2022 Elk Rifle Training

What is the cover like where you’ll be hunting? It’s pretty common to spot bulls at 300, 5-600 yards. Not that you have to shoot that far but even at 300 I wouldn’t go below 12 power. Big country will swallow up 9 power. 6 power is for hunting cover or places with max shooting distances of no more than 150- 200 yards. Do it right the first time it’s cheaper in the long run.

Fixed 6 and even 3-9 are deer hunting setups. Whitetails. Your scope is everything too regardless of what gun it’s on top of.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
What is the cover like where you’ll be hunting? It’s pretty common to spot bulls at 300, 5-600 yards. Not that you have to shoot that far but even at 300 I wouldn’t go below 12 power. Big country will swallow up 9 power. 6 power is for hunting cover or places with max shooting distances of no more than 150- 200 yards. Do it right the first time it’s cheaper in the long run.

Fixed 6 and even 3-9 are deer hunting setups. Whitetails. Your scope is everything too regardless of what gun it’s on top of.
I have to disagree on this. I use a 6x42, and shoot a lot longer distances that 150-200. More X's aren't a requirement for longer distances.. If you can't put a bullet where you need it with a 6x scope..... it ain't the scope.

We will be hunting the Bighorns in the fall. We plan to zero at 100 and then dial out to 400 at the range nearby. If she can't consistently put them in the "vitals" at that range then we'll see about something stronger. My buddy's contact out there said most shots should be around 200 or less, but to be prepared to shoot a little longer. I like the FOV on a 6x, and if its thick and we expect to have to move quickly, we wouldn't be walking around with it cranked up any higher anyway.

Legs are where its at.

If you run outta breathe when elk hunting, you can stop and recover it.

If you run outta legs when elk hunting, you are done.
Low weight/high rep back squats and front squats BELOW parallel if you are flexible enough.

Back squats will help with the climb and front squats will stabilize the descent.

I have a 4-12 power scope on my 7mm. Even if a lower power can get it done you’d be surprised at what you can do with a bigger one. It’s the internet so I knew some would disagree. At the range I’ll shoot 20 power even at 100 yards. When your target is bigger your groups are smaller. If your crosshairs are covering the bullseye you can do better.

Last edited:
I have a 4-12 power scope on my 7mm. Even if a lower power can get it done you’d be surprised at what you can do with a bigger one. It’s the internet so I knew some would disagree. At the range I’ll shoot 20 power even at 100 yards. When your target is bigger your groups are smaller. If your crosshairs are covering the bullseye you can do better.
I'll disagree again :) At the range I dial down to 10x or so at 100y. In the field I dial down o 4-6x at 100y. A bouncy crosshair and zoomed in too much I lose the animal in the field. At the range my groups are also better when I dial back some. 20x at 100y is too bouncy for me and my groups get really wild.

Geewhiz

WKR
I agree with more mag. I’ll take everything I can get. I rarely if ever take shots at moving animals through the timber so I don’t need the super wide fov. I couldn’t imagine trying to make a decent shot at 600+ yards using a 6x scope. I have a nxs 5.5-22 and more often than not I’m at 22x.

I agree with more mag. I’ll take everything I can get. I rarely if ever take shots at moving animals through the timber so I don’t need the super wide fov. I couldn’t imagine trying to make a decent shot at 600+ yards using a 6x scope. I have a nxs 5.5-22 and more often than not I’m at 22x.
I’m not interested in shooting at deer or elk at that kind of range. If it costs me or my daughter an opportunity so be it. We’ll try to work closer.

We’ve shot deer up to 200 yards away with 4-6x on a muzzleloader without any issues and they’re a heck of a lot smaller than an elk.

I’m not discounting the value of mag at long range, but inside 400 yards I think we’ll be fine.

You’ll be fine to 200. You’ll probably be ok a bit beyond that but once you hit 300 you’ll wish you had a higher magnification. If you lived near me I would very much like to take you to the range and turn you loose with my 12x as well as a scope up to 20 power. It’s not all about ling distances. Assuming I’m in the situation I strive to set myself up for meaning I have time I’ll shoot an elk at 150 yards at 20 power. I do NOT want my crosshairs covering my target. On 6 power at 300 yards you’ll be lucky to see exactly where on a 6 inch bullseye that you’re actually aiming. That means bigger groups. Hell no you don’t need to hit the 10 ring or even the 8 every time like a bench shooter. But to be prepared for all of the variables in the field your groups shouldn’t be much bigger than 6 inches at your max range. That’ll quickly turn into 10+ on the side of a mountain. If I’m on the move regardless of how open it is I’m dialed down to my minimum which is 6.5 and that’s fine. I’ve killed bulls at 35-80 yards in that situation. The gun is what it is. The scope makes or breaks it.

One thing is for sure Jjohnson…. you’re certainly doing your homework and I wish you the best of luck!

chindits

WKR
Don’t let these guys scare you. Old men pack out elk every year without ever touching a set of weights and only put a pack on when they’re out backpacking. You can pace yourself and take your time, it’s not a race. Even the pack out can be 3-4 days of moderate weight.

Of course most the old men doing this that I know live at 7-8k and live the mountain life.

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I’m tempted to stick with my 3-9 scope. My only hesitation is that with no hash marks on the reticle and zeroed at 200, the drop at 300 is 6.3 (maybe a reasonable amount to hold high eye balling it) and at 400 it’s 17.9 (feels harder to hold that high at a good estimate and shoot well). So I guess the question is limit myself to 300 or spend $.

Accountability so far this week:
Mon- lift
Tue- peloton HIIT
Wed- lift
Thur- ruck 1 mile @30lbs, run 1 mile, lunge 200yds @30lbs

Appreciate all the advice guys. Keep it coming.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Your groups will put him down no problem. We practice in the desert 200-600 yards dial shoot starting in spring. When it gets hot, we head to mountains, load packs, hike, dial and shoot rocks. We use the same quick stix setup during practice as we do during season.

First pic is summer practice, second pic she is holding over her bull she shot at 293 yards. He made it around 10 feet. After she dropped him I congratulated her and she said it was such an easy shot. Practice pays off, keep it up and good luck.

Attachments

• 16477BAC-EFD2-43E0-9BF5-3F5D3FFA9665.jpeg
    16477BAC-EFD2-43E0-9BF5-3F5D3FFA9665.jpeg
    614.2 KB · Views: 63
  • A3D60DD6-612F-4B7B-B837-F45C36211C8D.jpeg
    A3D60DD6-612F-4B7B-B837-F45C36211C8D.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 63