2022 Ford Lightning

dtrkyman

WKR
I am considering a E vehicle for the wife, keep my gas rig for traveling and hers for local stuff, a 200 plus mile range would work and she is about due for a new rig.

The Mach E mustang is not bad price wise, have not looked at Tesla.

sasquatch

WKR
Once we let the EVs take a strong hold gas vehicles will die off even faster due to price.

Then they’ll have us right where they want us. More restricted in what we can do and where we can go.

The question that came up related to comparing losing a pipeline vis comparable to losing the power grid is comical.

Gas gets moved around lots of other ways. I’d like to see electricity be shipped around like gas can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CorbLand

WKR
Once we let the EVs take a strong hold gas vehicles will die off even faster due to price.

Then they’ll have us right where they want us. More restricted in what we can do and where we can go.

The question that came up related to comparing losing a pipeline vis comparable to losing the power grid is comical.

Gas gets moved around lots of other ways. I’d like to see electricity be shipped around like gas can be.

Damn dude, can I borrow some tinfoil from your hat? I need to bake a potato.

I forgot we are more free to go where we want with our unlimited range, never have to fill up, gas powered vehicles.

Its also comical that people cant look to the future and think that everything we have now is all we will have. How long did it take to figure out ways to move fuel all the different ways? Why did we figure out how to move fuel in all the different ways? Shits and giggles or was there a reason? What came first, the gas powered car or gas stations in every town?

Demand will drive innovation.

Last edited:
I know there are naysayers, but I think this really is only a good thing.

If you think about it from the standpoint that gasoline is a finite resource and he's only going to become more and more and more expensive, then we need to get started on an alternative for vehicles, unless people just want to start writing bikes and horses.

I'm excited to get one at some point because it is cheaper per mile to drive, and produces less air pollution that actually harms YOU. Regardless of once thoughts on climate change, air pollution is a real thing and it sucks huge goat ass to live in a place that gets terrible in versions, the air quality is absolutely horrible most of the year, and you have these assholes that drive huge trucks to commute an hour one way in every day. I get that people have a preference of what they drive, and I do too. I would love to drive a large truck around every day, but I just can't do it when I think about how crappy the air is here.

Are rechargeable electric trucks actually a renewable resource? No. the industry for recycling and reclaiming the lithium from these batteries has only just started and sounds like it's only marginally profitable. So, for the most part, we're just throwing away batteries now instead of burning gasoline. And, if we have an entire Nations transportation system propelled electrically where that energy is coming from something like wind turbines, there's going to be an insane amount of wind turbines all over the country, on public land, and with that amount of resistance in hair patterns caused by the turbines that has got to have some sort of influence on weather patterns, if the number of turbines is large enough.

They're truly is absolutely no have your cake and eat it too with energy consumption as it is on a global scale. All we can do is try to minimize the effects, but it will inevitably drive our Earth into human extinction.

My wife tells me I'm a pessimist

Rob5589

WKR
My lack of clarity was not meant to deceive. Here's what I was referencing about gas stations.

A number of communities/states/countries have banned ICE vehicles in the future. Granted, it's 10-15 years away, but you can see how this will play out. At least I can.

Eddie
The CA power grid cannot handle people running their home AC in the summer (frequent outages). It is a hell of a long way from being able to handle tens of thousands of EV's.

That said, I'd own a Tesla. The people I know that have them, love them. An E-truck would be a no for me until it can do 600 miles unloaded and 400 while towing/loaded. I see EV's as in town and short commute vehicles currently.

woods89

WKR
I'm watching this with a lot of interest. It's not a good option for me right now as I use a 3/4 ton for work but I am intrigued by it. Obviously the current grid is an issue if EV's are adopted on a wide scale, but at the same time wouldn't this go a long way towards being independent from Middle Eastern oil?

As a contractor I have watched cordless tools advance at a rate that I would not have predicted 10 years ago. If vehicle battery tech does something similar I would guess some of these remaining hurdles will be cleared with a little time. But, who knows.........

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
IIRC, there is about a 400 year supply of oil in the ground at current consumption rates. This was pre WuFlu and whatever the population was 2-5 years ago. Even if my old brain is way off, we're not running out of fossil fuels in the next couple centuries.

Clean energy (most consider this to be solar and wind but there are others) will not support the demands needed for an ever growing world population. Anybody committed to clean energy enough to not use electricity for a few hours a day? What about China and India? These developing nations contribute ~50-60% of the world's carbon emissions yet they could give two craps about it.

Let's also not talk about the minerals and metals needed to make all these batteries and where that all occurs and who controls it. A little hint here: it ain't us and lots of people are being paid pennies a day to get the raw materials needed for your stylish, yet oh so green, Tesla batteries.

Eddie

...If you think about it from the standpoint that gasoline is a finite resource and he's only going to become more and more and more expensive...

sasquatch

WKR
Damn dude, can I borrow some tinfoil from your hat? I need to bake a potato.

I forgot we are more free to go where we want with our unlimited range, never have to fill up, gas powered vehicles.

Its also comical that people cant look to the future and think that everything we have now is all we will have. How long did it take to figure out ways to move fuel all the different ways? Why did we figure out how to move fuel in all the different ways? Shits and giggles or was there a reason? What came first, the gas powered car or gas stations in every town?

Demand will drive innovation.

Remember, that gas powered vehicle has the option to be filled up almost anywhere! It also creates a lot of jobs.

I’m all for innovation, just not tax payer funded innovation in today’s day of age. How much are we spending on green energy vs the return on that investment??

Demand will drive innovation. Take the tax payer incentives away and forced removal of fossil fuels and you’ll see that there is no real demand. It’s forced demand.

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
I'm watching this with a lot of interest. It's not a good option for me right now as I use a 3/4 ton for work but I am intrigued by it. Obviously the current grid is an issue if EV's are adopted on a wide scale, but at the same time wouldn't this go a long way towards being independent from Middle Eastern oil?

As a contractor I have watched cordless tools advance at a rate that I would not have predicted 10 years ago. If vehicle battery tech does something similar I would guess some of these remaining hurdles will be cleared with a little time. But, who knows.........

We were mostly independent from their oil until the new administration came in!

Broomd

WKR
Not just 'no, but 'hell no'......
Who this truck is not for...
People who tow long distances.
People who live in rural areas.
People who drive long distances for outdoor entertainment (hunting, fishing, skiing, etc.)
People who drive across the country to hunt.
People who tow loads over 5000lbs often. (A half ton would not be my first choice regardless of the motor powering it).
It will probably be some time before you see a EV option for folks who drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and really use them for their intended purpose. Heck, that may never come.

The heaviest item I have to tow is the pontoon boat, and its 24 miles to the launch we typically use.
I hunt, fish, ski, dirt bike, camp, etc. within 100 miles of home. I am fortunate to live in an area that has all that close by, others are not. So the idea of having a truck I can do all that with, not fill up, less maintenance and potentially have a back up power source for my house sounds pretty darn tempting. Of course we will always have a gas vehicle around, but this truck is much more appealing than the Tesla or the Rivian.
You forgot 'people who live in bitter cold climates'....I have a hard time believing those rigs will heat folks in -20*-- -40* temps across Canada and Alaska.....

CorbLand

WKR
Remember, that gas powered vehicle has the option to be filled up almost anywhere! It also creates a lot of jobs.

I’m all for innovation, just not tax payer funded innovation in today’s day of age. How much are we spending on green energy vs the return on that investment??

Demand will drive innovation. Take the tax payer incentives away and forced removal of fossil fuels and you’ll see that there is no real demand. It’s forced demand.

But those gas stations didn’t pop up before cars. The demand for fuel drove the demand for gas stations. The same will happen as EV become more popular. They are already popping all over.

tdhanses

WKR
But those gas stations didn’t pop up before cars. The demand for fuel drove the demand for gas stations. The same will happen as EV become more popular. They are already popping all over.
I wouldn’t say that, there are some but not nearly enough if EV took off big tomorrow, with a current 1% market share EV is far from main stream or big, just gets a lot of press Because some politicians want to push an agenda. It isn’t the answer but may be a short term thing till hydrogen takes off.

Natural gas would be better for the environment then EV and is extremely plentiful.

CorbLand

WKR
I wouldn’t say that, there are some but not nearly enough if EV took off big tomorrow, with a current 1% market share EV is far from main stream or big, just gets a lot of press Because some politicians want to push an agenda. It isn’t the answer but may be a short term thing till hydrogen takes off.

Natural gas would be better for the environment then EV and is extremely plentiful.
But it’s not going to happen over night.

tdhanses

WKR
But it’s not going to happen over night.
It’ll be interesting to see how EV changes with politics, everything we see today is political pandering and not a reality. Biden will be a one term admin, be interesting to see what the next admin does to push it or ignore it.

sasquatch

WKR

You right about the gas stations but are missing the big diff.

As it was evolving there wasn’t near a need to rush as mobility as a whole was growing. It all grew together back then. There was a small population of people and everything was done in small areas. There was no need to travel outside of individual neighborhoods then.

Now days we are fast and far moving. By the time it would ever get where it needs to be to come close to equal, we would likely be changing to something diff.

Also again, I don’t want us to be taxed to death to push this agenda. It’s not a natural evolution of travel. It’s much more forced now on us.

Mt Al

WKR
I've waited to respond since I have all the facts, answers and can tell the future perfectly. You're welcome.

The innovation we're using to discuss this innovation was predicted to end the world, save the world, change the world and make everything better and everything worse by those who think making predictions is anything but total absolute hog wash. I remember articles stating:
-that the internet wouldn't take off because the CB radio didn't take off. (I'm that old)
-"land fills will overflow with Prius batteries because they won't last!!!!" The oldest Prius batteries are still something like 80 - 90% efficient.
-A GM executive that my wife's brother works for telling his staff that it's physically impossible to make a car go farther than 100 miles on batteries and Tesla will fail in a few years. Thank God for people like Elon Musk who laugh at those people.

I know people who still believe in the laughable concept of "peak oil". We have more oil than we know what to do with. The left and right ideological fools make all kinds of dumb stuff up. Doesn't mean we have to accept it as fact and then apply it to electric vehicles. Both sides are making electric car predictions with the same accuracy as other predictions: nearly 0.00000% accuracy (+ or - 10% with a confidence interval of 95% and Z score of.....). New innovations aren't always the tool of the Devil or left wing to control us into dandies living in boxes eating tofu and lettuce.

I yearn for the GM Volt technology into an AWD CRV/Outback sized vehicle and a half ton truck. The Volt uses so little fuel they have to seal the tank against vapor loss, the battery works for 70% of the population's commute, then ZERO range anxiety when the gas motor takes over. Would love two vehicles like that!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I've waited to respond since I have all the facts, answers and can tell the future perfectly. You're welcome.

The innovation we're using to discuss this innovation was predicted to end the world, save the world, change the world and make everything better and everything worse by those who think making predictions is anything but total absolute hog wash. I remember articles stating:
-that the internet wouldn't take off because the CB radio didn't take off. (I'm that old)
-"land fills will overflow with Prius batteries because they won't last!!!!" The oldest Prius batteries are still something like 80 - 90% efficient.
-A GM executive that my wife's brother works for telling his staff that it's physically impossible to make a car go farther than 100 miles on batteries and Tesla will fail in a few years. Thank God for people like Elon Musk who laugh at those people.

I know people who still believe in the laughable concept of "peak oil". We have more oil than we know what to do with. The left and right ideological fools make all kinds of dumb stuff up. Doesn't mean we have to accept it as fact and then apply it to electric vehicles. Both sides are making electric car predictions with the same accuracy as other predictions: nearly 0.00000% accuracy (+ or - 10% with a confidence interval of 95% and Z score of.....). New innovations aren't always the tool of the Devil or left wing to control us into dandies living in boxes eating tofu and lettuce.

I yearn for the GM Volt technology into an AWD CRV/Outback sized vehicle and a half ton truck. The Volt uses so little fuel they have to seal the tank against vapor loss, the battery works for 70% of the population's commute, then ZERO range anxiety when the gas motor takes over. Would love two vehicles like that!
Between me and you, there is nothing left to be known.

gearguywb

WKR
The Ford is interesting. Not for me, at least right now due to hunting, back country travel, etc.

If you haven't driven one, go drive a Tesla. I poo-pooed them for a long time. Wife convinced me to drive one......unbelievable. After talking to a friend who has had one several years, we ordered one.

They are not for everyone, or for every situation, but for us, to use around town, on some trips (not hunting or outdoor related activities), I think it will fit the bill quite well and have some significant advantages.

If you like the feel of hard acceleration, do yourself a favor and drive one.

Deadfall

WKR
I live off grid. Little different then the vehicle thing. Solar and wind are fickle. As for batteries, well in my experience they last about half as ling as they are rated for. Lithium batteries are the only ones holding up to being drained at that kind of rate.

Anyone know where lithium comes from. It's not a good deal how that is mined. US. Has no say in how other countries operate.

Most of what everyone is talking about deals with carbon capture. Take a hard look at the oil companies and their advancements 8n carbon capture and what they are doing with it.

This whole green deal type stuff is a hoax!