2022 Haul Road Caribou Hunt. Who is going????

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah they are thermokarst puddles...like sink holes but through permafrost not sand/soil. They can be plate size or large ponds. look like water puddles but if you step in them the bottom can be inches to tens of feet deep like a tube of water. If an animal or man struggles on the way in, vegetation could easily cover a submerged corpse and conceal them entirely within seconds. crazy but true shit.

OP
SKIHUNTFISH
Folks,

We just got home from our trip up the haul road. Thank you all for your help. What a blast. Spent a few days hunting single bulls around Happy Valley then decided to drive up to Deadhorse and see what options we had along the way. We ended up coming into quite a few Caribou about 40 miles south of DH. We hunted a few hours but didn't get inside 100 yards that first day up there. Decided to hike out to rifle range and hunt out there. We got on a few Caribou out there but they were all cows. The fog made it a challenge to see what was what until you got to 150ish yards. We decided we would hunt the road with bows the rest of the trip and the next morning we got one about 1 mile from the road. Shot was at 85 yards. Just ate the tenderloins last night which were great. I will differently be going back to AK. If anyone has questions about the hunt I am happy to help.
59962-jpeg.451696
59964.jpeg

Attachments

• 59962.jpeg
    59962.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 269

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I had a close call with one myself while up there solo about 5 years ago. It was a scary experience for sure. Hopefully they find him soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you please elaborate on this? Would be a good lesson for those of us who haven’t encountered the situation.

Can you please elaborate on this? Would be a good lesson for those of us who haven’t encountered the situation.
I'd like to know as well as I will more than likely be up that way every year hunting caribou after my first trip up there a couple weeks ago.

LCoult

FNG
We are headed up 1st of August. Bring on the bugs.
How was it? Hopefully you had some luck! Me and some buddies are headed up the first week of August this year and I was curious if you still saw solid numbers of caribou, and if the bugs were too bad?