2022 Haul Road Caribou Hunt. Who is going????

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I had never heard of this hunt but it sounds right up my alley!! I am putting it on my short list. I will be retired this year so possibilities are endless!!!

OP
SKIHUNTFISH
I'm in full planning mode now and have a few questions that Im hoping to get some help with.

1. Does anyone have a good grocery list they can share for a 10 day haul road trip with an in bed camper? We will have a small cook top in the camper but will also bring a camp stove.

2. What do you guys do about coolers for food and then meat? I saw a video of a guy who checked one on the airline. Is that what most people are doing?

Thanks for the help.

Best,

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard of people being able to pay for air boat to take them in past the 5 mile line. I am not referring to a booked hunt, but some times they are doing it on a walk up type deal. If anyone knows what kind of cost and chances of using this option. If so please PM me your experience.

Deerkilr

FNG
I have a haul road hunt booked for the first two weeks of September.

Who else is going? When will you be there?

I come from the offshore fishing world and it would be great to at least have some contacts to share info with while on the road in the same way that we do with offshore runs for Tuna.

Lets help each other and keep from interfering with each others stalks.

Thanks.
First post on here.
Headed up with my buddy and his dad (Summer time AK resident). Flying out of TX 8/15 and coming home 8/24. Hoping to get on one with the bows! Went up in 2020 toward Central and got to watch my dad put his first Bou down!

jdvanstar

WKR
I'm in full planning mode now and have a few questions that Im hoping to get some help with.

1. Does anyone have a good grocery list they can share for a 10 day haul road trip with an in bed camper? We will have a small cook top in the camper but will also bring a camp stove.

2. What do you guys do about coolers for food and then meat? I saw a video of a guy who checked one on the airline. Is that what most people are doing?

Thanks for the help.

Best,
If you've got a stove and a camper, it really opens up food chocies. Buy food there and store in a cheap cooler (we use dry ice to keep things cold that we'll want to eat later in the week). For the trip back, throw your meat in those same coolers but put dry ice on top - that tends to freeze everything underneath solid. Make sure you remove any dry ice before flying and duct tape before you go. Check the coolers.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who works as a pilot car on that road please have a cb radio in you vehicle. We run channel 19, you can also ask what area the animals are in. I've seen some crazy stuff up there when a herd is close to the road. Hope you have a safe and successful hunt.

I havent spent time up there but i assume when trucks are way oversized they will have a pilot car a little ways infront of them to alert traffic that there is an oversized vehicle coming up . Also probably a look out for the oversized vehicle to let them know if there are any issues coming up.

palefty45

FNG
I have a haul road hunt booked for the first two weeks of September.

Who else is going? When will you be there?

I come from the offshore fishing world and it would be great to at least have some contacts to share info with while on the road in the same way that we do with offshore runs for Tuna.

Lets help each other and keep from interfering with each others stalks.

Thanks.
we will be up Aug 20-sep 2

Aa03

FNG
I am going to try for 2023. What’d they charge for a truck rental for that period?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Was on the southside of the Divide in Central Arctic Herd spring migration territory last week burying an old friend. Hoping actual herd dynamics are better than the 500-600 herd sample we witnessed all week. No new calves dropped yet (trip dates May 31-June4) but may have been a week early to witness that. Yearling calf survival was about 8% of those hundreds of caribou counted.

River wasn't quite ready to float though.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Was on the southside of the Divide in Central Arctic Herd spring migration territory last week burying an old friend. Hoping actual herd dynamics are better than the 500-600 herd sample we witnessed all week. No new calves dropped yet (trip dates May 31-June4) but may have been a week early to witness that. Yearling calf survival was about 8% of those hundreds of caribou counted.

Nice tribute to Chachi. Sorry for your loss Larry.

jdvanstar

WKR

Cool thing to do for a good friend

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
We may or may not run up there for a suicide run once the weather hits up there. Had a very humbling experience last year.

Pending sheep season this year we may haul up the raft and do a float next fall. Time will tell.