2022 Head To Head Bow Test

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
11/9/22 update:
Zach’s review is live! This is part I with all the eight head to head bow tests. Part II will take all the bows on some actual hunts. Zach worked hard on this as
usual:

2/15/23 update: Part II is live!

Head To Head Bow Test: Part 2

I am doing a Head to Head Bow Test. I reach out to a lot of companies and the companies that decided to participate in the test are:
  • Gear Head Archery
  • Mathews
  • PSE
  • Prime
  • Hoyt
DSC09336.jpg

DSC09312.jpgDSC09313.jpgScreen Shot 2022-07-23 at 7.48.19 AM.jpg

Thanks to vapor trail for sending rests for each one of the bows, stokerized for sending a stabilizer, and black gold for sending brackets so that I can just swap the dual trac sight in between bows.

This test will have a part 1 and a part 2.

Consistency Insurance:
  • This will be a 100% non-bias review.
  • Each bow will be shot approximately 100 times for break in, string and cable stretch prior to being evaluated.
  • All bows set at same draw length and weight within .5lbs
  • The same sight, rest, stabilizer, and sling will be used during each test.
  • The same arrow will be used in each test.
  • All bows will be shot without a quiver.

Test Part 1: Evaluate, test, and compare: This will allow me to compare the bows as closely as possible and to insure consistency.
  • Tuning ease
  • Draw cycle
  • Back wall
  • Hold at full draw
  • True arrow speeds at my draw length.
  • Bow noise measured in decibels conducted in the same area to help with consistency.
  • Ease of shooting positions: Standing, kneeling, sitting.
  • Shooting from ground blind.
  • Shooting from tree stand.
  • Shooting field points (grouping recorded every 20 yards 0-80 yards)
  • Shooting mechanical broadheads (grouping recorded every 20 yards 0-80 yards)
  • Shooting fixed blade broadheads (grouping recorded every 20 yards 0-80 yards)
    • Ease of tuning bows to shoot broadheads will be evaluated during the broadhead shooting process.

Test Part 2: Field test. Each bow will be taken on a hunt. The goal is to shoot at least one animal, with each bow. During this time, I will evaluate, test, and compare:
  • Durability
  • Packability
  • Performance in current weather conditions
  • Ease of use in the field (stalking with bow, tree stand, blind etc.)

While I am conducting the test, compiling footage, and editing the final review please feel free to chime in with any other ideas or things you would specifically like to see tested. I will do what I can to accommodate and or answer questions.

@robby denning @mathewsinc @prime @gearheadarchery @PSE @Hoyt @vaportrail @stokerized @blackgold

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
A draw force curve for each bow would be interesting as a way to objectively evaluate draw cycles and (if you really want to get nerdy) to calculate how efficient each bow is at converting the work done by the archer (potential energy) into kinetic energy. Looking forward to the results of your testing!
I like this idea. I'm not exactly sure how to do that without certain machines, but I do really like the idea. I'll see what I can do.

I like this idea. I'm not exactly sure how to do that without certain machines, but I do really like the idea. I'll see what I can do.
All you need for a draw force curve is a draw board and draw weight scale. Hook the scale to the d-loop, slowly draw the bow on the draw board, and record the scale reading and distance you've drawn the bow at regular increments from brace to full draw. A pre-measured arrow with hash marks on the shaft every 1/4" makes it easy to measure distance drawn as you go. If you record the data points, I would be happy to graph them and calculate potential energy for you.

As an example, below is a draw force curve and PE calculation I did a few years back:
Screenshot_20200826-094043.png
Distance DrawnScale Reading
inlb

Last edited:
OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
All you need for a draw force curve is a draw board and draw weight scale. Hook the scale to the d-loop, slowly draw the bow on the draw board, and record the scale reading and distance you've drawn the bow at regular increments from brace to full draw. A pre-measured arrow with hash marks on the shaft every 1/4" makes it easy to measure distance drawn as you go. If you record the data points, I would be happy to graph them and calculate potential energy for you.
ha ha yeah that is pretty simple duh on my part. I appreciate the help. I will see what I can do about that!

Last edited:
ha ha yeah that is pretty simple duh on my part. I appreciate the help. I will see what I can do about that!
Looking forward to your review, always enjoy the ones you do. But hurry up, I need to know if I should sell my Levitate for something else better before my elk hunt next month!

😃

CO-AJ

WKR
Will be watching this. I chose the V3X over the Ventum pro and the Inline. Ventum was a close second, didn't care for the Inline, my 3rd place was Bowtech SR350. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Following for sure. All great how’s this year. I know which one I liked best but always fun to let someone else’s thoughts/observations get inside my head haha!!

High Voltage

Lil-Rokslider
I am doing a Head to Head Bow Test. I reach out to a lot of companies and the companies that decided to participate in the test are:
  • Gear Head Archery
  • Mathews
  • PSE
  • Prime
  • Hoyt
View attachment 431392

View attachment 431393View attachment 431394View attachment 431395

Thanks to vapor trail for sending rests for each one of the bows, stokerized for sending a stabilizer, and black gold for sending brackets so that I can just swap the dual trac sight in between bows.

This test will have a part 1 and a part 2.

Consistency Insurance:
  • This will be a 100% non-bias review.
  • Each bow will be shot approximately 100 times for break in, string and cable stretch prior to being evaluated.
  • All bows set at same draw length and weight within .5lbs
  • The same sight, rest, stabilizer, and sling will be used during each test.
  • The same arrow will be used in each test.
  • All bows will be shot without a quiver.

Test Part 1: Evaluate, test, and compare: This will allow me to compare the bows as closely as possible and to insure consistency.
  • Tuning ease
  • Draw cycle
  • Back wall
  • Hold at full draw
  • True arrow speeds at my draw length.
  • Bow noise measured in decibels conducted in the same area to help with consistency.
  • Ease of shooting positions: Standing, kneeling, sitting.
  • Shooting from ground blind.
  • Shooting from tree stand.
  • Shooting field points (grouping recorded every 20 yards 0-80 yards)
  • Shooting mechanical broadheads (grouping recorded every 20 yards 0-80 yards)
  • Shooting fixed blade broadheads (grouping recorded every 20 yards 0-80 yards)
    • Ease of tuning bows to shoot broadheads will be evaluated during the broadhead shooting process.

Test Part 2: Field test. Each bow will be taken on a hunt. The goal is to shoot at least one animal, with each bow. During this time, I will evaluate, test, and compare:
  • Durability
  • Packability
  • Performance in current weather conditions
  • Ease of use in the field (stalking with bow, tree stand, blind etc.)

While I am conducting the test, compiling footage, and editing the final review please feel free to chime in with any other ideas or things you would specifically like to see tested. I will do what I can to accommodate and or answer questions.

@robby denning @mathewsinc @prime @gearheadarchery @PSE @Hoyt @vaportrail @stokerized @blackgold
Following