2022 Idaho Muley Buck

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
Finding mature mule deer is hard, hunting them is even harder, trying to do it after tearing my PCL/MCL on August 28th made it damn near impossible. But after an aggressive rehabilitation (which is still ongoing) I was able to get my biggest buck to date on the last day (More on the hunt later). Hunting season 2022 was shaping up to be an epic season. I scouted hard during late summer, located some good bucks, drainages holding solid bears, density of elk herds, bow was dialed, I felt good physically, then boom, I suffer a gnarly knee injury riding my mountain bike 2 days before the Idaho early general archery season opened. I was gutted. I live a very active lifestyle and injuries are a part of it, so I did what I always do, attack the recovery process like it is an enemy that needs closing with and destroying (Former Marine, sorry but not sorry). By the last couple days of the archery season, I felt good enough to walk around, so I limped into some of my spots and sure enough, pressure, hot weather, and seasonal changes in animal behavior put the stamp on me being an unsuccessful archery hunter this year. Check, what is next? Rifle deer, roger that. Made the annual trip to the range and dialed the long gun, started hitting my mid-season spots looking for deer. October 10th arrives and I'm hunting, moving slowly with a knee brace, and glassing my eyeballs out. Over the course of 2 weeks, I hunt, I go to work, I hunt some more, check in on the wife and kids, and eventually go hunting again. On October 15th, I set up on a solid 3x3 bedded buck, I contemplate for 30 minutes with the rifle out, spotter on him, but ultimately decide to pass. I wanted a mature 4x4, and cold weather was coming. Hunt a couple more days on and off with work, and here comes the last day of the season in my unit. I was certain that passing on the 3 point was a bad idea.

A lot happened on the last day, brief synopsis is, I glassed a couple does, they were constantly looking to their rear, I look and there is a big frame buck, head straight out, dogging these does. I don't count points, frame said it all, I move in across canyon. Drop pack, jack 3 rounds in, move down off my side of the ridge, set-up 200yds across from them. I cant see the buck anymore, but I can hear him thrashing a tree, I locate the tree and wait. 20 minutes goes by, he steps out, I shoot, he looks bad but still standing, put 2 more in him, and he walks down into the canyon bottom out of site. I wait for an hour, move down ridge, drop elevation, and start looking as I walk up. No blood and I'm 20 yards from where he was standing at first shot. I'm really confused because he should have walked right up my path and I should have seen blood. I cross the bottom, start walking to the shot, and there he is piled up down in the dry creek bed, mere feet below where he was hit. He's got mass and trash, I'm in heaven. Call in a buddy, he drops what he is doing, and within 30 minutes is out the door and on his way. We take pictures, admire his existence, work him up, & pack him out.

2022 Buck.jpg

Last edited:
Finding mature mule deer is hard, hunting them is even harder, trying to do it after tearing my PCL/MCL on August 28th made it damn near impossible. But after an aggressive rehabilitation (which is still ongoing) I was able to get my biggest buck to date on the last day (More on the hunt later). Hunting season 2022 was shaping up to be an epic season. I scouted hard during late summer, located some good bucks, drainages holding solid bears, density of elk herds, bow was dialed, I felt good physically, then boom, I suffer a gnarly knee injury riding my mountain bike 2 days before the Idaho early general archery season opened. I was gutted. I live a very active lifestyle and injuries are a part of it, so I did what I always do, attack the recovery process like it is an enemy that needs closing with and destroying (Former Marine, sorry but not sorry). By the last couple days of the archery season, I felt good enough to walk around, so I limped into some of my spots and sure enough, pressure, hot weather, and seasonal changes in animal behavior put the stamp on me being an unsuccessful archery hunter this year. Check, what is next? Rifle deer, roger that. Made the annual trip to the range and dialed the long gun, started hitting my mid-season spots looking for deer. October 10th arrives and I'm hunting, moving slowly with a knee brace, and glassing my eyeballs out. Over the course of 2 weeks, I hunt, I go to work, I hunt some more, check in on the wife and kids, and eventually go hunting again. On October 15th, I set up on a solid 3x3 bedded buck, I contemplate for 30 minutes with the rifle out, spotter on him, but ultimately decide to pass. I wanted a mature 4x4, and cold weather was coming. Hunt a couple more days on and off with work, and here comes the last day of the season in my unit. I was certain that passing on the 3 point was a bad idea.

A lot happened on the last day, brief synopsis is, I glassed a couple does, they were constantly looking to their rear, I look and there is a big frame buck, head straight out, dogging these does. I don't count points, frame said it all, I move in across canyon. Drop pack, jack 3 rounds in, move down off my side of the ridge, set-up 200yds across from them. I cant see the buck anymore, but I can hear him thrashing a tree, I locate the tree and wait. 20 minutes goes by, he steps out, I shoot, he looks bad but still standing, put 2 more in him, and he walks down into the canyon bottom out of site. I wait for an hour, move down ridge, drop elevation, and start looking as I walk up. No blood and I'm 20 yards from where he was standing at first shot. I'm really confused because he should have walked right up my path and I should have seen blood. I cross the bottom, start walking to the shot, and there he is piled up down in the dry creek bed, mere feet below where he was hit. He's got mass and trash, I'm in heaven. Call in a buddy, he drops what he is doing, and within 30 minutes is out the door and on his way. We take pictures, admire his existence, work him up, & pack him out.

View attachment 467702
Great buck. good job!

oryxman

FNG

View attachment 467702
Nice buck

sneaky

"DADDY"
The fire and maneuver part of locating and closing with worked out well devil. Semper gumby 😂

Brent

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 467702
Damn fine buck! Congrats!