2022 Mule deer areas

zekesteve

FNG
Hello, just made my first 2 trips west this year, elk archery and rifle. Next year I want to add Mule deer to the trip. My idea is to add a 7-10 day hunt after 10 days in Wyoming for archery elk Sep. So leave Wy and hunt either SD or CO on the way back home (east). Afraid if I try to deer hunt Wyoming I won't truly be focused (if I'm still carrying an unfilled elk tag). I know they're vastly different terrain, so for a first time, wanting to spot and stalk archery what do people think? What questions do I need to be asking myself? This will be DIY, public land camping, etc.

Fitzwho

WKR
I’d be looking at CO deer areas you can draw. If you don’t have points you’re options will be slightly limited or you’d need to pick up a leftover. Depends also on how far out of your way you want to drive from Wyoming Elk country to Colorado. I don’t archery hunt so I’m not up to date on archery deer draw odds in CO.

In South Dakota archery tags are unlimited but you still have to apply to get one.

OP
Z

zekesteve

FNG
I’d be looking at CO deer areas you can draw. If you don’t have points you’re options will be slightly limited or you’d need to pick up a leftover. Depends also on how far out of your way you want to drive from Wyoming Elk country to Colorado. I don’t archery hunt so I’m not up to date on archery deer draw odds in CO.

In South Dakota archery tags are unlimited but you still have to apply to get one.
Thank you. I think time wise it's almost identical whether I drive I-70 or I-90 for that leg. I've got a couple of friends that hunt every year about 3 hours NW of Denver. That might be the best solution, drive to their camp, set up and be with some guys who are successful.

OP
Z

zekesteve

FNG
Ha Ha Ha Especially after we saw a STUD 4x4 one evening! Frankly, I'm afraid if I mule deer hunt in Wy I might be too distracted by my elk tag. If I draw a completely different area/unit, that could work. Would certainly allow for more hunting time and not give up a day or 2 to relocate to another state, set up camp, etc. Apparently our elk unit has a high mountain lion population too, we found 2 different mule deer kill sites within a mike of our camp site.