2022 Sheep Harvest Photos

Tanner

WKR
It was an honest mistake and tried to rectify it quickly once brought to my attention. Don’t want to ruin anything for anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t sweat it too much. You took it down pretty quick.

The problem is when a guide or outfitter asks a hunter to simply mind the background of the photos they post, and said client/hunter disregards completely and plasters the photos on a huge public forum and Facebook. It’s happened many times for outfits I work for and to me just shows pure indifference to the outfit that just treated you well and helped you pursue your hunting goals.

schmalzy

WKR

The problem is when a guide or outfitter asks a hunter to simply mind the background of the photos they post, and said client/hunter disregards completely and plasters the photos on a huge public forum and Facebook. It’s happened many times for outfits I work for and to me just shows pure indifference to the outfit that just treated you well and helped you pursue your hunting goals.

I hear you there. Nothing mentioned in any regard about it or I wouldn’t have in the first place.

Anyways, sorry to clutter up an awesome thread. Hope to see more great rams.

schmalzy

WKR
Alright, let’s try this again.

358ed0a36c928c3da0399dfb64298404.jpg

Daves243

FNG
Finally the sheep fed into a bowl where we could make a move. We immediately took off after them. Four hours later (after thousands of feet of elevation gained and lost) we peak over the top of the ridge and my dream ram is bedded 565yds from us. A quick note on that, I had shot my rifle EVERY day for sixty days. I would shoot 1-3 rds and then put it up. I am not a guy who has a lot of guns and this is one that I had used for several years. I am lucky that I live on a farm and put together with dirt and work a 550 yd range. It isn’t the “ideal sheep rifle.” It’s heavy. (10lbs empty) It’s got a long barrel. But it worked.
(specs .300 Winchester, 26” brux, manners eh1, 215 Berger bullets.)
We made a quick move out the ridge and got to 420yds which was as close as we could get and waited laying prone with the rifle rested across the top lid of my guides pack. When the sheep stood up almost an hour later, my dream came true.
View attachment 435861
We broke the sheep down and started back to the nearest airstrip which we knew would be a two day trek for us. No sooner had we started walking the weather turned bad it rained hard enough you couldn’t see fifty feet. Pretty sketchy for a middle Tennessee boy walking on slippery rocks. Haha! An hour later the sun was back out. Didn’t I mention the weather is crazy?
After a few falls and a lot of sliding we eventually made it to the airstrip.

Once back at base camp I got to do some fishing with the boys. (A lot of Harold’s children and nieces/nephews come up to spend the summer)
They agreed to take me fishing if they got to drive the boat. That was a deal I couldn’t pass up.
Ah man thanks for sharing. This is my dream hunt someday. What a beautiful ram.

Bambistew

WKR

Guides have been known to post plenty of scenery pics ad well 😉

schmalzy

WKR
I know that spot!

Great ram and congrats man.

Curious, what did they age him at? Hard to tell if he has some annuli stacked up there at the bases.

Hahah thank you.

8 years. 37 and 2/8 for each side.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice Ram. Mine was very similar from AK a week-and-a-half ago too. 8 yrs old, 36 & 36 2/16” with 14” bases. Congrats!

The rams coming out of Canada since it reopened have been insane. Sucked that it closed down but seems like the sheep benefited from it. You always here of winter kills knocking out an age class but here is basically the opposite since minimal hunting was done.
That actually has not been the case at all. Some nice rams have come through on social media, but in reality, most of the NWT concessions have faced much tougher hunting in 2021 and so far in 2022, and overall age is down materially (per the NWT department of resources rep in Norman Wells who plugs the rams). The issue seems to be magnified the further north you go in the Makenzies.

Some of the most reputable and well run concessions in the Makenzies have already had a good number of clients go home empty handed this year, most having never seen a single ram with age (10 years plus). This scenario was virtually unheard of in recent history of the Makenzies’ concessions. The bottom line is that Mackenzies weren’t immune to the past two winters, not even close, and the region overall is in a “valley” in terms of age class. The rapidly increasing use of helicopters in scouting efforts amongst certain of the concessions have covered the Makenzies current shortcomings to a degree, but don’t kid yourself, it’s not currently at the standards we hold the Makenzies to.

The silver lining however is that given the quality of the outfitters calling the shots in the Mackenzies, and their conservative nature, things should rebound fairly quickly assuming Mother Nature cooperates the next couple winters.

z987k

WKR
That actually has not been the case at all. Some nice rams have come through on social media, but in reality, most of the NWT concessions have faced much tougher hunting in 2021 and so far in 2022, and overall age is down materially (per the NWT department of resources rep in Norman Wells who plugs the rams). The issue seems to be magnified the further north you go in the Makenzies.

Some of the most reputable and well run concessions in the Makenzies have already had a good number of clients go home empty handed this year, most having never seen a single ram with age (10 years plus). This scenario was virtually unheard of in recent history of the Makenzies’ concessions. The bottom line is that Mackenzies weren’t immune to the past two winters, not even close, and the region overall is in a “valley” in terms of age class. The rapidly increasing use of helicopters in scouting efforts amongst certain of the concessions have covered the Makenzies current shortcomings to a degree, but don’t kid yourself, it’s not currently at the standards we hold the Makenzies to.

The silver lining however is that given the quality of the outfitters calling the shots in the Mackenzies, and their conservative nature, things should rebound fairly quickly assuming Mother Nature cooperates the next couple winters.
lol. Conservative and helicopters.