2022 Turkey Season

Would love to watch how everyone's session is doing. I got on the board opening morning in Tennessee!

Best of luck to everyone!
9852c965a7b6072fbb0dd5559ded1b2c.jpg

Rellim33

FNG
Congrats everyone! Patiently waiting for the season to begin on the 30th in PA! As I see strutters to and from work everyday… to full fans and long beards, good luck all!

OP
ShortMountain91
Got my 2nd of the season and man was it an exciting hunt! Set up in a fence row on the edge of a field that runs into a patch of timber. There's a small field and another patch of timber on the neighboring property. First thing in the morning one starts gobbling like crazy on the neighboring property. Eventually 2 hens come cross the field I'm set up in and one checks out my decoys hard. They hop the fence and go to the gobbler that's still hammering every 15 min. Once those hens get to him I started calling again. He answers. Hit him again with a little more pace. Answers again. I shut up and he hits it again. I think this gets him intrigued to see why that last hen won't come over. He starts coming toward me but my back's to him. Eventually I can hear him drumming. Then I can hear his steps. He walks across the fence probably 5 yards from me and I'm statue still. He sees the jake decoy and is ready for a fight. I try to start easing my gun up when his heads turned away from me. Don't get it shouldered and he's already at the decoys and realizing something ain't right. Get the gun on the shoulder and he's booking it out of there but it's too late for him. Let the round off and he's flopping! Get him home in time for the kids to check him out and get the meat pulled. Wow what a morning. This is what it's all about.
f376e887cb75246cf0e27cd9d5d3cf2a.jpg

Titan_Bow

WKR
I hunt SW Nebraska for archery turkey and the drought out here is bad. I was going back through some older pics from the same creek bottoms 5 or more years ago, taken at the same time of year, and the bottoms were green. The last couple years they have been brown and dead.
I have getting into birds but they seem way more concentrated in just a few spots as compared to previous years. Not sure if the numbers are way down due to drought, or the lack of ag planting since Covid is playing a role.
Anyways, it’s always fun to chase turkeys! Here the bird I arrowed on Saturday, mid-morning. I had heard a fired up gobbler down in the creek bottom, snuck in and set up a hen decoy and did some light yelps. He fired off and I could tell he was coming. I hear a bird coming in and it’s a hen. She mills around near my decoy, and I finally see the big gobbler 60 yards away on some high ground. He sees the hen and my decoy and immediately goes to strut at that distant. Of course the hen starts meandering that way, so I know he’s not coming any further. I keep up with scratching and light yelps and purring. Out of the corner of my eye I see movement, and another Tom comes sneaking into my decoy. He was obviously subordinate to the big bird at full strut 60 yards out, almost no color in his head, but he had a long beard so I didn’t hesitate to pop him.
I might experiment next year with some of those bullhead type broadheads. I hit this bird a little low and farther back, plus he was angled away. That big 2” rage cut his thigh clean in two, went up through his entrails, and poked out cutting through the opposite breast. I’ve shot a handful of turkeys now with my compound with mechanicals, and while it’s nice not losing birds, man do they tear them up bad.
698d0a16096d5cde9d183d60775dbdad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt SW Nebraska for archery turkey and the drought out here is bad.

I have getting into birds but they seem way more concentrated in just a few spots as compared to previous years. Not sure if the numbers are way down due to drought, or the lack of ag planting since Covid is playing a role.

I had a friend hunting back around McCook over the weekend, he said numbers seemed significantly lower. It was so dry last summer I wonder what chick survival was. I'll be back hunting in a couple weeks, but I'm already a little nervous about what the numbers will look like I'm the areas I usually hunt

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day for season 2 in IL Saturday. Fortunately, i have a picture to share, unfortunately it only lasted 30 minutes into season :ROFLMAO:

Roosted him the night before, snuck in before daylight. Called to him in the tree and his hens started up. I aggressively called back at his hens for 20 minutes until they flew down and walked right to me. This bird was on a mission as i never had to shoot in self defense lol. He strutted into me eyeing my tree and i shot at 8 yards coming in hot.
Let the old school model 835 bark today as well, figured i had to dust this off to give it another seasonKIMG0281.JPG

OP
ShortMountain91
Back at it again in TN this good friday. Hearing birds but they don't wanna play ball today. Still plenty of season left. Hope it's going good for everyone!