2022 week to hunt

MnWildFan

FNG
Hey fellas-

I have to commit to a 6 day time frame for next year’s archery elk season. I can do first week or last week in September. This is in Montana by the way.

I’m leaning end of September- better moon phase and less heat. Any other considerations I’m missing?

SKOL

thanks.

DanimalW

WKR
I would do the last week too, but more importantly, I’d try to make time for a few extra days.

IdahoElk

WKR
I would do either of the two middle weeks, last week I've seen more times than not snow in the high country with real low temps. Most if not all Elk by the last week have been screwed with by other hunters and are more cautious to respond to calling.

I would do either of the two middle weeks, last week I've seen more times than not snow in the high country with real low temps. Most if not all Elk by the last week have been screwed with by other hunters and are more cautious to respond to calling.
The last week of September would be my preference because of what you said: cooler temps, and more rut (which seems to happen later every year I swear).

But, IdahoElk is right. By the end week of the month the elk have been chased around so much it sucks hard trying to find them and get them to cooperate. So I’d say go on or as close to opener as possible.

nphunter

WKR
For me personally, the last week would be a no-brainer because I love chasing bugling bulls with my bow. However, if you enjoy tree stand hunting and your goal is to kill a bull then an early season tree stand or blind over water can be very productive. It really just depends on what you are after, I feel like the most productive and successful way to constantly kill an elk is to sit water or a well-used area. For me, the whole reason I love elk hunting with a bow is that I love the interaction with the animals and for that reason I like later in the season. I have however had great interactions during the first week of the season as well and have probably called in more bulls during the first 10 days of Sept than any other time.

Most of peak rut is spent bugling back and forth chasing the herd trying to slip in while they are doing their thing, calling can be productive for smaller bulls but most of the breeder bulls will be more difficult to call in that time of year. I use the term breeder bulls because depending on the area even 4 year old 5 points will be running cows and difficult to call in.

big44a4

WKR
Went opening week last year. Don’t think you can go wrong. Will be less people opening week for sure. I still got into some bugles with a couple days having great action.