2022 Z71 Tahoe

Anybody have one? How do you like it? I'm thinking of trading my 2019 Chevy Trailboss for one...I only drive my truck on the weekends now, and drive a smaller vehicle back and forth to work. My wife drives my truck during the week because her work is only about a mile from home. Since we've been doing this, I've found that I don't really use the bed of my truck that much as far as hauling stuff. I usually end up towing a 5'x10' trailer and the Tahoe will do that, plus has more room for the kiddos, 3rd row seating, and on hunting trips it has plenty of room and would keep my stuff dry... and my wife likes them more than my truck so there's that. Just hoping to get some firsthand knowledge before I commit.

Can’t help with the new ones but I have been driving and hunting pot of a 2003 Tahoe for 16 years and don’t think I would ever need a truck. I don’t tow campers or heavy loads. I can say it has been the perfect vehicle for us. Has over 307,000 miles on it and going strong. Will be driving it to Yellowstone on a family vacation next month lol

dtrkyman

WKR
I’d buy an AT4 but don’t have the 75k!

I also ride a lot of trails and not sure these larger rigs would fit, my Grand Cherokee is technically too small but is awesome on tight trails, other than the pin stripes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
They're pricey for sure!! The one I'm looking at will be right around 65k, but I only owe 20K and some change on my truck and should get around 40k on trade and maybe a little more so it won't be too bad. I honestly hate to spend that much even, but at the same time I'll get a lot for my truck so if I'm going to trade at all now is probably the time I guess.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I'm biased towards Suburbans and think they're great when you have a family and want to do outdoors stuff. I did upgrade from my 2008 suburban last spring with a 2021 Yukon XL. The things I noticed are:
  • There isn't much room behind the third row in a Tahoe, vs the suburban gives you plenty of room, which is why I've owned suburbans. The cost differential isn't that much in my opinion and worth it. I also run a rack and box on top for added storage typically for skis.
  • The Tahoe should be better on ground clearance and turning radius with the shorter wheelbase.
  • The new version has the independent suspension, so the control arms (?) hang down low on the rear and compromise ground clearance in my opinion.
  • Pre spike in gas prices I would have recommended the 6.2 engine vs the 5.3. I always felt the 5.3 was a bit underpowered loaded with a family and pulling a trailer. That being said, with gas this high, I'm not sure it's worth it. We 'survived' for years on the 5.3 and made it fine.
  • The AT4 has an electronic limited slip differential vs mechanical for Chevy. I think it's superior, but not a show stopper.
  • You can't mod/flash the ECU. You're stuck with what they designed. I'd love to turn off auto start/stop but can't. During covid, some models came with out start/stop for $50. They may have reinstituted it.
I'll PM you if I can think of anything else.

snipe10

FNG
Get the burb, I had the 2022 Tahoe for 2 months, then a 2022 Burb for another 2 months (don't ask, sort of in the car business) until my 2022 Chevy HD3500 High Country arrived. I always choose the Burb over the Tahoe when grabbing one. You won't be sorry as the new Burb's have the 6.2 liter engine and independent suspension.

Which motors keep bending push rods under 10k miles, I’d probably stay away from that package

Catchfish

WKR
I’ve heard the 5.3 is giving lots of fits, the cycling on off isn’t helping the situation I guess.

Agross

WKR
If you do make the switch, I would definitely go suburban. So much more room than a Tahoe. My wife learned that the hard way after not listening to me. She put up with it for a year and then switched to a suburban and loves it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Good luck finding one!

A Tahoe RST with a 3.0 diesel is a pretty sweet setup! Especially when diesel and gas level out again. Took my Silverado 3.0L to Moab this weekend. Average 25mpg from Denver to moab with a 15-20mph headwind. On the way back did closer to 30 with a slight tail wind. Got 47mpg from Eisenhower tunnel to Denver. Lol.

hunt1up

WKR
Do the new ones still have the DOD feature?
I have a 2022 Silverado with a 5.3 and it doesn't have the DOD, or AFM, or whatever it's called. I'm pretty sure they quit it in 2021 but I'm not positive.

I had a 2016 previously that I put 141k miles on and that truck was pretty much perfect, even with AFM. The only repair it ever needed was an A/C condenser at 100k. The AFM was better in that generation. My 2010 before it would burn oil with that system and I kept it disabled.

dtrkyman

WKR
Clean truck, that's a good one. My jeep is a dark metallic blue and looks really good clean and prior to all the new Mexico racing stripes!

Bought it before I moved out here, any vehicle I get going forward will be white or silver, too much sun for dark vehicles here, HOT!

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
My wife drives a 2022 Tahoe Z71, 6.2l. It has captain seats in the 2nd row with a 3rd row. We just took it on a road trip with our two kids and it was very nice. Plenty of room if you choose to lay the third row down. We choose to have one kid in the second row and one in third row. That way, they can't reach each other. It made a world of difference in our peace and the main reason we bought it. The third row can be used by adults if needed. You can also lay part of the third row down if you only have one person sitting there. It does very well in the snow. It gets pushed around a little in the WY wind, but it's not horrible. Gas mileage is less than desirable. Overall, we are very pleased with it.

Brunson84

Lil-Rokslider
Got a cousin with a new Tahoe with the diesel motor, gets 37ish mpg, seen it with my own eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk