2023 Elk advice needed ID or WY, semi guided drop or solo. Please help this aging Vet.

Hello I know it may seem like the questions are all the same on here but, I'm not one to plan and never follow through. I am also not looking for your units or spots. But I am looking for some direction.
I have four elk points for Wyoming. I also am registered as a non-resident disabled vet with Idaho and can try for one of those tags. I have been on one DIY cow elk hunt in WY a couple years ago to get my feet wet and gear better dialed, I also go backpacking. I grew up hunting Elk in Oregon as a kid with my dad. I plan to have 20 days for travel and hunting.
Do you think I should try for the disabled vet ticket in ID and save my points or try to draw in WY? I'm not afraid of grizzly and camp very bear-aware!

I will have a few grand saved up and be willing to pay for a drop camp or semi guided hunt if you have any recommendations. Or insight on if it's worth the money. I have an ATV to help me where legal.
Thank you for taking your time and helping me plan my trip of a lifetime!

Last edited:
PM me if you decide on WY and get a tag that works in a general area. Maybe we could go backpack hunting. Always glad to spend time with a vet.

OP
T
Will do! Thank you for the offer and I'm always down to meet fellow hunter. I would like to say I'm not looking for any handouts though. I make descent money and can still hike and haul meat on my back.
I'm just trying to live live the dream like everyone else.

Will do! Thank you for the offer and I'm always down to meet fellow hunter. I would like to say I'm not looking for any handouts though. I make descent money and can still hike and haul meat on my back.
I'm just trying to live live the dream like everyone else.
It definitely wouldn’t be a handout! But it would be free. The two hunting partners I’ve had still live in AK so I’ve been flying solo. Some things we’d have to agree on are:

1- safety is paramount. Gun handling habits matter. I thought I found a hunting partner in WY. Everything else clicked but I kept getting views down his rifle bore. He’d get really mad when I mentioned it. Thus… flying solo.

2- I like to go pretty far but it’s not a competition. We’re out there for fun. I think it’s important that the faster hiker accommodates the slower hikers pace. Wether that slower hiker is me or you.

3- We don’t take really long/risky shots. Only shots that have high probability of a clean kill. That isn’t to say I’d try to decide what your limitations are and wouldn’t expect you to decide mine. Just so we agree that we don’t blast away out of excitement.

4- If one of us kills an elk we take care of it together (including the pack out) and split the meat. When the meat is taken care of we go for a second elk if there is still time. Shooter packs and keeps the trophy. I think this is important as it is a partnership and we’d be in it together.

5- I’m a meat and experience hunter. I’d shoot a big bull but will not hesitate to take a cow or spike. If you are in it for a big bull that works for me too. I can tell you if a bull looks pretty good or not but I couldn’t score him to save my ass. Whoever spots the elk gets first option to shoot.

6- I don’t drink and would rather not be around drinking. I’m not against it in principle or anything. It’s just not a part of my life and I don’t want it to be.

7- I bring my own one man tent. I prefer having my own space to sleep in. I also prefer to go fairly light. My total gear weight (everything including my clothes and weapon) for late September archery is 55 lbs and October with a rifle it all weighs 59 lbs 12 ounces. Both listed weights are for 7 days backpacking. I don’t want to go with someone that brings along so much stuff it slows him down.

- I’m a former Marine but only spent four years in. That was in the 90’s. I’m in pretty ok shape for grinding out miles but definitely not an athlete.

- This is not a proposition for me to guide you. No money would change hands and I wouldn’t/couldn’t provide any of the extra perks that come with paying a guide. I believe you could hunt in wilderness areas so long as we are together but we’d need to double check that.

-I have a hunting area that I’m pretty fond of but I’d consider going somewhere else if it is general elk for me and it’s where your tag is.

Let me know if you are interested!

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
The ID DAV tag is not something to bank on. Last 2 years, myself and 3 buddies all struck out. 3 years ago if you qualified, you got a tag. They changed it bc some complained about combat disabled vets taking too many tags. The nerve of vets….🤦🏻‍♂️

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Second the statement not to hold out for Idaho DAV tags. Its an awesome opportunity but those tags are usually gone in about a half hour, hour tops. And with the new random number lobby if you are number say, 10,000 which is highly realistic, you dont stand a chance on getting one.

ikeG

FNG
I think you should grab a WY general tag before it takes 5-7 points to draw one. I have a buddy who 'held out' and he will always be in that no-mans land with points. Too many to waste on a general and not enough for a premier unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
T
I think you should grab a WY general tag before it takes 5-7 points to draw one. I have a buddy who 'held out' and he will always be in that no-mans land with points. Too many to waste on a general and not enough for a premier unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
You guys have convinced me, I'm definitely going to do the WY general tag. Thanks guys.