2023 Help

badams14

FNG
Looking to plan an elk trip for next year already. We have a mixed group of some young DIYers with their dads. I am thinking this will be the last Elk trip for the elders as they are in their 70's and the joints are starting to wear down pretty good. We would like to use an outfitter to help our odds, either fully guided or semi-guided, the real problem I am having is the points situation as we are all on different levels. We all have 1 in Wyoming and 0 in Montana. Our plan was to hunt CO next season, as 3 of us have at least 4 points, but 2 have 0. Arizona is out as well as there are only 2 of us with substantial points. Any suggestions on where to start? We are open to anywhere, just looking for a decent hunt that isn't over crowded with some game running around. Thanks for the help in advance.

sasquatch

WKR
I’d recommend flattop adventures in colorado. Forest runs and very good outfit, won’t have to sell organs either to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wapiti1

WKR
Budget will matter, but CO private land guided in an OTC unit would be where I would start.

1 point in MT is about 35% chance of drawing a non-res combo. However, if you have one point now, you buy one when you apply and that gives you 2 for the draw which gets you >99% (still not a lock, though). They apply the purchased point in the year you buy it, which is different than other states. You can also up your odds if you go elk only. There are more returned elk only tags because of folks not pulling a special permit. But to use the party app, you all have to apply the exact same way, so keep that in mind.

Or as suggested a good pack in guided hunt.

Compass West would be worth talking to about CO and NM. Chris has several options and will shoot you straight on expectations. In MT, I'd talk with Big Racks of Montana, good outfit on private in the Big Belts or Continental Divide Outfitters.

Jeremy

crouth87

FNG
will be hard for everyone to get a tag in a random state like NM or Idaho I would try for Wyoming party app random and do a Colorado hunt thats easier to draw and go deep.