2023 NR OTC Elk Rifle Tags?

OP
toughluck

toughluck

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know I have a lot of research to do on a state and GMU. My expectations are not that high, just hopeful for a chance and some luck. Maybe we can get out there a few days early and gain some permission on private land.

hobbes

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know I have a lot of research to do on a state and GMU. My expectations are not that high, just hopeful for a chance and some luck. Maybe we can get out there a few days early and gain some permission on private land.
Nothing wrong with trying but don't expect it.

gabenzeke

WKR
You could try entering a draw in states that offer random draw tags. I would do Colorado as the last resort. I've never rifle hunted Colorado, but I have archery hunted there a handful of times. I found ways to get away from people during archery seasons. I think rifle season pressure is probably higher in a lot of places.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

831hunter

FNG
I’ve been hunting elk for two years and killed elk both years in a western state. In my limited experience crowds are definitely a thing but I hiked my ass off and if I didn’t see sign I moved. Learned new spots both year that produced based on my own success and seeing other carcasses and hunter success. It’s a journey man just wing it. Hunt hard dark to dark everyday till you get it done. Good luck.

I don't think you are going to just pick up a deer tag where you can get an otc elk tag. Nearly all mule deer tags are by draw. If CO is your only option for otc elk, they don't have any otc mule deer tags. If you can't get him to commit to hunting, I don't think he's going to commit to diving off into rough terrain.

Someone is killing elk in OTC units and a bunch of them will be first time folks that luck into an elk. The odds may not be good but someone is doing it. Why the heck couldn't it be you. Odds are that it won't be you, but your chance is damn near as good as anyone.
6%....

hobbes

WKR
What does 6% represent? Is that the percent success in OTC rifle?

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
Generally. Success rates are low in CO for OTC tags.
You may be correct, but I don't recall success rates being that low for rifle but I suppose it may have fallen off since I moved 11 years ago. I think rifle is a higher percentage than that and that's more in line with archery success rates. I'm not finding where Colorado breaks out success rates by OTC but I suppose I could back the numbers out easily enough.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I pack hunters in to some of the roughest terrain you can elk hunt in the lower 48, and darn sure some of the toughest in Colorado. Our closest camp is 15 miles in to a wilderness area. There are still people in that far that back packed in. I don’t believe it’s a matter of finding places people aren’t, it’s a matter of utilizing your knowledge of terrain and animal behavior to maximize success given the conditions presented.

Go elk hunt, go where your heart pulls you to go. There’s elk in the mountains if you want to work for it. Maybe lots, maybe nots, but there’s always some, you just gotta find them. Just go, and keep going to the same area year after year and you’ll have success.

Every single person on this sub group wants to kill elk. And nobody is gonna tell you where the best place to do it is. Throw a dart, make your plans, and the. Make your memories. And unless you do LE hunts, throw away that decent bull idea. You find something legal, take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
It is higher, even higher than I though. It probably averages around 16-17% for over the counter units, at least in 2021. That includes private land of course, so I think public land would even be lower. I am curious what percentage of those are bulls.
You may be correct, but I don't recall success rates being that low for rifle but I suppose it may have fallen off since I moved 11 years ago. I think rifle is a higher percentage than that and that's more in line with archery success rates. I'm not finding where Colorado breaks out success rates by OTC but I suppose I could back the numbers out easily enough.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ll give you a pin, there are elk and it’s about as remote as co offers, figure on a full 16hr hike in with 50lb pack, but have someone on the local search and rescue ready to come find ya asses if you ain’t at the truck in 5 days. And idk how you train for the first 3 miles? Maybe have a bunch of bowling balls on a trampoline with your boots strapped upEB734356-F7FC-4607-8B1B-61D22496767A.jpeg

h2so4

WKR
I’ll give you a pin, there are elk and it’s about as remote as co offers, figure on a full 16hr hike in with 50lb pack, but have someone on the local search and rescue ready to come find ya asses if you ain’t at the truck in 5 days. And idk how you train for the first 3 miles? Maybe have a bunch of bowling balls on a trampoline with your boots strapped upView attachment 487065
Gosh- that sounds like a fun summer time adventure. I think I want the pin just to say I made it there and back.

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I pack hunters in to some of the roughest terrain you can elk hunt in the lower 48, and darn sure some of the toughest in Colorado. Our closest camp is 15 miles in to a wilderness area. There are still people in that far that back packed in. I don’t believe it’s a matter of finding places people aren’t, it’s a matter of utilizing your knowledge of terrain and animal behavior to maximize success given the conditions presented.

Go elk hunt, go where your heart pulls you to go. There’s elk in the mountains if you want to work for it. Maybe lots, maybe nots, but there’s always some, you just gotta find them. Just go, and keep going to the same area year after year and you’ll have success.

Every single person on this sub group wants to kill elk. And nobody is gonna tell you where the best place to do it is. Throw a dart, make your plans, and the. Make your memories. And unless you do LE hunts, throw away that decent bull idea. You find something legal, take it.

Great advice and exactly what I’m doing. Research everything you can and go for it.

One thing my Pap taught me, “it’s about the hunt, not the kill.”

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck, find a unit that matches the style of hunting you want (glassing, stalking, etc) but don't waste weeks picking your unit. Spend time talking to the biologist and pm anyone who's ever hunted there on the forum. Get in shape, escout, and get there 2 days early. Shoot first legal bull you can.

squirrel

WKR

I know we should call this "defining decency downward". seems like Ive heard or read it before somewhere...

Just remember that like any number of other pursuits that gov't statistic of "hunter success" is skewed by their own ineptitude of gathering info plus hunters that hunt OTC and have 20-30 years of 90+% success. If the state published the real success rate of OTC NR public land unguided bull hunters... whitetails on the back 40 start looking pretty good.