2024 Cold Bore Challenge Plans

I did not play last year, but i plan to shoot this year.

I have a training rifle in a caliber I modified off the old .222rem-mag. The gun is nearly identical to my custom 6.5PRC and the DOPE is very close to that of the 6.5CM. I shoot weekly (for work and play) and have been bear hunting all spring, so I'm planning to push myself.
I will re-create my Montana mule deer shot from last season at 601yds.

Macintosh

WKR
Went to check out a bunch of spots that I thought could work for a cbc. Drove south to the national forest, which is the only public land where shooting isnt explicitly illegal here. I stopped at three different places first, and couldnt get more than 200 yards, maybe a touch more, out of any of them, it was just too thick and we havent leafed out even a little yet so this is as good as its going to get. Last spot was the one I thought most likely. The road in is still gated, but its snow free as of a couple days ago. With all my gear in a pack I mountain biked 3 miles uphill to get there, stashed the bike, and hoofed it through the woods about a mile to a beaver meadow that is just right. There’s one spot where I can get a little over 500 yards out of it, but it has you shooting at the bank of stream that looks to me like it could get people fishing it once in a while, so I’m not crazy about that. In the other direction I can get 430 yards out of it though and have good visibility if some random person comes stumbling through the woods anywhere nearby. So I guess I’ll use a position that makes 430 yards a realistic challenge.
Set up this rock on the way by as a test target. 1st shot knocked it right over.
IMG_4175.jpeg
IMG_4184.jpeg
Since I guess we have to post video testing this here.

Last edited: