2024 Dall!!!

kjw

WKR
Congrats!! Sounds like your doing it right and booking well in advance. Enjoy every step of the journey starting now

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to you. The real fun is in the journey.

Please update as the timeline unfolds. Like others have said, I am also a one and done sheep hunter as I went last year at age 64.

I now live vicariously reading about other peoples hunts.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your future hunt. I too live out of state, Wa, and went back in the day....2007. I was 44, and the best shape of my life. Like others said, the fun is in the journey. Have a great adventure. Take lots of pictures, keep a simple journal, and take it all in. Best of luck and look forward to your report. Bryan

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
After a long time dreaming about doing a sheep hunt for my 40th birthday, I just mailed off my deposit for a 2024 Dall hunt in Alaska!! I think my facial expression says it all! Now the long wait and journey of preparing begins!
With ya, just sent in my deposit check for 2024 NWT! Maybe we can compare notes sometime.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
are most guides 2+ years out on booking hunts? A Dall / caribou hunt has been top of my list for 40th bday as well but didn’t realize I had to start looking now!!

schmalzy

WKR
are most guides 2+ years out on booking hunts? A Dall / caribou hunt has been top of my list for 40th bday as well but didn’t realize I had to start looking now!!

A lot of them yes. I started looking in September of 21 and was able to find a 2022 hunt with 2 different outfits, both well regarded and recommended. I’d keep trying and talking; guys get hurt or have life pop up and can’t make it and a spot opens up.

Another benefit of looking now and putting deposit down is potentially hedging the rising cost. Waiting the 4-5 years probably cost me 4-5 grand at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
If you want primo dates that season, yes.

OMB

WKR
Covid has absolutely messed up timelines, especially for Canada. I booked in May 2018 and got the last slot in 2020 with my outfitter, with Covid and other stuff already planned in 2021, I ended up bumping to 2022. Get on it sooner than later, prices were climbing around 7-8% per year but with all the Boomers cashing out and doing their dream hunt and general inflation, prices are going to continue getting crazier. The hunt I booked in 2018 is now probably 35% more expensive today minimum from the price lists I've seen.

I genuinely feel bad for all the guys that are bottlenecked on Stones for their slam, that went from $40k to $75k+ real quick. Dall hunts in Canada with travel/tips/GST are basically around the same as a basic Desert hunt in Mexico at this point. It seems crazy but we've also increased the money supply but a huge amount, and a lot of the economy has followed (real estate+stocks) so it shouldn't be a surprise for those paying attention.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Covid has absolutely messed up timelines, especially for Canada. I booked in May 2018 and got the last slot in 2020 with my outfitter, with Covid and other stuff already planned in 2021, I ended up bumping to 2022. Get on it sooner than later, prices were climbing around 7-8% per year but with all the Boomers cashing out and doing their dream hunt and general inflation, prices are going to continue getting crazier. The hunt I booked in 2018 is now probably 35% more expensive today minimum from the price lists I've seen.

I genuinely feel bad for all the guys that are bottlenecked on Stones for their slam, that went from $40k to $75k+ real quick. Dall hunts in Canada with travel/tips/GST are basically around the same as a basic Desert hunt in Mexico at this point. It seems crazy but we've also increased the money supply but a huge amount, and a lot of the economy has followed (real estate+stocks) so it shouldn't be a surprise for those paying attention.
I wanted to do a Dall hunt here in Canada for my 40th in 2yrs but I can't believe the prices that skyrocketed these past 2yrs. Looks like a standard hunt in NWT will run 40-45K USA(add 30% to exchange from monopoly money)after all said and done...really bummed about it

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to do a Dall hunt here in Canada for my 40th in 2yrs but I can't believe the prices that skyrocketed these past 2yrs. Looks like a standard hunt in NWT will run 40-45K USA(add 30% to exchange from monopoly money)after all said and done...really bummed about it
I went through the same emotions to the point of looking at mountain goat hunts and giving up on sheep for a timeframe. Look at AK sheep hunts. You can find a handful of traditional backpack hunts for 20k or so still. I could give you the info of mine or one other that was under 20 if you want.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I went through the same emotions to the point of looking at mountain goat hunts and giving up on sheep for a timeframe. Look at AK sheep hunts. You can find a handful of traditional backpack hunts for 20k or so still. I could give you the info of mine or one other that was under 20 if you want.
I was looking into Canada because I am Canadian and the transport of meat/hide/horns/gun would be much easier. But if you would pass along a few places for a backpack hunt I wouldn't mind looking. Even a backpack hunt in NWT is topping 32K atm with nothing else included, cheapest I found for Canada atm. Also I started the goat search now too and it is way cheaper for some odd reason

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into Canada because I am Canadian and the transport of meat/hide/horns/gun would be much easier. But if you would pass along a few places for a backpack hunt I wouldn't mind looking. Even a backpack hunt in NWT is topping 32K atm with nothing else included, cheapest I found for Canada atm. Also I started the goat search now too and it is way cheaper for some odd reason
I’m gonna shoot you a PM

gearguywb

WKR
Wife and I were at the show and had a great time. Spoke with a few outfitters regarding some combo of sheep/mtn goat/grizzly.

Still weighing our options in both Canada and Alaska

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I were at the show and had a great time. Spoke with a few outfitters regarding some combo of sheep/mtn goat/grizzly.

Still weighing our options in both Canada and Alaska
Well that’s exciting!!!