2024 Tacoma- anyone bought one, drove one—thoughts?

While this is completely a first world problem, Toyota is way behind on electronics for the Tacoma. Not sure if the new ones are better, but my 21 doesn’t have keyless entry or the blue tooth bandwidth to support CarPlay. In todays market I expect both of those things in a new vehicle.
My 2020 SR5 has both of those feature and a remote start. Its probably the model you have.

Loo.wii

WKR
Curious if anyone has bought one or even driven one—thoughts? My 2012 is getting a little long in the tooth, probably a year or (maybe two) out before getting a new one, but curious what folks think of the new platform.

Thanks
How many miles do you have on yours?

MattB

WKR
Yes, the 2025 4R are going to be a 4 cylinder turbo. Believe they are stealing the motor from Lexus.

That T24A-FTS motor first hit the market in a Lexus in 2021 and it has been used in some Lexus and Toyota vehicles for the past few years.

Not a lot (for a 12)-just turned 100k
I think yours falls into the frame rust recall and leaf spring recall.
My 2006 Tacoma had holes in the frame just under the 10mm spec that Toyota spec'd for replacement.
I'm so glad I got out of it before it got worse.
FYI

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think yours falls into the frame rust recall and leaf spring recall.
My 2006 Tacoma had holes in the frame just under the 10mm spec that Toyota spec'd for replacement.
I'm so glad I got out of it before it got worse.
FYI

It does- they added a leaf to the rear springs and said they'd keep an eye on the frame, so far it's fine. Montana is a no salt state in the winter, so guessing that helps.

sndmn11

WKR
Went last week with a buddy who was hoping to replace his ram with a Tacoma. With both of us over 6’ it was very cramped. As the Tacoma’s has always been. He was hoping the new geometry improved that but it did not. New tundra for him.
I tried to sit in the driver's seat of one and aint no way!

Bluefish

WKR
My 2020 SR5 has both of those feature and a remote start. Its probably the model you have.
It’s a sr5 sport. It has car play, but only if wired. They were cheap with the chipset. Might be no keyless ignition due to being a manual. One other gripe, the floor mats would get stuck in the clutch pedal. Checked with service and only one version was available, ordered one from weather tech as they know the difference between automatic and manual. 100% better.

i can;t beleive the prices on the new tacomas. I would just go bare bones sr/sr5 tundra without all the extra gadgets that could break. could probably get better financing too on the tundra. I'm 6 foot though, was never really comfortable in the 2nd and 3rd gen tacomas i had and got rid of them pretty quick.

Last edited:

Jmanley13

FNG
Curious if anyone has bought one or even driven one—thoughts? My 2012 is getting a little long in the tooth, probably a year or (maybe two) out before getting a new one, but curious what folks think of the new platform.

Thanks
Definitely go try and sit in one if you’re tall I found it too small for my taste

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
A 2012 with a little over 100K is long in tooth? Change the fluids regularly. Oil at 5K, rear diff, front diff, transfer case, once a year. Put at least another 150K on it. My 2011 is double that mileage. Needs tie rods and wheel bearings, that's $450 in parts and a Saturday morning. Beats $50K+.

Also, check out TacomaWorld.com for feedback on 4th gens.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I do all that, also change the MT fluid and plugs, but @ 30k (oil at 5k probably overkill too as it's syn)—I think I'll skip plugs next time they always look good.

I've got a new serpentine belt, but haven't gotten around to changing it- looks like more of pita than other trucks.

Sure. Recommended interval is 30K. I drive about 18K a year. So, yeah I do it once a year. Takes an hour, $75 for 5 qts of Mobil 1 75W90 oil.
The LSD on the Sport model does not play nice with M1 or other synthetics.
Castrol dino oil and one bottle of Toyota friction modifier for the win.