.204 Arrow Durability

BigDog00

WKR
I'm currently running 260 Axis arrows and looking to try something a bit lighter. The Eastons have been great arrows but I'm curious how some of the others hold up. These are some options I'm considering. The Gold Tips seems to be new and hard to come by, also expensive. Am I missing any that are around 10.5 gr/in or less?

- BE Rampage
- Victory RIP TKO
- GT Airstrike (probably too $$$ for my blood)
- GT Black Label Quantum

The gold tip kinetic kaos is what I’m running with HIT inserts because they are lighter then the axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
The gold tip kinetic kaos is what I’m running with HIT inserts because they are lighter then the axis

I would have to go with the 200's and they are actually slightly heavier than the 260 Axis (11.6 vs 11.5)

KyleR1985

WKR
I put 6 rip tko’s through deer/hogs last two seasons. One shaft sheared with the whole thing in the animal, and through shoulder bone. He sheared The back 6 or 8” of it when he turned to bolt. All the other arrows are still functional.

ive moved to small diameter arrows but had no issues with these.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m in the same boat, been using the axis 260s for 2 years and haven’t lost an arrow after thousands of shots and +/-10 animals. I wanted a little lighter set up so built up some BE rampage 250s about a month ago. So far so good but will report back after they see some more abuse and a few animals/rocks/trees.

paxamus

WKR
I’ve started shooting the Sirius Apollo’s and am liking them so far. The 250 spine is lighter than the Axis 260 in gpi

I didn't shoot them a bunch, but shot some rampage without issues. A few animals. No durability issues. Just didn't think the skinny shaft was worth it. I prefer .244-246. I decided everything about a standard shaft is easier.

Reactions: Zac

Trial153

WKR
I have built several dozen Rampages in both 350 and 300 spine. They been very durable and consistent. My build is 75 grain brass HITS, IW or VPA collars and X nocks. I also built few dozen with GT bushings and G nocks. I perfer the X nock without the bushing.

I have two dozen Victory RIP TKO built with IW collars and HITS, they been very consistent. About as durable as the Rampages.
Both shafts have very few that need any nock tuning. I don't see a whole lot of different in these two shafts. At least in the .001 versions.

I’m probably building Airstrikes this year, or BE Rampage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just didn't think the skinny shaft was worth it. I prefer .244-246. I decided everything about a standard shaft is easier.

Breaking those standard shafts is easier too. That's why I went to .204" ID arrows in the first place, more durable. And that's the problem with going to a lighter .204" arrow..........loss of durability. If it's a lighter arrow, then it has a thinner wall. I'd stay with the Axis. The Rampage 250's are less durable.......even the Kinetic 200's are less durable.

Sled

WKR
I used footers for all my .204 arrows and became happier with the results. Without them they were too weak at the insert.

I sized up again to the hexx and no longer use footers.

When we talk arrow durability, what do we exactly mean? In your experience, what are y’all hitting that causes an arrow to break? I’ve only broken them by Robin Hoods, glance-offs, or bow blow-up. I can’t recall breaking a standard Gold Tip in an animal.

You guys must have really long DL to be shooting 260s lol.

I'm using a 250 on a 28.5 draw. Makes things easier.
Breaking those standard shafts is easier too. That's why I went to .204" ID arrows in the first place, more durable. And that's the problem with going to a lighter .204" arrow..........loss of durability. If it's a lighter arrow, then it has a thinner wall. I'd stay with the Axis. The Rampage 250's are less durable.......even the Kinetic 200's are less durable.

Not disputing, but I haven't broken them in a target, other than with another arrow. Basically if I break an arrow it's my fault. And I don't want to spend 1/2 dozen arrows worth of dollars on components to try to save a few.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When we talk arrow durability, what do we exactly mean? In your experience, what are y’all hitting that causes an arrow to break?

I shoot squirrels, rabbits, grouse, and basically whatever else I want to shoot. I like arrows that will hit rocks and gravel etc and not have any damage to them. I've hit the rebar running up 3D target legs and had arrows snap in half just from that. I prefer a tougher arrow.

The funny thing is.........I've rarely had issues with the tips on .204" arrows with HIT's even without any other protection. When they do break, they generally snap somewhere behind the HIT and sometimes right in the middle. Some of the regular arrows I've had snap into three pieces when hitting something hard.

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
When we talk arrow durability, what do we exactly mean? In your experience, what are y’all hitting that causes an arrow to break? I’ve only broken them by Robin Hoods, glance-offs, or bow blow-up. I can’t recall breaking a standard Gold Tip in an animal.

I'm more concerned that the lighter gpi arrows don't have as much material thus will be less durable. It doesn't seem to be an issue based off of the replies. Arrows are expensive and I hate spending money on sub par products. I've never had an axis break except for one the I shot a deer with. I'm probably over thinking it, just wanted to see what the slide thinks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm more concerned that the lighter gpi arrows don't have as much material thus will be less durable.

That's a valid concern. But I wouldn't rely only on the weight for that determination. My Kinetic XT 200's weigh 11.6gpi yet they are easily the least durable .204" arrow I've used, with BE Rampage 250's a close second. The Trophy Ridge arrows are the toughest arrows I've ever shot, but they stopped making those several years ago. I still have most of my original dozen from 2008.