204 for javelina

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a rifle javelina hunt coming up in February and I was just sitting here contemplating what rifle I should use. I have 243 that shoots great with the hand loads I use for it. I load it with 58 gr vmaxs. I also have a 7mm08 that I shoot 140gr accubonds factory loaded. Then I was thinking I should take the 204 I use for coyotes shooting the 40gr vmax. The 204 is a great shooter, I can watch my hits/misses and bang flops coyotes. I doubt I’ll be shooting at great distance. I tend to prefer less gun but don’t want too little of gun. What do you guys think of the 204 for javelina?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm sure the .204 would be fine.
My son stoned one with a .243 back in Feb.
Not even a twitch.

OP
C

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used the vmax bullet for anything other then coyotes and fox. Do you think there’d be any issue using the more explosive bullets on a javelina? I don’t really know if they have super thick skin that would somehow hinder the bullet

MJB

WKR
I love my 204!

Killed a few 100# wild pigs in the ear hole.

Bring an old cooler for that stink pig have fun! Not bow hunting?

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
They're not terribly hard to kill. Haven't used the 204, but I have killed a handful with a 223. I used the Hornady 60gr HP on a couple, and the 52gr Sierra HP on one. They were all fairly close ranges, but seemed to work fine.

OP
C

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. It’s probably my favorite gun too so that helps. Man I love that 204. Should be a fun hunt