204 ruger questions

I’ve been thinking about getting a 204 ruger as a truck gun for varmint/predator control around the ranch(coyote, badger, beaver etc) and had a couple questions. #1 how does it compare performance wise to other calibers specifically 223 and #2 does anyone have suggestions for a relatively inexpensive rifle chambered in 204 that would stand up to the abuse of bouncing around the truck it’s whole life?

Sykes

WKR
The 204 will run with the 22-250. Some guys feel it's a better round than the 22-250. I have both and I feel they have similar performance on coyotes out to 400 yards, haven't shot many past that, also I shoot light bullets to avoid fur damage on coyotes. I'm shooting the 35 gr berger in a savage 10 predator and was really impressed with the instant kills on coyotes at 300 and 400 yards.
For a truck gun you might look at a Ruger American or a Savage.

B23

WKR
First, I'd make sure you can get 204 Ruger ammo or even brass because both are nonexistent. There is a little of the Hornady 40gr Vmax ammo around but most factory guns come with a 12 twist barrel and they don't always shoot the 40's very well. I had a CZ 527 Varmint model 204 and it shot the 32Vmax stuff really well and the 40gr stuff for shit.

As for how it compares to the 223, wellll, that's a topic I've seen start a ruckus comparable to a "Church league softball fistfight". My take on it is if you want to shoot light weight bullets the 204 wins but I think the 223 is a more versatile cartridge and a hell of a lot easier to get ammo for not to mention the 223 has a MUCH wider range of bullet choice of loaded ammo available.

Sykes

WKR
Good call on the ammo and brass for the 204, it is scare currently.

WRM

WKR
If you can track one down, I got a Howa mini action NIB on Gunbroker for around $300.00. I feel it has a pretty decent trigger. Otherwise, what he said.

Ditto on ammo and bullet limitations.

B23

WKR
If you reload that helps the bullet selection issue a tiny bit but there just isn't a lot of different 20 cal bullets available and some of the ones that are can be very marginal at best in the 12 twist barrels they put on almost all factory chambered 204 Rugers. TC is the only company I'm aware of that uses a faster twist on there 204 Ruger chambered guns and they seem to be kinda hit or miss on how well they shoot.

OP
M
Thanks for the replies everyone. Lots of great knowledge on this forum I’ve been lurking a little for a couple months glad I finally made an account. I’ll definitely make sure to track down ammo before I find a gun (wish I didn’t have to say that in 2021). Luckily I have other guns that fill the role so I don’t need to rush out tomorrow I’ve just been curious about the 204 and always love an excuse to buy another gun.

I like the 204 Ruger for what you want it for. Unless there's something out there that I am not aware of, there's not a handy/truck gun size/style rifle being made in 204. When I think of a truck gun, I think of something inexpensive like a Ruger Ranch rifle.