204 Ruger

I have yet to throw a pelt away from a .22-250 killed coyote and I've killed a pile with one.

I have however lost pelts on .204 shot dogs. No doubt they died hours after being hit.

Show up at my truck with a .204 for a day of calling and you'll either be staying home or using one of my rifles. I won't allow it in the truck.

"Coyote bullets" START at 50 grains.

The 45 grain SP from hornady with good velocity is plenty for a coyote. That's like saying you must use 180 grain on an elk, a well put together 165 grain bullet placed right will accomplish the same thing.

The 45 grain SP from hornady with good velocity is plenty for a coyote. That's like saying you must use 180 grain on an elk, a well put together 165 grain bullet placed right will accomplish the same thing.

Youre absolutely right. But what does the external ballistics of the .204 look like when throwing a 45 or 50 grain bullet? Thats right, it sucks. Worse than a .223.

It wasnt meant to shoot those big bullets, it was meant to vaporize prairie dogs with teeny tiny 30'ish grain bullets going really really fast (which it does well). This doesnt work to hot on coyotes.

If you want to throw "coyote bullets" in the 50 ish grain class, the .204 aint gonna cut it compared to a .22 cal that can throw these bullets with authority. And the .204 throwing tiny bullets just doesnt hack it as a serious coyote gun, part of the problem being none of the 30'ish grain .20 cal bullets are well put together for coyotes.

I agree that a .22-250 is a much better caliber for coyotes than a .204. Like I said in my earlier post if I had it to do over I would have bought a .22-250 0r.223 but for the guys that already own a .204 and can't afford a new rig right now the 45 grain bullet is a good option.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine dumped a coyote at 410 yards with his 204. It was tipped with a 35 grain berger and that coyote dropped like a stack of bricks. This coyote was no spring pup, it weighed in at 40 pounds. After witnessing this event, I went and ordered myself a 204 and haven't looked back. Everything has its perks and drawbacks, but the perks of the .204 outweigh its drawbacks for what I like in a predator gun.

roknHS

FNG
I love my .204
No recoil, shoots like a laser out to 400yds, lots of bullet choices, cheap to reload, lots of factory ammo on the shelf, extremely effective dedicated varmint round. I think the Berger 35grain is the most fur friendly. I think the V-Max bullets are thin skinned and can cause some hide damage.
I don't believe the .204 is a flash in the pan cartridge. There are lots of rifles chambered for .204 and plenty have been sold. I think it is the perfect dedicated varmint round. I would not trade mine for a .223. I like the .223 but, I like my .204 better for the intended purpose.

I have the Thompson Contender Venture Predator decked out in camo........I really like that rifle.........