204 Ruger

Curtis C

WKR
What is you folks thought on using the 204 ruger on coyotes in their winter dress? Plenty? to light?. Seems to me like a round that will get inside and get the work done without much damage to the hide. Looking for thoughts before I commit.

Curtis

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of guys really like them. I think as long as you're not shooting them at extreme range, it should do the trick. I've heard that they get dirty fast though because of the small bore.

Shrek

WKR
Do you own it already ? If so it will do the job well but if not I would buy a 223 rem. for coyote and practice. A lot more bullet choices , brass , load data , cheaper components and more widely available.

OP
Curtis C

Curtis C

WKR
No I have not bought it. I do like the 223 but not much of that available right now. I dont want to shoot through my limited AR stock:eek:

Shrek

WKR
The current panic is already fading and there will be lots of new 223 on the shelves soon but there will be less and less 204 ruger being made as its novelty declines. In fact , the current 223 shortage will make a future 204 shortage as manufacturers concentrate on making top sellers to put on empty shelves.
If you don't handload there is no way I would buy a 204 ruger as commercial loaded ammo will become more and more scarce and expensive as it's popularity declines.

Shrek

WKR
Curtis C , I love oddball rounds and I don't follow my own advice much of the time. I love the 7mm wsm but it is expensive brass that can be hard to find but once I have the brass the rest of the components are mainstream. The ruger on the other hand has limited brass and bullets making it doubly hard and I don't know what common brass you would use to fireform from. I just see a future safe queen in a 204 ruger.

tstowater

WKR
I know people that swear by their 204's and at their 223's. The claim is that the 204's are flatter shooting for their effective distance. I have a couple 204's that I use on prairie dogs and really like them. No personal experience on coyotes. I'm going to use a 22-250 or 25-06 for a little better distance and killing power. I'm not really worried about pelts. I'm like Daveinjax, I wouldn't consider this a viable option without reloading due to cost/shot. With my progressive press, I can load 300 to 400 in no time. They load nice and there is a nice variety of bullets normally available. Overall, nice shooting load and the guys I know like them a lot for coyotes. Most are using the AR platforms for yotes.

tstowater

WKR
Curtis C , I love oddball rounds and I don't follow my own advice much of the time. I love the 7mm wsm but it is expensive brass that can be hard to find but once I have the brass the rest of the components are mainstream. The ruger on the other hand has limited brass and bullets making it doubly hard and I don't know what common brass you would use to fireform from. I just see a future safe queen in a 204 ruger.

When I have the same reservations, I stockpile brass when a reasonable buying opportunity arises. Valid concern down the road if popularity fades. I've always bought Winchester brass in the past.

Shrek

WKR
When I have the same reservations, I stockpile brass when a reasonable buying opportunity arises. Valid concern down the road if popularity fades. I've always bought Winchester brass in the past.

I'm holding out for a run of lapua 7mm wsm brass. Don't really think it will happen but I keep hoping. My next batch will most likely be norma 300 wsm fireformed to 7mm wsm.

owyheerat

FNG
I agree with Justin. I own one (had 3 at one time), also have a 223 (ar platform), and 22-250. All very effective on coyotes. IMO, and experience, I like Sierra 39 gr blitzking bullets. Usually no pelt damage and more importantly, no runners.

Good luck

Durwin

tstowater

WKR
I was talking to one of my "204" friends the other day. I asked him about pelt damage and he said he mangled the back side a fox pretty bad recently and tears up a coyote once in a while. He uses 32 gr. V-Max bullets and he said his buddy uses 35 gr. Berger HP"s (I think?) and gets along a little better. I'm sure both are handloading and using AR platforms. Personally, I like the V-Max's and Nosler BT's for prairie dogs, but might not be the best choice for controlling pelt damage.

Rizzy

WKR
The best round for fur would be the .17 centerfire. Bullets are very limited, however with the recent fur boom these small calibes and wildcats will probably come back into fashion.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot a few coyotes with mt 204, all under 100 yards with hornady factory vmax 40 grain. Both had no exit hole. My go to round is 22-250 handloads with 55 grain sierra gameking BTHP I load these down to around 3200fps. Almost never an exit hole but it expends its energy inside and drops them in there tracks. I noticed with faster loads i get exit holes and they tend to run a little before dying.

I shoot a .204 it is accurate as hell but bullets are a little light for my taste. If I could do it over I would have bought a .223 because of the wide range of bullets available. It is plenty of knockdown power for yotes though. I agree with others that .223 stuff is going to return to semi normal sooner than later and product availability won't be a problem. I also shoot Coyotes with my ar and that gets the job done.

KMD

Banned
I have a .20TAC and load 35 and 40gr Bergers for predators and 39Blitzkings for p-dogs. Not that the 39s won't kill a coyote, I just like a little more stout pill for them. Any of the three are super accurate and make for great point blank 300yd coyote rifle. But, my .17Predator (.17/223 Improved) with 30gr Golds actually lays coyotes out better than the .20Tac does. Go figure? If you reload and want a better wind bucker & better penetrating pill, the 40Berger is your baby. Just make sure you have a 1:10 twist tube to spin 'em. Still plenty of factory 1:12" twist .204s that might not stabilize the 40s...

Daveinjax, if we do get lucky with a run of Lapua 300WSM brass, you might want to skip the 7WSM chamber and go for a straight, necked down 7/300WSM. You'll have a more neck to hold VLD type bullets, and still plenty of powder capacity. Plenty of long range shooters doing this already with Norma brass and the 7/300, instead the more capacious 7WSM. When I built mine, Norma didn't make 300WSM brass yet, so I've eeked by with Winny stuff and found that a little TLC time with it to be well worth the effort. Clean up the necks with a spin on the K&M turner, run 'em thru the Prep Station once to true up the primer pockets and flash holes, then weigh sort and load. Sounds like alot of work, but it really isn't. FL resize every firing with a Ti bushing giving .002" neck tension set the die to bump the shoulder .002" max. to keep work hardening to a minimum. Anneal every 3rd reload and you're G2G. LOVE my 7WSM!!!

I think the .204 is a great yotie cal. Next to no recoil, doesn't destroy the hide and I feel that it is effective out to 300yrds. 2 of the 20 coyotes I've shot with my .204 were between 290 and 325yrds, one dropped in his tracks the other spun a few times and died. All 20 hides were salvaged, there were a few exit wounds but no gaping holes. Shooting Hornady V-Max 40 grain.

I agree with Justin. I own one (had 3 at one time), also have a 223 (ar platform), and 22-250. All very effective on coyotes. IMO, and experience, I like Sierra 39 gr blitzking bullets. Usually no pelt damage and more importantly, no runners.

Good luck

Durwin

Exactly my experience also. The trajectory of 22-250 the energy of 223 equals the ultimate coyote callers cartridge IMO. Hand loaders seem to really like the 35gr bergers too. I say go for it, the 204 is going nowhere.

I don't think the 204 is very fur friendly unless you reload. The hornady v max bullets get a lot of splash on the hide. From what I see on most shelfs this is the most popular store bought available bullet.
My personal go to round would be 243 Ackley, 22-250 243 or 25-06.