20A, Frank Church Wilderness

kroppr77

FNG
So I drew the controlled tag for mule deer in Idaho, for unit 20a. It was my second choice, and I know that its unlimited in tag numbers. I was hoping to hot this hut in early November, along with a Colorado archery elk tag in September, to be my two hunts for the year. I'm researching a lot about the Church, and have wanted to go there for a while for the adventure.
In researching the unit I've been somewhat confused mainly on the presence of grizzly bears? I know that it's part of their historical "Bitterroot range," what I can't find is if there is a sustainable population of bears there? I find a few articles that bears pass through once a while, but I'm confused on if there a population there. I am hunting solo most likely so I probably won't pick the tag up if there is a large amount of bears there.
Also if you have anything you want to share like stories, or does and donts on the unit I'd love to hear it.
Thanks in advance

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
I'm not taking that lightly for sure. But my biggest concern for the moment is g-bears.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Been in it a lot. No griz. Might be about as many deer in November these days.

I've been into that country grizz aren't the issue, everything else is......

Are you flying in? I think it’s a very low density area if at all for grizz. We have way more up in N Idaho and you would never want that to stop you from hunting it. Take the necessary precautions, larger cal pistol and spray if you like but navigating that place will take president over anything else. Like others have said, you’re way more likely to see wolves so get dem tags.

Edit: sorry Broomd, meant for OP

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you flying in? I think it’s a very low density area if at all for grizz. We have way more up in N Idaho and you would never want that to stop you from hunting it. Take the necessary precautions, larger cal pistol and spray if you like but navigating that place will take president over anything else. Like others have said, you’re way more likely to see wolves so get dem tags.
You're quoting the wrong person lol the OP is kroppr77

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Troutnut

FNG
Even if there were grizzly bears, which it sounds like there aren't, that's not really a reason not to hunt solo. You just have to take extra precautions. Guys hunt solo in Alaska all the time and only rarely get eaten by bears.

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
I was asking mainly about the bears...I have realistic expectations for this hunt. Mainly going for the adventure while having a tag in my pocket. First legal animal is on the table, if I find one. I know the lack of game and large amounts of wolves, but I won't experience anything sitting at home I guess.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I was asking mainly about the bears...I have realistic expectations for this hunt. Mainly going for the adventure while having a tag in my pocket. First legal animal is on the table, if I find one. I know the lack of game and large amounts of wolves, but I won't experience anything sitting at home I guess.

I think that is a really good mindset. My first hunt in Idaho was in "potential" Grizz country. I went solo and knew the odds of seeing one, let alone having any kind of close encounter, were extremely low. But as an easterner it still got in my head. Don't feel silly for asking, its a concern but really not based on statistic probability.

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
I’ll be flying in to an airstrip now, and am no longer going solo. My hunting partner will be able to go with me now. Looking to fly into Cold Meadow per recommendation of the pilot, but open to any suggestions.
This definitely was the safest option, and looks to give us the best odds as well. Nothing looked promising for driving near Warren and elk creek once I really dove into it.

Coho

FNG
I have hunted it solo. Terrain and low deer density would be issues. Steep! Be neat to see a grizz, there aren't many...

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Cold meadows would not be my choice for November. My brother and I went in there in October, and we never saw a deer. I would imagine you want to be lower for the November hunt. We had a foot of snow. Lots of wolves there too. We had an opportunity at two wolves, but we’re too slow.

Last year during the November mule deer hunt in the Frank two guys visited our airstrip for a few minutes and flew into Cold Meadows. They were right back the next evening saying the snow was so deep they couldn’t get anywhere without snowshoes and didn’t see a single game animal. Cold Meadows is exactly as it sounds from what I understand. Stay lower if possible. Quite a few deer to be found if you put in the miles.