20moa base, adjusting for scope line of sight.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

Hoping for an opinion here. Ive got a set up that i use for units where shots are on the long side, historically ive been displeased with my ballistic turret having elevation stop at 670 yards. I want to practice further, but my range has 600 or 850. The holdover is such that i cannot see the target at 850 with my elevation maxed out.

I installed a 20moa base. My scope was originally zero’d at 200 yards using a zero stop, giving me elevation to 670.

As i understood the 20moa base, it would point the scope down ward, or raise the barrel relative to scope (depending on your perspective). If you shot a laser, youd adjust by moving the scope 20moa. But if you shot a laser you wouldnt need the 20moa base.

Where i am struggling is establishing an understanding of what my new “zero” is based off 20moa base being added. I did talk to someone i considered to be an expert and they advice my new zero would be 400-425 yards as is, i just dont understand how they got to that.

I know I can just go shoot, but im now worried that i dont have enough elevation to set a reasonable zero once i realized my scope has less elevation than i expected, 55 clicks at 1/4 moa.

Load:
160g
.531 g1
3000fps
Sea level

NSI

WKR
You will now be using spare elevation in your scope that you did not have access to before. Elevation from “above” your current zero. You will be fine. Install correctly (search here), bore sight at 100, go to range and zero at 100. Then confirm your dope all the way out to 850. If you want to hunt with a 200 yard zero, simply dial your scope to your 200 yard dope. This achieves your longer point blank range objective while providing a vastly more precise zero than what is possible at 200 yards.

-J

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
You will now be using spare elevation in your scope that you did not have access to before. Elevation from “above” your current zero. You will be fine. Install correctly (search here), bore sight at 100, go to range and zero at 100. Then confirm your dope all the way out to 850. If you want to hunt with a 200 yard zero, simply dial your scope to your 200 yard dope. This achieves your longer point blank range objective while providing a vastly more precise zero than what is possible at 200 yards.

-J
I dont believe i have enough elevation in the turret to achieve even a 400 yard zero with the 20moa base, thats my predicament

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I know I can just go shoot, but im now worried that i dont have enough elevation to set a reasonable zero once i realized my scope has less elevation than i expected, 55 clicks at 1/4 moa.
It looks like there are about twenty Swarovski z5s, but that should probably be 55 MOA, not 55 clicks.
So you have 27.5 up and 27.5 down with a standard base, a 20moa base will leave you with 7.5 down, which should be enough.

If your scope sitting as it is can dial down 20 moa, your new combination of parts should work.
But just go shoot to make sure.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
The ballistic turret models only have 13.5 moa, thats how i got myself cornered here. I moved from a non BT to a BT and didnt realize it went from 43moa to 13.5

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I had written in my first post "Unless Swarovski decided to make a scope with 14 MOA of total travel, but that would be wild" but then I deleted it because it just felt too crazy to put into words.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I had written in my first post "Unless Swarovski decided to make a scope with 14 MOA of total travel, but that would be wild" but then I deleted it because it just felt too crazy to put into words.
Thats exactly what they did…