21 shed season off to a big start!

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
That's an awesome set! The dog and I got out for the first time today and came up with 2 matching sets. Saw a young buck with antlers yet too.

kylehey

FNG
Found this match set 1/31. Decided to go out and check a few cameras and walked up on the palmated side around noon. The dogs found the bigger 6 point side about 2 hours later. Big side goes 82 2/8 and the other goes right at 70. Bases are 7.5 and 9 inches. G2 on big side is 13 2/8. Gotta love picking up some big bone this early with the pups. View attachment 259838

Those are some amazing sheds!

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good way to kick it off! Some deer are still holding here in SD but most of them dropped during that extreme cold snap we've had the last few weeks. With the last few days of melting weather I'm sure there will be lots of guys out this weekend.
I have always wanted to make it up to SD to do some shed hunting up there on those river bottoms.

stevea

FNG
Found this match set 1/31. Decided to go out and check a few cameras and walked up on the palmated side around noon. The dogs found the bigger 6 point side about 2 hours later. Big side goes 82 2/8 and the other goes right at 70. Bases are 7.5 and 9 inches. G2 on big side is 13 2/8. Gotta love picking up some big bone this early with the pups. View attachment 259838
Those are awesome for sure.

Wook

FNG
I'm in southern Missouri near Springfield and still see racks in mid March. Are you further north?

tylervond

FNG
Cool finds. I will be shedding hunting next weeked at our Texas ranch.... also hunting turkeys

Very nice! How hard was it to train your pups to find the sheds? I tried training my springer but all she cares about is stuff that flies.

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice! How hard was it to train your pups to find the sheds? I tried training my springer but all she cares about is stuff that flies.
All of their chew toys at the house are antlers so they are use to picking them up. Catahoulas have very good noses so if I get them in a bedding area they can smell out the beds and if an antler is there they naturally pick it up. I let them smell every fresh shed I find so they get use to that smell.

That's awesome. I've never found any sheds before this year other than old tiny spikes, but this year while out shooting prairie dogs, I found an awesome matched set of 6x6 elk antlers in a water tank.