215 Berger for 300 WIN MAG, CA ELR

I just picked up a Christensen Arms ELR chambered in 300 WM. I plan on pushing 215 Berger Hybrids using H1000 for the primary reason of elk hunting here in Colorado out to about 800 yards (that's my current comfort level). I just started reloading last year and have pressed out 500 rounds between my 6.5 CM and older 300 WM and I'm fairly confident in my abilities to turn out consistent and quality hand loads.

Questions I have for the forum are:

Which brass do you recommend to use with this bullet / rifle combo?
What would be a good starting charge weight?
Any recommendations on seating depth / jump distance?

Appreciate any insight or secret sauce recipes!

Thanks​

gumbl3

WKR
Norma brass is pretty good and easily found

.05 jump

76 gr but I'd work up to that, should be around 2800

.050" jump has been extremely consistent with all my 30 cal magnum reamers and 215 hybrids! Winchester brass is cheap and works great if weight sorted. I've almost always managed to get sub 15 fps ES with it and push 215's around 2875-2950 depending on barrel length on the Winmag!

Mike

Norma brass is pretty good and easily found

.05 jump

76 gr but I'd work up to that, should be around 2800
I agree Norma brass is good, but not easily found. At least not right now. Nosler and Norma 300 win mag brass are both hard to find at the moment

hwy1strat

WKR
I am running Norma brass. I bought 100 rounds of the new Berger ammo in order to test the 215gr in my rifle and then use the Norma brass that it is loaded in. On a side note, the Berger ammo shot extremely well and I had an SD of 12fps from it.

Also, where do you normally go shoot? I am also in the Springs

OP
michaelfdyer
I do load development and zeroing over at Magnum Shooting Center. I use Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex to go out to 300 yards on paper (they have longer lanes but they restrict 30 cal magnums to 300 yards. Still searching for a range in the local area that will let me get out to 800-ish yards. I hear you can go up to the national forest north of Woodland Park but I've never attempted that.

hwy1strat

WKR
It is really annoying that Cheyenne won't let you shoot past 300 with a 300winmag. I normally test my reloads their, but most of my shooting is done in the National Forest. If you ever wanted to go shoot out there, let me know

OP
michaelfdyer
.050" jump has been extremely consistent with all my 30 cal magnum reamers and 215 hybrids! Winchester brass is cheap and works great if weight sorted. I've almost always managed to get sub 15 fps ES with it and push 215's around 2875-2950 depending on barrel length on the Winmag!

Mike
Thanks Mike! What kind of primers do you recommend? I’m running CCI 250s for my 300 Win Mag bit I’ve heard people attribute some crazy large groups to not using a magnum primer.

elkguide

WKR
Thanks Mike! What kind of primers do you recommend? I’m running CCI 250s for my 300 Win Mag bit I’ve heard people attribute some crazy large groups to not using a magnum primer.

The standard that the old timers taught me was that up to 70 grains of powder, large rifle primers were fine but once you cracked the 70 grain mark, magnum all the way.

From my experience, CCI primers tend to be a little bit harder and need a hard strike to consistently ignite.