22-250 and partitions

wgood

FNG
Hello all,
I recently picked up a Remington Model 7 Predator in 22-250. Been working on breaking in the barrel and getting close to working up some loads. It's going to be almost strictly a predator rifle, but I would also like to use it to fill some doe tags. In WY, any .22 cal must shoot 60gr bullets for deer and antelope. Curious if anyone has had luck with the 1:14 twist stabilizing the Nosler 60gr Partitions? Read of a few people getting it to shoot since it is a shorter overall bullet, but just wanted to see if anyone has any personal experience.
Thanks!

I am interested in this topic as well. I have a new 22-250 with a 1:9 twist and want to shoot a 60+ grain bullet to hunt deer and antelope in Wyoming. I am currently shooting 55 grain bullets that I shot in my old 22-250 with a 1:14 twist and they shoot great with my 1:9 twist. I am leaning towards converting to 60 grain partitions because of their reputation as a killer of a bullet. They might not be sexy, but they are effective.

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I am interested in this topic as well. I have a new 22-250 with a 1:9 twist and want to shoot a 60+ grain bullet to hunt deer and antelope in Wyoming. I am currently shooting 55 grain bullets that I shot in my old 22-250 with a 1:14 twist and they shoot great with my 1:9 twist. I am leaning towards converting to 60 grain partitions because of their reputation as a killer of a bullet. They might not be sexy, but they are effective.

You should have good luck shooting the 60's, and could probably even shoot the 75gr AMax with the 1:9. I wish Remington would step away from the 1:14 and use something more versatile. The 1:9 twist is great for such a wide variety of bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevevan

WKR
I have 3, 22-250s but none are 1:14......the 1:12 will shoot the 60NP but prefer the 62 TTSX in the 1:9
I have Sako chambered in 22-250 and to be honest I really don't know the twist. However, I have used that rifle with a 60gr. Nosler loaded with Varget and have gotten great success.

OP
W

wgood

FNG
Good to know, I do believe that the new Sako's have a 1:14 twist. Are you using the partitions? And have you used it to take deer/antelope? Just curious as to the performance

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I have read very good reviews on using varget. It is a temperature sensitive powder correct? Pretty important for WY winters

TauPhi111

WKR
I don't have a 22-250, but I do have a Savage 99 in 250-3000 Savage with an what i think is a 1:14 twist and I have a trick you can try....

I shoot the 80 grain Barnes TTSX in that rifle, but in order to make them stable, I pull the plastic tip out of the hollow point. This was recommended to me by Barnes technical support and it works. The slight reduction in length increased stability enough to where they shoot quiet well. Killed a doe with it this past fall as well. I know partitions don't have tips, but it is something you could try with other bullets with tips.
Personally I'd look to an all copper bullet if you are going to kill deer with a 22 CF as hot as a 22-250

OP
W

wgood

FNG
Yes I have also heard of that, and I think you are probably right with the barnes' considering the velocity of the 22-250. Just have a hard time paying the price of the Barnes bullets I guess. Now just need to load up some somewhat fur friendly loads and start experimenting as soon as this battle gets a few more rounds down it!

Cowlitz77

FNG
I have been using AA2460 for years in my 22-250. Good velocities and meters very evenly. Does a number on rock chucks.

TauPhi111

WKR
Yes I have also heard of that, and I think you are probably right with the barnes' considering the velocity of the 22-250. Just have a hard time paying the price of the Barnes bullets I guess. Now just need to load up some somewhat fur friendly loads and start experimenting as soon as this battle gets a few more rounds down it!

I hear you about the price of copper, but I think it's worth it. I forget who said it, but I heard someone say on a podcast or something that of all the gear you have for hunting, the only thing that actually touches that animal before it dies is the bullets. It is the one thing that absolutely has to work, so spend the money on them. In comparison to your rifle, clothes, optics, and other gear, bullets are also pretty cheap. I shoot Barnes or copper for all my hunting rifles, but only for final sight in or at game. All my practice I do with cheaper target bullets that have the same weight and similar BC.

The 60 grain minimum really sucks for you because there are some great bullets out there under 60 grains that I think would serve you well.

If you call Barnes and tell them your dilemma, they will send you samples of bullets to load and try if you ask. Then you can see if a 62gr TTSX with the tip pulled will even be stable in your gun before you buy a box. I did that with my 99 and they sent me samples of the 100 grain TSX and TTSX and the 80 grain TTSX

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I hear you about the price of copper, but I think it's worth it. I forget who said it, but I heard someone say on a podcast or something that of all the gear you have for hunting, the only thing that actually touches that animal before it dies is the bullets. It is the one thing that absolutely has to work, so spend the money on them. In comparison to your rifle, clothes, optics, and other gear, bullets are also pretty cheap. I shoot Barnes or copper for all my hunting rifles, but only for final sight in or at game. All my practice I do with cheaper target bullets that have the same weight and similar BC.

The 60 grain minimum really sucks for you because there are some great bullets out there under 60 grains that I think would serve you well.

If you call Barnes and tell them your dilemma, they will send you samples of bullets to load and try if you ask. Then you can see if a 62gr TTSX with the tip pulled will even be stable in your gun before you buy a box. I did that with my 99 and they sent me samples of the 100 grain TSX and TTSX and the 80 grain TTSX

Thank you for the info! I will definitely be contacting Barnes and seeing, I would use them for sure if I could use some samples and to see if they even work before coughing up the cash for a box of them. Thank you and I will keep you posted!

TauPhi111

WKR
Thank you for the info! I will definitely be contacting Barnes and seeing, I would use them for sure if I could use some samples and to see if they even work before coughing up the cash for a box of them. Thank you and I will keep you posted!

Cool. The best way I've found to remove tips is just to hold the bullet an slowly work it out with a small pair of needle nose pliers. Be careful not to break the tip off and leave a little plastic in the nose cavity.

If that fails and no big game bullets would stabilize, I'd find the best shooting 60 grainer, work for close shots, and smoke em in the head. No meat wasted on does.