.22-250 Suggestions?

ZT3006

FNG
I know its not one of the rifles you were originally thinking of, but I have a Thompson Center Venture Predator in 22-250 and love it. It is light and very accurate. It shoots Hornady V-max hand loads well. I really like the rifle enough for me to be thinking on getting another TC in 300 win mag.

The Tikka T3/ T3x, in either .22-250 Rem or better yet,.. a .243 Win or, 6 CM for, the WINDY, Days !
The 87 Grain Horn V-Max or 87 grain Berger Hunting, HP's, at 3150- 3200 FPS, get IT,.. DONE !
PS; I wouldn't buy, a "Heavy" Barrel to, Hunt Coyotes with ! WHY, the weight to, walk miles, calling, Yotes ??

I got a Ruger American Predator a couple years ago. I love it. Cheaper rifle and super accurate. They happened to have it in a Kryptek camo stock when I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
So I had to find out. Per tikkas website their 22-250s are all 1-14. Did they make a special run at some point?

I called a local shop and they indicated they could still order the 1:8 twist ones from their supplier. Sounds like a few are still floating around.

mcr-85

WKR
I have a savage model 12 with a 1-9 twist. It really likes the sierra 69 tmk. Its not a lightweight gun by any means, but I don't mind packing it. Its a shooter for sure.

Rambler

FNG
I'm looking at getting a .22-250 for some predator hunting and I was wondering if you all had suggestions on a brand and model. Not looking at expensive models, but so far I was looking at the offerings from Weatherby, Tikka and Savage. I'm looking for a lighter gun, I'm not into the heavey barrels that most varmit guns have. What do you all recommend?

An 8 twist .22-250 is pretty hard to beat for a coyote rifle. I have the special run 8 twist RA from Wittakers that is superbly accurate with 75gr ELD's and tough on coyotes at almost 3300fps.

Prestjd

FNG
With today's options it's certainly easy to find a relatively cheap gun that shoots well. I'd figure out what bullets you plan on shooting and see who makes a barrel in that twist. Predator hunting i would want a heavy bullet, prairie dogs not so much.
If you re load I'd sure look at a 223 ai if you have a Smith nearby. Shilen barrels are pretty cheap and accurate. You can reload 223ai incredibly cheap and can push it to very similar ballistics of the 250.
If you really want to push a heavy 22 cal bullet look into a fast twist 22 250ai, 22 creed, etc. But brass can get pricey. Personally I'd pick a 6mm of sort

Vedauvoo

FNG
I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint in 223. Obscenely accurate! It states on the barrel 1:8 twist. The rifle is a tad heavy to pack around. If I had the choice I would get a 22-250 in a light rifle for a walk-about hunt. For most shots the high velocity of any bullet from 40 to 55 gr takes a lot of the guess work out of shots out to 300 yds+. Wrecks havoc with pelts, if that is a concern.

Put me in the Savage camp with a Nikon Coyote Special Scope. That center ring is great on moving shots. The Accutrigger is sweet.

ELK HOLE.JPG

Gary58

FNG
Tikka T3 or old Remington 788 with a Timney trigger. I have both and the Remington shoots better than the Tikka on most days. However, iI had the Tikka stock dipped and it is my go to gun day in and out.

Sodbuster

WKR
I have a 1:8 twist Tikka and a 1:8 twist Ruger American. Both shoot Sierra 77 TMK well.
I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with that load too.

Tikka T3 or old Remington 788 with a Timney trigger. I have both and the Remington shoots better than the Tikka on most days. However, iI had the Tikka stock dipped and it is my go to gun day in and out.
my first 22-250 back in the late 1970's Missed the intro price of 78$ but not by much! Later had a 308 short barrel that later on rebarreled to 243AI. Both gone nut not forgotten. Good to here they are still around

bnbrk94

FNG
I have a savage model 110. Action is not as good as the tikka but it sure shoots. Can’t go wrong with either.

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with a Ruger American. Put my firsts shots through it yesterday to dial it in and its a great shooter. Can't wait to get the ammo dialed in now. Right now I'm trying Hornady V-Max 55gr and Remington PSP 55gr

sneaky

"DADDY"
An 8 twist .22-250 is pretty hard to beat for a coyote rifle. I have the special run 8 twist RA from Wittakers that is superbly accurate with 75gr ELD's and tough on coyotes at almost 3300fps.
I would agree up to a point. If you ever shot a lighter bullet out of that 8 twist though, especially the varmint bullets, it's liable to fly into a million pieces. For the heavies though that's a great setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk