22-250 vs 223

Yotehntr

FNG
I coyote hunt and prefer the 22-250 but for just practice I'd go with the 223 for all the reasons above, barrel life etc.

TheGDog

WKR
I have both .223 and .22-250. I’d choose the .223 every day of the week for your needs. I actually like shooting the .223 and .243 better than the .22-250.
Hmph.. really? I need to ask then... having not shot either .243 or .22-250... when comparing .243 vs .22-250... since *I think* .243 would have slightly more recoil... can you elaborate on why you like shooting it better than .22-250?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Hmph.. really? I need to ask then... having not shot either .243 or .22-250... when comparing .243 vs .22-250... since *I think* .243 would have slightly more recoil... can you elaborate on why you like shooting it better than .22-250?
I have a 22-250 and a 6 creedmoor and the recoil isn't much worse even without a brake and about the same with, but I'm loading 105gr VLD with not much more powder and can usually hold MOA out to 800yds in minimal wind where the 55gr out of the 22-250 gets blown around pretty easily after a couple hundred. My buddies daughter took down her first doe and a spike bull with it last year too. Impressive little round.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider

If I'm practicing or shooting in volume (e.g. p-dog town), my preference is .223. Regarding your question, I started shooting a .243 years before I picked up the .22-250. With the .243, there is a larger selection of bullets for factory twisted barrels as opposed to factory twist .22-250s. I have a 8 twist .22-250 and I shoot up to a 75 grain bullet in it. With my .243s. I can go up to 100 gr. It provides a little extra punch for deer which is probably why I prefer it. However, there are no flies on the .22-250 other than barrel life. That can also be said for the .243. Recoil is similar enough b/t the two to not notice much of a difference.

TheGDog

WKR
Been thinking I want to get a .243 Win to essentially replace the .308 Win. The .308 isn't too bad with 150gr... but honestly I don't particularly care for shooting it with the Barnes TTSX168gr VOR-TX loadings.

Figure with .243 around, when I can convince the boy to go with me... if we see a deer the .243 would be a little better than a .223 for him to shoot at dear, and for me... sounds like it'd be the sweet spot where the shooting experience becomes pleasant again. Because I don't mind the .30-30 lever action I have at all. And it looks like .243 energy/recoil numbers are actually just shy of .30-30, so I figure it'd be a win-win, since I could then use it most of the other time, when he's not.

Zappaman

WKR
As the OP asked... what rifle to practice with?

Trick question, right ;) We all chimed in with our own preferences and experiences so far. But I think it should ALSO be said (to the OP) that we should certainly "practice" with the gun we are actually going hunting with!

As a re-loader, it is indeed true that it's much easier for me to take ANY load to the range without going broke. And I can "tinker" with the load some to get it in the "sub-MOA" range. But given that you buy a good firearm (like ANY Tikka as the OP suggested), and a good scope and take it out for few rounds before your hunt... THIS is probably the BEST practice you can get (* while the rifle will site in without issues)- needing FEW rounds to be "hunting ready".

I'm taken a LOT of friends (and their friends and kids) out on a hunt on our family ranches. In fact, I was the de-facto "guide" for many a banker, land man, and cattle buyer who came our way (*as ranch owners in Texas and New Mexico). Strictly deer hunting... but it was always the guys (and a few gals) who practiced shooting BEFORE the hunt that were fun to help out. They rarely missed and didn't take shots out to 400 yards like the "non-practiced" folks who always showed up with a $1000 rifle (back in 1980). Haha! (we've all heard the story).

But that "story" here exists because it's universally true that:

When you actively prepare for a hunt and check your rifle (maybe take a back-up rifle too) AND also go over all your gear (despite your experience level) ... YOU WILL ENJOY the hunt (and have a MUCH higher chance of success, while ALSO being a pleasure to take out on a hunt for those sharing thier land and knowledge with you).