22 Creed SRP primer choice?

I am throwing together a 22 Creed. I have lots of the Alpha SRP 22 Creed brass on hand. I am going to try H1000 and RL 26 in it with 85.5 Berger's.

I haven't loaded/shot anything with SRP's before here. I live where it gets cold and have read that occasionally people have had issues with fail to fires when using SRP's in the cold. Should I just try magnum primers or will that not help with the issue? Also is it an actual issue using SRP's down to say -30* in a 22 Creed sized case with H1000/RL 26 or is it just internet myth/bro science?

Regards, Branden

Venatic

FNG
I have not shot quite that cold but when using SRP in cases of that size I normally use CCI 450’s for two reasons. One is thicker cup since your firing pin is probably designed for LR it may cause a burn thru on SRP’s with thinner cups like the CCI 400.
Second is better ignition for larger powder charges.
Most of my 22 Creedmoor is LR but I mainly use SRP in 6.5 Creedmoor for match’s. I like having a Supply of both that way I can use both sizes of primers if in the future my primer supply dictates.

freddyG

WKR
You will get hangfires in freezing weather. At. -30* F, I don’t even know if they will go off. As stated above mag primers are a must.

OP
dirtytough
I appreciate the response. After more digging I came to the same conclusion. Not much downside going with mag primers.

freddyG

WKR
I guess I need to clarify. Using cci 450s(or any other SRP), they will hangfire somewhere between 20-35* F. The 450s are a bit better, but you will still have problems. I guess it’s worth a try in your rifle since you already have them. Good luck.

BWB

FNG
I had a couple issues with Peterson SRP brass in cold weather and CCI450s but the flash hole in the Peterson Brass is smaller than the Alpha. I have not experienced the same issue with Alpha OCD SRP brass. YMMV

edit: I'm running H4350

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I ran BR-4 in a 6 creed with rl 26 and I never had an issue with them hang firing. With that being said you might get a little bit of 4350 and try that also. RL 26 and H1000 are both pretty slow depending on what barrel length you are running.

OP
dirtytough
I have 8lbs of H4350 for a backup. I might start with it now after all the info above. I definitely appreciate the reply's.

Reactions: XLR
Alpha SRP brass, H4350 powder, CCI 450 SRM primers, 75 grain bullets for 1:8 rot.

No one I know has issues with 450s. I also live/shoot/hunt in the same polar belt, fwiw.

Lawnboi

WKR
Going to test this in the cold this week?

I’m about to order some 22 creed brass. I have srp, alot of them but my large rifle primer stash could be better.

OP
dirtytough
Yea I’m going out tonight. It won’t be -30 ambient though. Hopefully I get a lot of shooting in.

Shot SRP 25 creedmoor (lapua necked up from 6mm) a few times around 0F, no hang fires. N555 powder and CCI #41

OP
dirtytough
Interested in results
Zero dogs responded. And since it was plots you aren’t supposed to target shoot. So I didn’t feel good about unloading a couple mags even though I wouldn’t of gotten caught.

If it gets cold again this year I’ll make sure to go to the range and test it.