.22 LR recommendation

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I got an itch for a new squirrel rifle and am open to suggestions. Right now I’m between tikka t1x and cz457. My 17 HMR is a cz452 and I like it, but I’m really interested in the tikka. If anyone has experience with either, or a different rifle I oughta be lookin at I’d appreciate it. Thanks

For squirrel? I use a short (16.5" barrel) little Ruger 10/22 with a fixed 4x scope. I run it without the tripod and suppressor normally. Sounds like you want something a bit more fancy. Good luck!

10-22.jpg

Last edited:

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you're favoring a bolt action. If you're open to autos, it's pretty tough to beat a Ruger 10-22...

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I should have specified bolt action. I’ve already got an auto and lever action, just lookin to round out the collection with a bolt. Mike that is a sharp Ruger.

elkguide

WKR
I have "several" .22's and am very partial to each of them.
Of the 2 you mentioned, the CZ wins hands down. In a bolt action I really like the Ruger 77/22.

You didn't mention the old, venerable pump actions. Probably my favorite .22 (tied with the 10/22 Ruger) would be a Model 61 Winchester. If you ever find one, grab it quickly. That little pump is just a fun, accurate rifle.

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Elkguide, I forgot about the 77/22, I don’t see many for sale around my area. I always liked the ones with the boat paddle stocks on em. My dad has my grandpas old model 61 in his safe. I haven’t shot it in a while, But I’ll have to borrow it soon now that you reminded me of it.

Savage mark2. I have shot many squirrels with it and my current record is 109 yards however it did take 3 shots to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
Last edited:
If you want cheap, I have been pleasantly surprised by my little Ruger American. It isn’t in the league with the other guns mentioned here in terms of fit but it is fairly accurate for 1/2 to a 1/3 the price.

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like the tikkas really shoot. I’m going to have to find one locally to get my hands on. I just wish they didn’t have that big goofy magazine hanging out the bottom. I’m not really looking at the savages or Americans right now.