.22 LR scope for kid

RogerNH

FNG
Last summer I bought a single-shot Savage Rascal FV-SR (threaded barrel) to teach my son (6) and daughter (9) how to shoot. The rifle currently has a beat up Simmons fixed power scope I bought off the used rack at the gun shop. The scope is too high causing my kids to take their cheeks off the stock. So, what scope and mounts would be better for kids in general? Should I also install a cheek riser on this rifle so they are not picking their heads up if needed? I am not sure a red dot would work for them. They might not be able to wrap their heads around "looking through" the dot to the target. Thank you for any suggestions.
IMG_8290.jpg

Rob5589

WKR
Get shorter rings. Rings for grooved rimfire receivers will should sit lower than the base/ring combo you have. You may have to build up the stock some either way. He's just a little dude.

Motown

WKR
Try to find a Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5-7. Awesome little compact scopes for around $150 and made in Japan with great clarity.

BCsteve

WKR
I have a Rascal for my daughters. I have a TRS25 red dot on it but I did have to install a cheek riser on it. They don’t seem to have any problems with the red dot.
E80-B43-FD-6621-4-AD9-8-D78-AEE88-DD66564.jpg

OP
RogerNH

RogerNH

FNG
That looks like a nice setup. I might just get a red dot to play with. I think the cheek riser will be a must to keep their heads down on the stock.

I have a Rascal for my daughters. I have a TRS25 red dot on it but I did have to install a cheek riser on it. They don’t seem to have any problems with the red dot.
E80-B43-FD-6621-4-AD9-8-D78-AEE88-DD66564.jpg

Last edited:

10ring1

FNG
That looks like a nice setup. I might just get a red dot to play with. I think the wheel riser will be a must to keep their heads down on the stock.
Was going to suggest a red dot. Easier to use for now. Also keeps it interesting for the kids with the bright glowing dot haha. Plus u can get them really reasonable

OP
RogerNH

RogerNH

FNG
I ordered a Bushnell TRS25 red dot to try. I'll work on making a cheek riser for the stock after the red dot is mounted. Thanks everyone for your guidance.

You’ll need to install a riser or build a new stock.
That’s the one flaw with Rascal, it has way too much drop.

BCsteve

WKR
Be sure to show us the finished product. I just added a similar one to a shortened Rem 700 synthetic for a .260 Rem I’m setting up for my daughters.

OP
RogerNH

RogerNH

FNG
My son shot his rifle today and we had a blast (no pun intended). I set up his old kiddie table and chair for him and he used his bipod for the first time. This kid can shoot! I set up some targets I'm guessing 20-25 yards away. I fired about 5 shots to sight in his new Burris TRS-25 red dot and then he shot the rest. We used CCI subsonics and man are they quiet. The Sparrow 22 suppressor helps a lot too.

I held the ammo box and handed him one round at a time. I was also teaching him range safety, muzzle control, and to always treat the rifle as if it was loaded. I also gave him a lesson on squeezing vs. jerking the trigger and also keeping his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot.

Just like me, he is right handed but left eye dominant. He has a hard time closing his left eye so he shot left handed today and did fantastic. He did hold his head up off the stock some. Cheek riser build in the next post...

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1499D.jpg

Pretty darn awesome for a 6 year old!
IMG_1503.jpg

OP
RogerNH

RogerNH

FNG
Here is the cheek riser I built for my son today when we got home from shooting his rifle. I made a template out of cardboard and bent it over the stock to see how it would look and fit. Once I was satisfied with the design, my son and I drove to the hardware store to get some bolts, knobs, and washers. When we got home, I used the 5/8" bolts to layout the adjustment slots. I then traced the pattern onto a sheet of 2mm kydex I ordered off of Amazon. I used a utility knife to score the kydex then used pliers to break off the pieces. It worked really well. I used a 5/8" drill bit to cut out the slots then used a Dremel to clean them up. You have to be quick with the Dremel because it'll melt the kydex. Once all of the cuts were made, I sanded all of the edges and slots to clean everything up.

IMG_1508D.jpg

IMG_1509D.jpg

I then needed a way to heat up the kydex with my heat gun and form it to a comfortable shape to go over the butt stock. Luckily, my shop stool leg was the perfect shape. I clamped it to my table, centered the riser on the leg and started heating it up.

IMG_1510D.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the shape, I then put it on the rifle and decided on where to put the holes. This was probably the most stressful part of the project. DRILLING THE STOCK. I took my time in measuring then used a smaller bit to make the first holes. The stock is also hollow. Once the first holes were made, I changed to a 5/8" bit and made them bigger for the bolts.

I put washers wherever there was a gap. The stock is wedged-shaped and is thicker near the butt pad. I used more washers on the front bolt.

IMG_1511D.jpg

IMG_1512D.jpg

IMG_1513D.jpg

IMG_1514D.jpg

Because the stock is so small and the slots are close to each other, I had to put an adjustment knob on each side. They'd hit each other if they were both on the same side of the stock. I can fix this later with smaller knobs. Everything is nice and tight and the cheek riser holds in place nicely.

In the end, my son loves it and his line of sight through the red dot is so much better. No more needing to pick his head up. He wanted a sling on his rifle "like dad's" so I dug out an old sling and shortened it enough for his rifle. I can't wait to get him into the woods this fall.

Last edited:
IMo you don't need much of a scope on a 22 trainer. I have one that wears a vortex, another with a task cheaply and one with a nikon. I like a little bit of magnification for practicing precision - 2-7 or 3-9.

Low rings are fine. a cheek riser is a great idea. a little foam and some duct tape will do as well and is easy to remove or adjust as they grow.