22 Mag vs Muskeg

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning Roksliders! I'm looking to get a second Kifaru bag. I already have a Fulcrum that is a great do all pack and have quite a few accessories for it to make it a beast for sure. However, I'm in the market to get a dedicated smaller bag for day hunting deer and elk where I know that I'll be returning home every night, but want to cut some weight (fulcrum isn't light, nor is it meant to be). My question is, for my purposes of day hunting and wanting to use a load shelf if need be, which would be better, the new 22Mag of the Muskeg 2800? I had looked at the Stryker, but want something with a little more space in the bag. For reference, I live in WA state, but occasionally travel to Texas, Idaho or NM to hunt when the budget allows. TIA

Norm555

WKR
I have the 22 mag and like it a lot. Haven't used the load shelf on it but its the same as all other kifaru packs and works good. I believe the muskeg would work great as well so I would pick the pack that fits your style more.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
i was in the same dilemma muskeg or 22 mag. i just traded for a new 22 Mag RG I'm glad i did. I'm going to test it out this weekend with a little gear and throw some last minute scouting of some spots i got staked out.

But just attaching it to the new kifaru frame i just got the vision of the perfect daypack popped in my mind as i was organizing gear in my head. Its very spacious more like 3500 maybe a couple of hundred cubic inches less.

I'm a newbie with kifaru bags, the load shelf is a bit elevated since i got it on a 24" frame but i see no issue with a decent dry/meat bag sandwiched in there.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
love my 22mag (2nd gen) for just the situation you described.
my multi day trip pack is the Reckoning, served me well for 4 years now.

2019 system 22Mag capacity fits my need for daypack gear and possible 1 night out gear. If away from vehicle several miles and game down late in the day, I'll spend the night there. Being solo, processing will take late into the night. Spike camp, build small fire, process elk/deer, Grab some sleep and pack out in the morning.
here's a couple images of summer training days...22MAG with full daypack/1 night of gear, other Kifaru accessories (pockets, Grab-it).

note: that's a Kifaru Tut tent, in Kifaru pocket, strapped to bottom of pack. Don't always take the Tut for one night, just tarp, bivy, sleep pad and quilt. Other one night essentials is my jetboil, 1 Mtn House meal, assorted snacks.

Attachments

• 2020.GC TRAIN WALK 1.jpg
    2020.GC TRAIN WALK 1.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2020.GC TRAIN WALK 2.jpg
    2020.GC TRAIN WALK 2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
Ctitus25

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
love my 22mag (2nd gen) for just the situation you described.
my multi day trip pack is the Reckoning, served me well for 4 years now.

22Mag capacity fits my need for daypack gear and possible 1 night out gear. If away from vehicle several miles and game down late in the day, I'll spend the night there. Being solo, processing will take late into the night. Spike camp, build small fire, process elk/deer, Grab some sleep and pack out in the morning.
here's a couple images of summer training days...22MAG with full daypack/1 night of gear, other Kifaru accessories (pockets, Grab-it).

note: that's a Kifaru Tut tent, in Kifaru pocket, strapped to bottom of pack. Don't always take the Tut for one night, just tarp, bivy, sleep pad and quilt. Other one night essentials is my jetboil, 1 Mtn House meal, assorted snacks.
Nice!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
note; I have a Kifaru Guide Lid in the Muskeg fabric. Usually use Guide Lid with Reckoning but maybe with my 22 mag set up too.
I hunt mainly eastern WA (dry side).
Although better for NWestern WA weather conditions (WET!), this Muskeg material is very noisy.

the meat shelf:

Have taken load of elk rear quarter, one backstrap with Kifaru frame/22 mag bag/day gear....no problem and that total weight of day gear/meat at 105 lbs carried, balanced nicely. Got back to truck the next morning with that first load, unloaded all gear, meat. Went back in with frame/22Mag bag, Quarter Panel and 2 more trips had entire bull's meat packed out. 4th trip back in for the hide, head/antlers. Not bad solo for a 62 year old, hey?
to say the least, slept good that night back at wall tent base camp.

Last edited:
OP
Ctitus25

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
note; I have a Kifaru Guide Lid in the Muskeg fabric. Usually use Guide Lid with Reckoning but maybe with my 22 mag set up too.
I hunt mainly eastern WA (dry side).
Although better for NWestern WA weather conditions (WET!), this Muskeg material is very noisy.

the meat shelf:

Have taken load of elk rear quarter, one backstrap with Kifaru frame/22 mag bag/day gear....no problem and that total weight of day gear/meat at 105 lbs carried, balanced nicely. Got back to truck the next morning with that first load, unloaded all gear, meat. Went back in with frame/22Mag bag, Quarter Panel and 2 more trips had entire bull's meat packed out. 4th trip back in for the hide, head/antlers. Not bad solo for a 62 year old, hey?
to say the least, slept good that night back at wall tent base camp.
Great insights. I was on the fence but I think the 22 Mag will fit the bill best from what it sounds like.

JDB9818

WKR
I had both of these bags at the same time, the Gen 2 22 mag and the Muskeg 2800.

I sold the 22 Mag and I’m using the Muskeg now. I personally love the bag. The biggest reason is the side zipper. I use an OGL as well and I like the access without moving the lid. The bag expands using the snow collar but it compresses very well also.

The 22 Mag is nice also I just prefer the Muskeg. Now if they ever made the 357 Mag to use with an external frame I probably get one of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Ctitus25

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I had both of these bags at the same time, the Gen 2 22 mag and the Muskeg 2800.

I sold the 22 Mag and I’m using the Muskeg now. I personally love the bag. The biggest reason is the side zipper. I use an OGL as well and I like the access without moving the lid. The bag expands using the snow collar but it compresses very well also.

The 22 Mag is nice also I just prefer the Muskeg. Now if they ever made the 357 Mag to use with an external frame I probably get one of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
Any Pics? Haven't seen any of the small Muskeg.

3aa325c3bb110f594e9cb73bc3ffbe05.jpg

df194344f004d8c6fe1e50530dc5cc34.jpg