22 mag vs tarryall

jgeary338

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a pack to use from a carry on for work travel to being able to spend a day or 2 in the woods. I am torn between the 22mag with ultralight frame and 22inch stays or the tarryall. Just looking for some input from you knowledgeable people! Thanks!

If you're not planning on hauling a bunch of weight (less than 50 pounds or so), I'd go with the Tarryall. I picked one up last week and took it out shed hunting over the weekend and its obviously super comfortable. It will pack down a lot better, allowing it to be crammed in an overhead bin for travel. I also loaded it up with enough gear for a late summer backpack scouting trip and I think I'll be able to get 3-4 days out of it (with tripod and scope in side pockets).

I think its a perfect pack for airline travel and backpacking with optics. I would definitely not want to haul meat though.

Brendan

WKR
22 Mag will be more flexible. With the UL Frame - you can swap to carbon or aluminum 22" stays, and you could swap on another bag if you wanted.

deadwolf

WKR
If only Kifaru would make a version of the Tarryall to go on a frame I'd have the perfect daypack/3 day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to run the 22Mag and 22ul frame as a travel & day trip pack and it was just too much. Even removing the belt it just seemed bulky and overkill to run around town and carry into and out of work. Swapped it for a 14'er and have been much happier. Chose the 14'er over the Tarryall because I have the extra pockets (belt pouches and SS pockets) to expand the carrying capacity as needed. Hoping the slimmer profile and lighter weight would be better in the travel day trip scenario. So far so good and I wouldn't change a thing.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to run the 22Mag and 22ul frame as a travel & day trip pack and it was just too much. Even removing the belt it just seemed bulky and overkill to run around town and carry into and out of work. Swapped it for a 14'er and have been much happier. Chose the 14'er over the Tarryall because I have the extra pockets (belt pouches and SS pockets) to expand the carrying capacity as needed. Hoping the slimmer profile and lighter weight would be better in the travel day trip scenario. So far so good and I wouldn't change a thing.

I would agree with mrbill. I tried to take the belt off of my 22 mag (riding on a 22" UL frame) & travel with it and it sucked. Just to big & bulky for a carry-on. I can't imagine what a pain it would've been if I would've left the belt on the frame. Also, without the belt, it was somewhat uncomfortable.

I'll put it this way, the 22 mag as a carry on will work & does work. I would use it again in a pinch, but if you are travelling with it a lot, it doesn't offer the organization or convenience that a bag like the tarryall would. I've got a buddy that has a tarryall & he is in love with that thing. He uses it as his EDC and couldn't be happier.

If you don't plan on flying a ton, the 22 mag becomes a little bit more realistic as an EDC, but even then, I think something like the tarryall or 14'r is much better suited to fit the bill.

I use my Tarryall as my travel bag. The open sleeve in the front is perfect easy access for my laptop and a few file folders. I have not yet had a flight where I couldn't get it to fit in the overhead even when loaded for 3 days with PPE. My ONLY complaint came up just last week when I made my first visit to the Kifaru HQ. I wanted to grab the large organizer and realized my Tarryall doesn't have PALs webbing. Other than that it's probably one of my 3 most prized possessions.

Gobbler

FNG
fwiw I travel with the 22Mag all the time, incl planes, it's perfect. I do have couple belt pouches for added organization but for me it works. I do not find it cumbersome at all. But from the comments above recognize it is a lot of bag. It holds a lot. And the Tarryall is even larger yet. So if you're not filling them every day I imagine they start to feel too big. Tip on the 22Mag - I've removed the compression straps and I keep the pockets tight with just bungie cord (threads through tab loops along edge of pockets and frame). Provides instant access to the main compartment. And the cord flexes to the size of whatever I put in the pockets or keeps them flat when empty.

For me, I picked up a Native for carrying around town. I hate the weight on my shoulders so I take the 22Mag off the frame and attach the Native (4 K-clips on 22" frame lines up right, you don't need the straps). Perfect size for a laptop, paperwork, plus gym gear etc. For the straight utility of it it's the best small bag they've made in years. I couldn't be happier with it. So it's 22Mag and Native for me solves all my problems.