22 pistol that isn't a POS

TauPhi111

WKR
Can anyone recommend some models of 22 LR pistols that aren't junk. I'm specifically looking for pistols that are basically 22 LR versions of larger caliber pistols like a 1911, Beretta 92, Glock 19, Sig 226, etc. I was interested in a Sig Mosquito, but it seams that they are pretty unreliable and very picky. I was hoping not to spend more than 4-5 hundred bucks, preferably less. The GSG Firefly is the Mosquito 2.0- anyone have any experience with those? What about the GSG 1911's?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Tried the conversion route didn't like any I tried. I went with the M&P 22 Compact, I probably have 2000 plus rounds down it with no issues yet.
bab35763b33a025a40895c79d86896b0.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
My wife has had an M&P she thinks since 2012. Nobody has ever cleaned it or even field stripped it. Runs great and is a hoot because it is silly accurate.

If you are willing to try something other than what you have listed above, I absolutely love my Browning Buckmark. It is extremely accurate and I’ve never once had a problem. Even when I run cheap ammo. Good luck with your decision.

Have had about 5,000 rnds through a s&w 317 3" the last 9 months.

Had reservations about an aluminum frame gun but it's been awesome. Sets the bar for kit gun..

If ur willing to cut coil off of a 1911 mainspring or strictly run mini mags..

1911 conversions have always been fine for me. i have a ww2 1911a1 that I try to keep the round count down so the kimber gets a good workout when I'm home. Probably an even 10,000rds or so down the pipe over the years. Not stupid accurate but plenty good for running drills and what not. No major malfunctions that can think of.. oh the front dovetail was cut too big so I staked and epoxied the front sight post.. decent adjustable sights.

Jeffp

FNG
I have a browning 1911-22. Works great. If size is not an issue the buck marks and ruger mark1-3 series are hard to beat for accuracy and reliability

hodgeman

WKR
Cheap and Good are not often used together in .22 pistols.

I've tried some of the conversions, not generally awesome and can be pretty glitchy. For good reliability, a used Ruger Mark II/III is probably the best you can find for the least $$$...the Ruger .22 has been around for 70 years for a reason...they work.

We shot alot with mark 3 rugers in my earlier years. Never fell in love with the platform.

Ruger 22/45 is darn close to a 1911 style grip. Actually, you can slightly mod 1911 grips to fit the 22/45. That is the way mine is set up, feels great in hand, accurate as anything, feeds flawlessly with good ammo.
And mine, stock + a trigger over travel set screw, consistently puts me in the top 3 of our local leagues. Mixed right in with the expensive guns.

Rob5589

WKR
And mine, stock + a trigger over travel set screw, consistently puts me in the top 3 of our local leagues. Mixed right in with the expensive guns.
Mine has a little trigger work and over travel set screw as well. With a red dot it is stupid easy to make hits at 50+ yds. The cool thing about the Ruger is the ton of aftermarket support. I have 3 and won't ever part with any of them.

264win

WKR
Lots of poor quality pistols in this arena. Best advise imho would be to get a quality 22. SW revolver, Ruger mk, Browning bookmark perhaps a SW victory.

I have seen some CZ cadets and conversion kits that ran well, but no experience with them personally.

ruger mark 3 are heavy

Stupid hard to take apart and clean.
Grip angle sucks. Can't believe you guys are comparing it to a 1911. It's a 22degree angle grip vs 1911 18 degrees.

Forgot about the cz conversion. My good mate has one and it ran great when we ran it during a pistol competition down in Arizona couple years back.

ruger mark 3 are heavy

Grip angle sucks. Can't believe you guys are comparing it to a 1911. It's a 22degree angle grip vs 1911 18 degrees.

Forgot about the cz conversion. My good mate has one and it ran great when we ran it during a pistol competition down in Arizona couple years back.
Look at the MK 4. They fixed the complexity issue

Rob5589

WKR
ruger mark 3 are heavy

The 22/45 has the similar grip angle, not the MK series. Reassembly takes some "finesse" to say the least but there are kits to get rid of that headache.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger 22/45 is darn close to a 1911 style grip. Actually, you can slightly mod 1911 grips to fit the 22/45. That is the way mine is set up, feels great in hand, accurate as anything, feeds flawlessly with good ammo.
I had one of these for years in a bull barrel, accurate is an understatement. I ended up trading for a mark III Hunter just because I wanted a longer barrel and stainless.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I picked up a S&W 41 a couple years back aNd havent regretted a day of it since. I was in a similar boat and wasnt finding what I wanted in the lower price range. 41s are a bit more than your outlined amount but worth it IMO

I have a ruger Mark 3. It is a pain in the ass to clean but I haven’t stripped it in years. I run a brush through it and blast it with a little carb cleaner. It gobbles up any kind of 22 ammo I run in it and shoots like a laser.

For a more modern take I tried a few conversions. None were great. I have had an m&p for a few years. $300 so it is cheap, but It is a bit more picky about ammo but generally reliable. I have also heard good things about a glock like ISSC pistol that some guys at the range use as a training aid.

A few years back I bought SW 617 10-shot. It is my favorite and most used 22 pistol and the one I introduce shooters to handguns with. It is built on a k frame the same as a 357 so it is a tank. Heirloom quality. It was 2x the price of the sig, but my grand kids will be shooting this thing. I picked up a few speed loaders and a holster and just bang away. The 317 wasn’t an option when I bought this but I might have gone that route if it was. You definitely don’t need the k frame or it’s weight for a 22lr. Mine is a range picker. If I were going to carry this around a lot, I would go with the lighter gun.

Last edited: