.222Rem loaded down to .22WMR

ozyclint

WKR
Been trying to develop a load that will be close to a .22mag in my .222rem.

I've been using AR2206H powder which I believe is the same as the H4895 you guys use in the USA.

tried the 60% of max load thing and while it is great for reduced noise it's becoming obvious that finding a bullet that will expand at low velocity is hard. I have lost a few animals from lack of expansion. the bullets are acting like FMJ's.

I've been using the Speer 40gr spire point #1017 bullet. I'm up to a 20gr charge of powder now which is the starting load. noise is about as much as want to go to and the POI is the same at 100m as my full power 50gr bullet load.

Even with a 20gr charge which should be around 2500fps, they still don't expand very well.

I'm resorting to creating a little hollow point in them to see if that helps.
The main reason I went for that Speer 40gr bullet was the cost. A lot cheaper than anything else available here.

Any bullets worth trying that will be more frangible at lower velocities? If I found something that acts like a .22mag JHP at .22mag velocity it would be great. Low cost is a must. Think high volume shooting at rabbits.

Shame you can't buy .22mag JHP projectiles for reloading.

rayporter

WKR
a custom bullet maker like BIB bullets probably can not get jackets small enough to make 40 gr. bullets. but he might talk to you about it. randy would know that is for sure.

take the 45 and put the tip on a belt sander to open up the point. if you get them with in a grain or so of each other in wt it should not matter if the tip is odd looking. the heel of the bullet is more important for accuracy. tips matter very little.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
I have taken a pointed knife to them and squared off the lead tip level with the jacket then made a hollow point with the knife point. See how that goes I guess.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Shot a couple of rabbits this afternoon with the modified DIY hollow points. knocks them flat but not super explosive but that's fine.
will reserve judgement until I shot something more substantial with them, like coyote sized game.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
OK, I have a bit more experience with these #1017 40gr speer bullets. Shooting them at 2500fps. I have been knocking the lead tip off with a small knife then swaging a sizable hollow point in them. Expansion is still poor. Pencil holes through coyote sized game and they run quite a way before expiring. I found a decent sized portion of a bullet jacket under the skin near the exit hole on one animal. I'm thinking that they might shed the jacket and the lead is too hard and ploughs on through without expanding. Driven at higher velocity they might be OK but they don't seem to be suitable for what I want to do.

Anyone used the Speer #1024 46gr flat nose soft point? These are cheap like the ones I've been using. Any other bullet is twice the price of these things here in Australia.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Ideally, It would be great to be able to get 40gr JHP .22WMR projectiles and load them but not sure there is a source for them for reloading.

260madman

WKR
Not sure if they’re made anymore but Winchester 46gr hp for 22 hornets. Very thin jacket and a deep cavity for hp. They are very accurate in reduced loads for my 223s. Never killed anything with them.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Just got a box of the Speer #1024 46gr flat point. loaded some up to 2750fps which is right on listed loading for .218Bee which this bullet is made for. swaged a small hollow point in them and took a rabbit at 50m. will reserve judgement until I shoot something bigger with it. Those winchester 46gr HP's look to be worth trying but I can't find any one stocking them here.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Any reason these lighter loads with the Speer #1017 and #1024 would group about 1" left at 50m vs my max load with 50gr bullet?
Gun is zeroed for the 50gr bullet load and these loads shoot to the left a little.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
At .218 Bee velocity I'm well beyond .22WMR performance which was my aim but there just isn't a bullet that will expand at .22wmr velocity while being cost comparable with .22wmr ammo. I'm sure there are premium bullets out there that would work at lower velocity but they are damn expensive and not an option.

oldfella

FNG
Ideally, It would be great to be able to get 40gr JHP .22WMR projectiles and load them but not sure there is a source for them for reloading.
I've got 216 40gn 22 mag Jacketed hollow point projectiles,if you're interested. Bought them about 1978. They were used in Stirling brand ammo in the day.
I'm near Caboolture Qld.

Attachments

• 20230226_225741.jpg
    20230226_225741.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 7

FLATHEAD

WKR
A while back I ordered one of those .22WMR reloading kits.
It came with a mold to cast bullets.
Havent tried it.

EdP

WKR
Have you considered powder coated cast bullets? I have zero experience with them but after some quick research it looks like powder coating should get you into the velocity range of the .22 wrm using 40-45 gr bullets without creating a leading problem. Given that the .22 wrm uses a lead bullet in that weight range, expansion should be similar.