.223 bolt action as a plinker/trainer

Loper

WKR
How many of you have the same or similar rifle that you use for medium/large game in a smaller cartridge like .223 Remington? I've been tossing around the idea of getting one simply because .223 is often (but not always) plentiful, cheap and easy to shoot, but I'm not sure it is necessary. My kids are getting to the age where they can probably shoot a low recoiling cartridge (will start with 22LR first). I know many are of the opinion of just practicing with what you hunt with, but currently factory rounds and components are hard to come by. What are some of your guys thoughts on a .223 bolt action as practice tool and range toy?

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
I think you’re on to something…

Yes, yes and YES!

Tikka 223 checks alot of the boxes here!

Kids shot out the barrel on the factory t3x, we then upgraded to a proof with mcmillan stock - they love it running suppressed!

ljalberta

WKR
Got one last year. Tikka .223. I shoot more and as a result I shoot better. Wish I had gotten one sooner.

Put it in a KRG Bravo, which is definitely not needed for the .223, but a fantastic improvement on ergonomics in my books.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I think you’re on to something…

I haven’t visited that thread in a while, but I’m familiar with it. I’m mostly interested in using a .223 at the range, rather than hunting with it.

BLJ

WKR
+5. I went a little cheaper than most.
Ruger American Ranch 16”
AR mags
Athlon Argos 2-12
69 SMK or 77 TMK into MOA or better.

I take it everywhere. This rifle and the 77 TMK combo will be used to kill at least my first deer this year.

Easy to shoot and accurate. Highly recommend for a range/hunting gun for the kids.

2rocky

WKR
My gateway was a Howa I won at a California Waterfowl event. Now I'm paying for 200 packs of jacketed Hollowpoints. Last week in Redmond I got to shoot a suppressed Savage at dynamite 100, 200,300 yards away. Literally was a Blast!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I recently bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 223, but it’s not a trainer. I’ll hunt with it. To me, it’s a waste of money as a “trainer.”

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I haven’t heard anyone provide any cons about buying a .223. Looks like this is next on my list. Who knows, I’ll probably shoot it so much and get so comfortable with it might even use it for hunting. Where I live predator hunting isn’t really a big thing, but hunting deer with a .223 is legal.

sargent

WKR
I just got a Tikka .223 this weekend for all the reasons you mentioned. I cut 3/8" off the stock and 3 3/4" off the barrel to make it as close to my Kimber Hunter .308 as possible. With the same rings and scope, the Tikka is 15 ounces heavier. I might have the barrel and bolt fluted this winter to get the weight closer, but after a little shooting my "trainer" should be ready for my 10 year old boy to hunt with this fall.
IMG_4562.JPG

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord