223 Bulk Ammo for Long Range Practice??

BCD

WKR
Greetings-

I just ordered a Ruger American Predator in 223 that is going to be my training rifle. I'm putting an SWFA 3-15 on it. Can anyone suggest some inexpensive ammo options I might try in this rifle?

Thank You!!

CorbLand

WKR
I cant speak to its consistency but every once in awhile PalmettoStateArmory will run specials on bulk .223. I picked up 1000 rounds and 10 pmags for $300 shipped.

I cant speak to its consistency but every once in awhile PalmettoStateArmory will run specials on bulk .223. I picked up 1000 rounds and 10 pmags for $300 shipped.

PSA a good spot to keep an eye on... Ammoman and lucky Gunner also worth checking out.

Reactions: BCD
What skillset are you trying to acqui

Two basic tiers of budget 223 in regards to trainers. Brass cases at least

first is find a bulk 55-62gr load at 25-35cents a shot that works on all the mechanics under the curve. Optimizing practice for the skillset of: Getting the gun setup to take shots, having a firing solution ready, transitions to secondary targets, gross wind calls etc etc. Generally speaking largish piece of steel 450 and in. 2moa’ish with same zero as go to hunting load is my threshold here.

I think the secondary level is that 40 to 65 cent range

either optimizing group size with something like a remanufactired black hills 52hp load, fiocchi vmax.

Or slowing down and putting it all together to replicate hunting scenarios, something such as the 75gr ppu, 77gr imi, or 75gr Hornady/frontier.

I wish Hornady would bring back their 75gr steel match ammo. That got a couple bird stoned at once at 35cent to the door

Try Prime ammo. It’s affordable and EXTREMELY consistent. They sell in bulk. I shoot their 6.5 Creedmoor ammo for practice, when I’m too lazy to reload. I haven’t shot their .223 but it has a fantastic reputation and many people I know love it. I’ve never read a negative thread about ANY Prime Ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try Prime ammo. It’s affordable and EXTREMELY consistent. They sell in bulk. I shoot their 6.5 Creedmoor ammo for practice, when I’m too lazy to reload. I haven’t shot their .223 but it has a fantastic reputation and many people I know love it. I’ve never read a negative thread about ANY Prime Ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing - I’ll have to give them a whirl.

After seeing responses to the OP, I did start to wonder if there was an accurate bulk option. I’ve tried quite a bit of the lake city stuff, green tips, etc and they all do “just ok” out of any of my AR15s.

tdhanses

WKR
Just don’t buy the Norma Tac crap, it sucks! Unless you just want the brass.

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I was wondering as well.

Not true bulk ammo, but Federal from Walmart, $ 32.99 for 100 rounds; Savage 12FV ($ Sub $ 400 rifle) @ 100 yards. Of course Walmart quit selling them.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3787.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3787.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 23

CorbLand

WKR
I would like to clarify my post above. I can not speak to the consistency of the ammo, not how often PSA runs the sales. I bought a 1000 rounds and have not shot it. I just wanted to clarify that.

I have never found great consistency of any bulk ammo but I also don't shoot that often.

Lawnboi

WKR

The brass is even junk. It’s not real norma brass, sqme goea for the match, went down that road.
Wasn’t bad for 12 bucks a box.

So far I have gotten a case of the norma match for 12 bucks a box
Hornady Black 75 bthp for 8 bucks a box
Hornady match 73 eldm for 12 a box.
If your patient; and don’t mind buying a case or two when you find it, deals can be had. Now it’s not .25 cent a shot 55 grain ammo but I can eat the above prices for decent stuff.

Quin

FNG
For what it's worth, I had really good luck with the "old" black box Norma TAC 55 gr. Found it to be surprisingly accurate, especially for bulk ammo. Not that it does the OP any good as I think it's all gone at this point. Supposedly the new red box Norma is just relabeled Lake City bulk and not worth the cost premium.

223 is inexpensive so it's not going to break the bank to just buy 4 or 5 assorted boxes of stuff from Pmc, Hornady Frontier, Winchester or whatever is stocked locally for you. See what shoots best and then make a bulk buy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is bulk going to give you sub-MOA at 1000 yards? Probably not. But that's not what it was designed for. When you buy a box of 1000 rounds you're not looking for precision, you're looking for cheap ammo to shoot a lot of. The Federal stuff will still hit gongs at 400+ pretty reliably but you're probably not going to win any matches with it.

Prime doesn’t really meet my requirements of “bulk” unless quantity is the only denominator

in that case 77gr tmk from black hills would be the answer.

x2 on the 73gr Hornady ELDM-- if you can find that stuff @ $12 a box or close to it I would jump all over it. The Hornady Black BTHP has also shot consistently well but I won't use it on game.

The 73gr ELDM I've killed deer and hogs with.