.223 Bullet Selection for Predator/Varmit

Wondering what everyone is using as far as bullets go for Predator/Varmit hunting? I am shooting a .223. Just wondering what others are having good success with.

tstowater

WKR
That's going to depend on the gun and barrel twist IMO. My father-in-law shoots a Cooper in a .223 and we have been loading Varmit Nightmare 50 grain bullets from MidSouth Shooters with great success. That particular gun will shoot about anything well, but this has been a great performer on prairie dogs. I generally shoot either a .22-250 or a 220 Swift. Some reason I started with 55 grain soft point bullets for the .22-250 and have stayed with those for no particular reason and shoot 50 grain Ballistic Tips out of the Swift. I'm partial to the Noslers, but that is personal preference more than anything. I'm generally loading to get the splatter upon impact and not to do the least damage to a pelt. Got some Barnes Varmit Gernades and just haven't had the time to play with them. They sound like a lot of fun. If I was chasing coyotes or foxes, I would probably stay with the soft points. Going mountain lion hunting around the 1st of December and planning on taking a .22-250 and will probably use the 55 grain soft points unless someone says not to do that. If you are shooting out of a black gun with a fast twist, forget everything I wrote here and go to bigger bullets. If you are planning on close shooting and don't want to damage a pelt, you could go with lighter bullets such as the 40 or 45 grain ones.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot most of mine with a .22 hornet. I reload a 40 grain Barnes Varminter that stretches the little hornet to 300 yards. I also have a .223, but have used it little for varmints because of the noise. The hornet is pretty quiet compared so I can shoot one and keep calling without spooking close animals still coming in.

tstowater

WKR
Rosinbag, I have been experimenting with a Hornet also. Tell me more about your load. You can PM me rather than highjack this thread. I am curious what others like for their 223's. So many different guns and purposes lead to so many different loads.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
been shooting 50gr. BT out of almost every .223 we have black rifles are varmit series and like the lighter bullets better the other is a rem. 700 and it likes the nosler BT. just my experience

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
tstowater here is my .22 Hornet Load and drop data....

Components

Cartridge Case: Winchester .22 Hornet

Bullet: Barnes Varminator 40 Grain Hollow Point (BC .175)

Primer: Winchester Small Rifle

Powder: Hodgdon H110

Measurements

Case Length: 1.400” Preferred

Overall Length: 1.7685”

Comparator 2.404”
Length:

Powder Charge: 11.5 grains

Average Velocity: 2950 FPS @ 60 degrees

shaun

WKR
For Varmit I am using 36G Varmit Grenade out front of 40G of RL15 I am getting .36 MOA at 100YDS with this load out of my 22-250

tstowater

WKR
Thanks, RosinBag. I've just tried some basic soft points, but have seen some of the better bullets and was considering trying them. Really like the light recoil and noise compared to the Swift and .22-250.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Nosler is a good bullet n varmints. It unfortunately was to long for the Hornet. With a magazine fed rifle it does limit some of your choices.

Wrongside

WKR
I've used lots of the 55 Vmax in my various 223s. Never had them not shoot very well in any 22 CF I've been around. This winter the new Pacnor 1-8 223 will hopefully get a steady diet of 75 Amax. If I can get a load for them, it will extend my range quite a bit...

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Nosler is a good bullet n varmints. It unfortunately was to long for the Hornet. With a magazine fed rifle it does limit some of your choices.

I haven't had that problem. Maybe it's different with the hornet? I shoot a Remington R15 VTR in .223 and they shoot great.