.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

ElPollo

WKR
What you said holds true for every rifle. Keep stuff out of the action and the trigger if you want optimal performance and guaranteed function. Don't adjust the trigger down to a hairs breadth of trigger pull, and take care of your gear. I've used Remington 700's and their clones my entire life without issue. Yes, I've read the articles on failures that have happened and those are unfortunate, if not entirely repeatable assuming you're taking care of your equipment. I feel like if they were as huge a deal as they're made out to be there wouldn't be countless manufacturers copying their design and selling tons of them. I've knocked my remingtons and clones around a fair amount trying to simulate the issues I've heard of with nothing happening. It was loaded with a dummy round, with a live primer, and sand instead of powder. That being said I'm not going to fill the action with debris, or ice or anything else to test it. Nor would I try and run it if it got packed full of stuff in the field. I'd clean it out first.
People seems to like R700s enough to get defensive about them or to have had issues and choose not to use them. It’s not up to me to decide which group someone else is in.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
People seems to like R700s enough to get defensive about them or to have had issues and choose not to use them. It’s not up to me to decide which group someone else is in.
I'm not defensive over it. Just haven't had the issues with my rifles. I like how they shoot, and as with all my rifles, I ensure I never point them at anyone or anything I don't want to shoot. If I had an issue during my testing with them I'd sell them off. I've got a custom build on a Gunwerks action in 280AI that has performed great, and not accidentally fired with any of the testing I've done. And now I've got a 223, which admittedly, I haven't tested like that because I didn't have the stuff to load a dummy round for it yet. Were I to have issues, I'd happily send it on its way. But, like I said, no issues yet.

ElPollo

WKR
I'm not defensive over it. Just haven't had the issues with my rifles. I like how they shoot, and as with all my rifles, I ensure I never point them at anyone or anything I don't want to shoot. If I had an issue during my testing with them I'd sell them off. I've got a custom build on a Gunwerks action in 280AI that has performed great, and not accidentally fired with any of the testing I've done. And now I've got a 223, which admittedly, I haven't tested like that because I didn't have the stuff to load a dummy round for it yet. Were I to have issues, I'd happily send it on its way. But, like I said, no issues yet.
Thats fair. We base our decisions off our own experience. My point was only that, if I were choosing a starting point today, it would not be an R700 or a clone. I’ve owned them. My first was in about 1988.

chamois

FNG
Roe deer is to Europe like Whitetail is to the US and here there is also a special appreciation for non typicals, like this that I hunted last weekend using my Blaser K95 single shot in 5,6x50R. Load used was Hornady's 75gr ELDM pushed by 26,0 gr of Varget for 2,906 fps.
IMG_7521.jpg

Shot was taken from 225 yds and the bullet went through the heart. The buck jumped high in the air and left on a death run for 20-25 yds. In the next pictures you can see entry and exit sides in the carcass. IMG_7525.jpgIMG_7524.jpgIMG_7499.jpg

Thegman

WKR
Roe deer is to Europe like Whitetail is to the US and here there is also a special appreciation for non typicals, like this that I hunted last weekend using my Blaser K95 single shot in 5,6x50R. Load used was Hornady's 75gr ELDM pushed by 26,0 gr of Varget for 2,906 fps.
View attachment 703389

Shot was taken from 225 yds and the bullet went through the heart. The buck jumped high in the air and left on a death run for 20-25 yds. In the next pictures you can see entry and exit sides in the carcass. View attachment 703391View attachment 703392View attachment 703390
Is that your tracking dog? What breed is it?

Thegman

WKR
Yes, it is, and he is always with me during my stalking.

He is a Bavarian Mountain Blood Hound, or BGS, acronym for the German name: Bayerische Gebirgs Schweiss Hund (@!#^@#*!@ç!!)
👍Good tracking dogs are incredibly useful. I have an English Shepherd I trained as a puppy to track. I did have one 77TMK'd deer run for 100+ yards in the woods with no blood trail. She found him in less than a minute (then comes back and finds me and takes me to the animal). It's like hunting with Lassie.

IMG_20190901_204048595.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
I think we need a Rokslide tracking dog thread. Then I will follow it daily. I will research the eff out of tracking breeds. I will create a spreadsheet. I will begin the discussion with Mrs fwafwow. I will fail.

You are already a failure if you need to ask her

giphy.gif