.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

skeen

FNG
Yep, I just bought 2 boxes of Black Hills 77grain TMK myself. Formidilosus convinced me to give it a run on a KS whitetail buck this year.

This is always a comical discussion for me to read. My grandparents and great-grandparents did all their hunting with a 32-20 Winchester, which propels a light, cast lead bullet slightly faster than I can throw a rock and it kept the family fed with deer meat.

A close friend used a .223 and 40 vmaxs in conjuction with a depridation permit to remove truck loads of deer. Why? Because that is the chosen round for his varmint rifle, what he has in the truck most of the time, and is wicked accurate. He is very conscientious of humane kills and has plenty of other larger caliber rifles to choose from, but stacks them up with this set-up and doesn't suffer from lost animals. It's effective if man behind the stick is competent.

Simply out of curiosity, has anyone tried the 69 TMK on any sort of larger game? I've used the 69TMK on varmints with great results, nothing larger than a groundhog, and find that they are very accurate out to 600 with less wind drift than the 77smk. My rifle doesn't have a fast enough twist to shoot the 77 TMK well. If the jacket thickness and taper is similar to the 77 TMK...

got 17 wood crates full of 7.62x39

At some point I can explain it to you but can’t understand it for ya.

If you shoot a mule deer or lope or bear with a 77gr tmk or some 180 gr 300 win mag the results will be better with a 77gr tmk. The only tracking is watching it fall to the ground through the scope.

Practice makes perfect. At this point I might just have to tip over a grizz with a 77gr tmk this summer just to get the fudd’s panties twisted up.

Bet you the results will be better the 50% of the grizz that seen shot.. You know hands and knees in alder brush looking for blood. Fun stuff.

The myth a larger caliber is more forgiving of shot placement needs to go away. It’s bullschit.
I guess they don't make the TMK in any other caliber, eh?

You're arguing bullet and I'm telling you that a sample size if one does not a statistically significant study make.

Your arguments are weak on facts and strong on broheim tho.

I guess they don't make the TMK in any other caliber, eh?

You're arguing bullet and I'm telling you that a sample size if one does not a statistically significant study make.

Your arguments are weak on facts and strong on broheim tho.

Sample size of one?

As in one what? One cartridge? One kill?

Critters get one sample of 77gr tmk and the lights go out before they hit the ground. Then I sample some back straps.

One caliber. You keep touting the merits of the 77gr TMK in the .223, but have nothing to offer regarding that same bullet in other calibers. That would be like me saying all anyone needs is a 4x scope because most of the critters I've shot with a rifle were taken with a 4x scope. So why bother with any other scope since that one has been so successful for me. I mean, you can't argue with my success, right? LOL

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe he's stating facts about a specific bullet he's used successfully.

Just because this particular bullet is doing great in this weight and caliber, doesn't mean another weight and different caliber will yield the same results.

For example, I have very much faith in the 6mm 95 grain Nosler BT. Same as the 7mm 120 and 150. On the other hand, I know of a few BTs (different weight and caliber) that I would definately not use on game bigger than coyotes. Same goes for the Vmax and Amax, as well as a couple others.

I guess I'm just trying to see the point of your post....this thread is about .223 for bear deer and elk. People giving info and experiences of a bullet, out of the .223 in question, on the game in question.

Why would it matter about the same bullet in another caliber? And what would that have to do with this discussion?

Last edited:
As a guy who shoots a good bit of 223 and hunts with it occasionally I find this thread prettt interesting and informative. I don’t get that mentality that’s got to keep coming back to say “I still disagree”

Once you’ve notified me that we are in disagreement, I just assume that to be the condition of things until told otherwise. I certainly don’t need periodic reminders or updates on a static situation (this assuming it was even significant enough to take notice of the first time I was informed).

Newt- do you not have a woman somewhere to argue with? They love that shit

Need to fire this thread up every morning with a disclaimer that it’s content doesn’t meet the standards or approval of newt savage and be done with it

Last edited:
Juan, get over yourself. Your post is not related to the topic but rather simply personal in nature.

I have asked specific questions of Ndbowhunter, and Ndbowhunter asked me a question, and I responded. If this discussion bores you, scroll on. You're missing the point of my questions anyway.

Last edited:

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
To you guys who’ve used multiples of both...which do you prefer on game, the TMK or amax/ELD

204guy

WKR
Laughing... Juan you're on a role lately.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sweet now you're the ethics police and a spelling Nazi. Read Juan's post above again. You can't help yourself he's got you nailed to a T.
Not sure why you're so hung up on me friend. You always have the option to keep scrollin'

I'm guessing neither of you are chasing elk with a .223. Feel free to correct me though.

Last edited: