.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

davescarp

WKR
may be ignorant, but are you guys handloading that 77 TMK? I can only see online the black hills 5.56 with the 77gr TMK, didn't think i was supposed to shoot that out of a tikka t3x

sorry if this is a dumb question.. Are there any other factory loads available in 223 rem with that bullet?

edit.... Guess I found these...

Last edited:
OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shot 50 of the Blackhills 77TMK to 627 today out of the Tikka.

Bear season is right around the corner.

it’s silly how good it is.

I wasn’t truly a believer until about a half dozen in.. everything was lights out, instantaneous dirt nap.

I wasn’t sure on a cold South Dakota morning if 500 yards was too far so I passed a doe right at that mark. It would have impacted at 1800 roughly. So it’s not the answer always.

But the 400 rule seems pretty appropriate. Under 400 pounds, under 400 yards it’s always the answer

Fatcamp

WKR

I wasn’t truly a believer until about a half dozen in.. everything was lights out, instantaneous dirt nap.

I wasn’t sure on a cold South Dakota morning if 500 yards was too far so I passed a doe right at that mark. It would have impacted at 1800 roughly. So it’s not the answer always.

But the 400 rule seems pretty appropriate. Under 400 pounds, under 400 yards it’s always the answer

It really is wild. I never would have believed it if such an experienced group hadn't shared this information. I have a stupid accurate .223, just need some time to play with it.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider

I agree with most of the last line. Though I don't know if its always the answer, more of its never a wrong answer.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
When a manufacturer states that a projectile is designed for, tested to, or otherwise suitable for hunting- it closes the ability for some uses.

They’re three general lines of Sierra Matchkings-

The standard SMK. Usually do well in hunting, but can be erratic depending on bullet and lot.

New “Pointed” SMK’s. Same as the regular except that Sierra has already closed the tip for improved BC, I.E.- pointing. Very erratic performance in tissue.

Tipped Matchkings- the subject of this thread. As Ryan said they are similar to, however just a bit deeper penetrating than comparable ELD-M’s.
There is a reason the 77 TMK was developed, and it wasn’t for target shooting, but it had to be classed as such so it wouldn’t upset the pacifists

Ohhh now that makes more sense. Form what turned you onto the tmk so strongly?

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a good chunk of my morning reading this (FNG here on Rokslide). Honestly? Not disappointed. Super interesting stuff. Lots of guys around here use 5.55/.223 here on Hogs (typically in the 50-150 lb range). I‘ll need to grab some TMK/ELD-M.

I’ve been consumed by work a bit, used a 6.8 SPC on one hog earlier this year. It was “OK” considering my shot placement (behind the shoulder...just didn’t lead quite enough). I got immediate blood trail from the 120 SST, hog went roughly 40 yds. Dressed at 110 lbs.

I‘ve got a couple boxes of 208 ELD-M ready for my -06. Assuming I’m back for season this fall/winter, it might be interesting to do some testing of my own.

If y’all haven’t checked out ColdBoreMiracle...worth a look. Typically running “normal” calibers, but also hunting at long range where the .223 gets dicey for drift and such.

Mlank

FNG
Yes indeed.
I read this. Then re read it. And I keep coming back to this thread to read it again. So, I want to double, triple check that:

Amongst all the rds and rds and rds of ammo you shoot; you see tikka t3s churn through an abundance of 5.56 Blackhills 77gr tmk without issue? I have both of the above on order and making sure I’m A okay to go!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I read this. Then re read it. And I keep coming back to this thread to read it again. So, I want to double, triple check that:

Amongst all the rds and rds and rds of ammo you shoot; you see tikka t3s churn through an abundance of 5.56 Blackhills 77gr tmk without issue? I have both of the above on order and making sure I’m A okay to go!

5.56 ammo works just fine from a T3.