.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Lawnboi

WKR
Loading up 77tmks for mule deer as we speak. Going to give it a go because I don’t have much of a choice this year. I trust my 223 in making a shot more than my heavier gun that I don’t want to carry all day.

Hoping I can find a load that will get them going 2800fps, and am going to keep shots 400 and in if it’s not too windy. If it’s like every other 75g Iv put through the gun I’m guessing I’ll land on 24g of varget underneath it.

I should be able to contribute to this thread come mid November. Everyone Iv spoke with thinks I’m nuts taking my 223 on a mule deer hunt. I’m still trying to get over it, but it’s going to happen. Iv never had a gun Iv been so confident in sub 500 yards so it should be fine.

Cody_W

WKR
I’ve killed a half dozen white tails with a 223 from 50-400 yards all drt. Not a recommended caliber for anything over 2-300 yards though. Wouldn’t try it on elk.

Slappy

FNG
I have successfully hunted whitetail with .223 for the past 5 years. All the deer I have taken have been with a 70gr Barnes tsx bullet out of an 11.5” BCM AR Pistol. I have no reason to doubt the round I’m using, however thought I would shoot a few different weighted bullets to see what kind of expansion I’m getting. The results are as followed..

From left to right: 70gr Barnes tsx out of a 20” Noveske, 70gr tsx out of a 11.5” BCM, 62gr ttsx 20”, 62gr ttsx 11.5”, 55gr federal law enforcement soft point 20”, 55gr 11.5”

All bullets were shot through a 1 gallon jug into wet newspaper, at 40 yards.

Barnes 70gr tsx with 24gr Varget
Barnes 62gr ttsx with 25.1gr Varget

Overall I’m not disappointed with the expansion from the little 11.5” BCM. I also think I can load those 62gr a little hotter for more expansion.

Hope you all found this interesting!

BAKPAKR

WKR
I took my 14.5” 5.56, loaded with BH 77 gr TMKs, out after a bear a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, no bear made an appearance. I did not feel undergunned.

Don’t worry, they hammer game even at 1900fps impact.

I’m so hesitant to even change a thing. BH loads then hot, but if ya gotta roll ur own a 50fps drop in velocity is no big deal.

Lawnboi

WKR
Don’t worry, they hammer game even at 1900fps impact.

I’m so hesitant to even change a thing. BH loads then hot, but if ya gotta roll ur own a 50fps drop in velocity is no big deal.

I just picked up and 8lber of xbr to try to squeeze some more velocity out but don’t feel like working up a load again. I’m setting my max at 400 yards anyways so it dosnt matter. My throat is fairly short in the tikka, as of yet I havnt been able to cram enough varget in a 223 case to cause significant pressure.

Going to shoot a 10 round group for zero, bang the 8” steel plate at 400 and continue to practice positional shooting with the 223.

We shall see how it goes in Montana first week of November.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
400 would be my max on elk...the bullet is capable well beyond that on deer if you are.

Im jealous. I wanna use my AR15 in 223/556 for hunting animals I want to eat. Not being able to do it is the only thing I don’t care for in Colorado.

draebi

FNG
Obviously the 77 TMK is very effective on game but is the ELD-M considered a step down in overall consistency or effectiveness? Also any differences noted between 75, 80, and 88 eld-m on game? ELD-Ms are easier to find, higher BC, and a little cheaper to boot so if showing similar performance on game they seem to be the way to go.