.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
62 gr tsx, 300+ yards no problems with expansion. Nothing for scale but exit was about 1.5” dia. Gf shoots .223 significantly better than any of my larger rifles.

Attachments

• 39E31FF9-5ED3-4CE5-9027-26A58D5E236B.jpeg
    39E31FF9-5ED3-4CE5-9027-26A58D5E236B.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 3C1CD565-AD30-4072-9B4A-8FE1C60AEDA7.jpeg
    3C1CD565-AD30-4072-9B4A-8FE1C60AEDA7.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 981797CA-2296-4D30-A1D2-958408478849.jpeg
    981797CA-2296-4D30-A1D2-958408478849.jpeg
    725.9 KB · Views: 319

Rickt300

FNG
I just picked up and 8lber of xbr to try to squeeze some more velocity out but don’t feel like working up a load again. I’m setting my max at 400 yards anyways so it dosnt matter. My throat is fairly short in the tikka, as of yet I havnt been able to cram enough varget in a 223 case to cause significant pressure.

Going to shoot a 10 round group for zero, bang the 8” steel plate at 400 and continue to practice positional shooting with the 223.

We shall see how it goes in Montana first week of November.
I use 26.0 grains of LeverRevolution and get mid 2926 fps under the 75 gr. Hornady HPBT and not much compression.

Rickt300

FNG
You'll note I said "more than fine for my purposes" meaning I don't ever have to shoot that far, typically. I've only been taking the .223 Rem into this thicker spot where the shots are all close quarters. 50yds tops.

Hope you don't run into an issue with weak blood trails, I am taking my bolt 223 out tonight to sneak up on piles of soured corn in the dark for hogs and I will make sure and hit the spine from the shoulder blade out or in the head around the ear. Using the 75 gr. Hornady HPBT. I prefer them laying right where I hit them.

Rickt300

FNG
If the selected cartridge/bullet combination stays together well enough to penetrate the shoulder of the targeted species and also expands and causes enough damage for a clean kill on a rib shot I don't see how the cartridge is causing any extra risk of losing an animal...
well that was a perfect hit, but it did not hit much shoulder, actually the thinnest part of the shoulder. Good harvest and I hope everyone gets hits like that every time, saves a lot of meat not hitting bone with anything you shoot.

Rickt300

FNG
Why don’t you tell us what reason that is? You’ve a lot of faith in legislators and conservation officials to understand bullet dynamics. Interesting take, but elaborate.

I’m sadly convinced some “experienced” hunters read “magnum” on the box of “shells” on the shelf and automatically assume it’s better than a 223 with the correct bullets. I’d take a 77tmk @ 2750 outta my AR for moose, over some of the factory “‘06” on the shelf at your wal mart. It’s not magic, bud. No matter what Outdoor Life says.
There are a considerable number of cartridges that will outperform the 223 under many circumstances that are not magnums. And they don't kick much either.

davsco

WKR
i think we owe it to our animals to take them with the most humanity. while i'm sure every animal on earth has been taken with a measly .22LR, clearly a .223 isn't close to the best choice for deer, bear or elk. and the way better choices come in calibers and guns that aren't overly expensive nor hard to find, so no excuse not to use 308 on up for these animals.

i shot two elk yesterday with 300wsm 180g fed tbt's and neither bang flopped. the one was a perfect shot (i think the other one was also but didn't see the entry point, nor did i get to examine the bullets). neither ran far but still... and btw, this light tikka t3x lite rifle, now that i added a muzzle brake, is a pussycat recoil-wise, seriously.

if all you have is a .223, then treat yourself to a new gun in a heavier caliber! plus given that little to no .223 ammo is on the shelves now, that's a great excuse to size up.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
*snipped quote*
clearly a .223 isn't close to the best choice for deer
Set your feelers aside. How is it “clear,” factually?

PS: “bang flops” occur with CNS damage. You obviously knew that since you’re dispensing facts here. Pointing to the bullet and/or cartridge for failing to produce your “bang flop” is hilariously ironic in the context of this thread. Congratulations on the elk.

davsco

WKR
no feelers here. energy and bullet diameter are way bigger/better with 308, 30-06, 300mags vs .223. i'm trying to understand why anyone would want to use a .223, other than recoil, but a brake does wonders on 308 etc. i said that a 22LR has prob killed every animal on earth, why aren't we saying to use a rimfire, but that would be silly, right, when there are much better choices.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
no feelers here. energy and bullet diameter are way bigger/better with 308, 30-06, 300mags vs .223. i'm trying to understand why anyone would want to use a .223, other than recoil, but a brake does wonders on 308 etc. i said that a 22LR has prob killed every animal on earth, why aren't we saying to use a rimfire, but that would be silly, right, when there are much better choices.
Wound channels. I really encourage you to read the thread in which you’re posting.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have a 6.5 CM with a Terminator brake that is as soft or softer shooting than my daughter's 16.5" .223 with no brake. That brake is MUCH more obnoxious to shoot even with double ear protection. I have zero doubt that she would be very averse to much shooting with that 6.5, let alone my '06, 7mmRM or my braked 300WM.

The .223 is perfect for her. (10 years old, petite) 2 weeks ago she made a less than perfect shot with a 73gr OTM on a big bodied mule deer at 190 yards.

She hit him a little low and a little far back but that deer took about 5 steps and laid down. He was having a BAD time. We got set up and she hit him again - game over. First time deer hunter, first deer, FIRED UP!! And with a rifle she doesn't have to be afraid of. I've personally made equally poor hits on game with much "bigger/better" cartridges that resulted in more drama than that.

If not for this thread and all of the contributions and experiences shared, I too, would have regarded the .223 as too light for big game.

I finally got my hands on some TMK ammo. Chrono'd it this morning and got it dialed for this short barreled rifle. I have a handful of tags I hope to fill in the next few months and I promise you that some of them will be with that .223.

It's a mean little cartridge.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
It always surprises me when I read threads such as this one and it becomes apparent at the widespread lack of knowledge when it comes to bullet construction and terminal effects on game.
I use a couple of different bullets in a few different rifles based on what I expect to see as far as animal presentations and terminal ballistics.
223AI with 75 Amax for whitetails (and muleys in a few places)
243AI with 105 Amax if I am hunting open country muleys and really need to reach out.
280AI with 150 TTSX for sheep/bou/moose/elk in case I have an awkward presentation angle and need to bore a long hole straight through heavy bones to get where it needs to every time...

The kids get a vanilla 223 with 50/55 ttsx/gmx/tsx’s for deer and black bears so they can break bones.
Stuffed with a good bullet a 223 is a formidable killer on deer sized game. Big holes bored through a shoulder and into vitals kills stuff in short order, I don’t care if it comes from a 223 or a 7/08 or a 30/06.

The moose I shot earlier this year I would have passed on the shot with a 223 as he was running into the timber, but the 280AI/150 TTSX was ideal to break his shoulder and fold him up inside 15 yards. The elk I shot 2 weeks ago would have been just as dead at 150 yards with a 75 Amax punched through both lungs.

One aspect I HAVE noticed when experienced hunters try my 223AI on deer is that invariably they make a great shot right off the bat and they say “I shot him VERY carefully, exactly where you said”. These same guys I have seen shoot in the general direction of a deer with various flavours of 7 and 300 mags.

Everyone shoots a light recoiling rifle better and MORE than they shoot a big boomer.

Lawnboi

WKR
ECA188E8-C4CB-4983-9966-66277F48D452.jpeg
5 for 5 this morning, including cold bore @400, for the final range session before I leave for Montana. Hopefully I’ll have some pictures in a couple weeks.

The 77tmk flies great out of my stock tikka. I can honestly say I’m more confident in this load and rifle than anything I have ever shot when it comes to placement, even past what I will let one go at a deer. Easy to shoot and learn the gun when I can reload ammo for this thing for 40 cents a round.

Rickt300

FNG
But you could say the same thing about many cartridges, 6.5 Creed a vastly superior cartridge over the 223. My 260 Remington for instance is low recoil and deadly accurate. I mean if I were looking for a deer round I would have many low recoil and very accurate rifles that have more flexibility.

But you could say the same thing about many cartridges, 6.5 Creed a vastly superior cartridge over the 223. My 260 Remington for instance is low recoil and deadly accurate. I mean if I were looking for a deer round I would have many low recoil and very accurate rifles that have more flexibility.
You have to quantify “vastly superior”. If you haven’t noticed over 22 pages, this thread is about empirical evidence. We don’t care what you have to say. We don’t care about anecdotes. We welcome being proven wrong, but the burden is on you. Bring evidence.

Rickt300

FNG
You have to quantify “vastly superior”. If you haven’t noticed over 22 pages, this thread is about empirical evidence. We don’t care what you have to say. We don’t care about anecdotes. We welcome being proven wrong, but the burden is on you. Bring evidence.
Empiracal evidence that a .224 75 grain bullet when placed in the center of the chest is deadly! A bullet that comes apart at a fast rate, Sure I coulda tole you that and say the same thing for the Hornady 55 caliber Hornady SP but no I do not consider the 223 an all around deer rifle.

Empiracal evidence that a .224 75 grain bullet when placed in the center of the chest is deadly! A bullet that comes apart at a fast rate, Sure I coulda tole you that and say the same thing for the Hornady 55 caliber Hornady SP but no I do not consider the 223 an all around deer rifle.

Then don’t use it.