.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Was considering a Harvester for it's price...ended up going with a Nomad Ti. Have you shot that one?

I'll be using it on my .223 for yotes and cats, I imagine the suppression amount is less with a smaller diameter projectile through a .30 cal can.

I have, but other than it being fine I don’t remember anything noteworthy.

And no, the more is no noticeable difference using a .224 in a 30ca can.

280Ackley

WKR
Any recommendations on an AR 223 barrel manufacturer? Needing to upgrade mine to a 1:8 twist and I’d like a 18”.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
This is one that comes very close to what you are looking for. https://www.silencershop.com/catalo...ategory/1/id/6172/s/silencerco-harvester-evo/

As Form stated, it is a fine can. It is good for what it is for, which is bench work or hunting. I have one of the original Harvesters and it works very well on my hunting rifles.

For you tikka 223 guys... what is the best/favorite budget suppressor to dedicate to your 223/tikka/6xswfa combo? Anything Under 10oz, less than 8 inches long, and under $600?

Just wanted to add another vote for the harvester evo. It’s my first can and I chose it for the affordable cost, light weight and the fact it was available through a local vendor I trusted.

I’ve fired about 750 rounds of .223 through mine using my own rokslide special cut down to 20” and overall I’ve been very pleased with it. I feel like it is hearing safe for at least 5 consecutive shots (the most I’ve tested) and likely much more than that.

I also appreciate that you get both 1/2 x 28 and 5/8 x 24 bravo direct thread mounts with the can. Additionally, you can purchase a 9/16 x 32 bravo direct thread mount from SilencerCo, which seems to be the most common thread size used to thread the Tikka lite and superlite barrels.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Any recommendations on an AR 223 barrel manufacturer? Needing to upgrade mine to a 1:8 twist and I’d like a 18”.

If you can find a 3r ARP, I highly recommend. I bought a second when Harrison decided to hang it up. You might be able to snag one from him provided he hasn't sold the remaining stock

I Google it... and came up with a wyoming arms 4 squared and 5 squared ti suppressor, 4 and 5 oz respectively. Fits the bill price wise... just don't know how they would do on actual suppression. I read they claim to reduce 20db on a 300win. Anyone tried one on a 223? Anything else comparable?
Wyoming Arms, John Squirms, definitely no

cod0396

FNG
Criterion Core or Hybrid. Former if you prefer a nicer (better handling) barrel profile, latter if you want the best precision. They are both extremely well gassed too.

gman82001

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to add another vote for the harvester evo. It’s my first can and I chose it for the affordable cost, light weight and the fact it was available through a local vendor I trusted.

I’ve fired about 750 rounds of .223 through mine using my own rokslide special cut down to 20” and overall I’ve been very pleased with it. I feel like it is hearing safe for at least 5 consecutive shots (the most I’ve tested) and likely much more than that.

I also appreciate that you get both 1/2 x 28 and 5/8 x 24 bravo direct thread mounts with the can. Additionally, you can purchase a 9/16 x 32 bravo direct thread mount from SilencerCo, which seems to be the most common thread size used to thread the Tikka lite and superlite barrels.
Glad to hear this because I just ordered one a couple weeks ago. Planning to use it mainly on bolt guns for hunting

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity... is it possible to use 88 eld-m out of a plain 223? I seem to recall reading somewhere in this thread that the 73 and 75 grainers can be splashy up close, and seeing as I don't generally shoot too far away I'm looking for multiple options as reloading supplies here in Canada have been pretty spotty. I have one box of 77 tmk's that I plan on hoarding for hunting but always on the lookout for other options. Thanks.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity... is it possible to use 88 eld-m out of a plain 223? I seem to recall reading somewhere in this thread that the 73 and 75 grainers can be splashy up close, and seeing as I don't generally shoot too far away I'm looking for multiple options as reloading supplies here in Canada have been pretty spotty. I have one box of 77 tmk's that I plan on hoarding for hunting but always on the lookout for other options. Thanks.
Yes, it’s possible - if your mag box has room and your barrel’s twist will stabilize them.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
He'd have to load them extremely deep into the case for them to feed from a magazine. I'd be hesitant to do that, but thats just me.
Depends on the magazine. Example: no problem with 88’s out of my standard 223 chambered Montana (Shaen massaged the mag box to feed 88’s loaded to shoulder/boat tail junction and threaded a 1:7” twist Rock barrel). He asked if it was possible and my answer is accurate.

Antares

WKR
Well, I did what I threatened to do back in post #2,112; just finished putting together a "Rockslide Special."

Karl at Kampfeld Customs cut the barrel to 18" and threaded it. Check out the close-ups of his work. I can't believe how tidy the blending is from the barrel to the adapter (1/2-28 to 5/8-24). He such a good guy to work with. I couldn't be happier.

The pics show the rifle mocked up/dry fit. I still need to install a 1/2" LOP spacers, attach the comb risers, then degrease, clean, and torque everything. Looking forward to getting it zeroed and shooting some drills. I got 7 cases of Hornady Frontier 68gr BTHP Match to feed this rifle, so hopefully it shoots them halfway well.

Attachments

• IMG_7651.jpg
    IMG_7651.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_7646.jpg
    IMG_7646.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_7647.jpg
    IMG_7647.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7648.jpg
    IMG_7648.jpg