.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

rlmmarine

WKR
I bet you are wearing a mask as you type this 😂
Sorry masks arent my style. I dont wear one. But this topic seams alot like people driving smart cars. It gets the job done and doesnt have the bad gas mileage. Ill take my f350 and my 30cal. And not worry about the stars all lining up correctly to make it happen. With the right shot placement we could all be using 22lr aswell. But what do i know ill continue to put diesel in the truck and let you explain to me how electric or the 223 gets it done aswell.

rlmmarine

WKR
If the selected cartridge/bullet combination stays together well enough to penetrate the shoulder of the targeted species and also expands and causes enough damage for a clean kill on a rib shot I don't see how the cartridge is causing any extra risk of losing an animal...
Key words their were ( if )and (and) why not take something with alittle more power and not have to worry about it. There is a reason alot of states use 24 as their minimum. Im still teying to stay open mineded about this but im just not convinced.
A also am sadly convinced some novice hunter is going to read this and take his ar in for a moose because he ready that its a good hunting cartridge.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
There is a reason alot of states use 24 as their minimum. Im still teying to stay open mineded about this but im just not convinced.
A also am sadly convinced some novice hunter is going to read this and take his ar in for a moose because he ready that its a good hunting cartridge.
Why don’t you tell us what reason that is? You’ve a lot of faith in legislators and conservation officials to understand bullet dynamics. Interesting take, but elaborate.

I’m sadly convinced some “experienced” hunters read “magnum” on the box of “shells” on the shelf and automatically assume it’s better than a 223 with the correct bullets. I’d take a 77tmk @ 2750 outta my AR for moose, over some of the factory “‘06” on the shelf at your wal mart. It’s not magic, bud. No matter what Outdoor Life says.

cod0396

FNG
Key words their were ( if )and (and) why not take something with alittle more power and not have to worry about it. There is a reason alot of states use 24 as their minimum. Im still teying to stay open mineded about this but im just not convinced.

if by many states you mean 10/50 states, sure. But the others (that allow rifle hunting) are just fine with .223. And the reason those states don’t let you use a .223 on deer is outdated laws that are a reaction to idiots wounding deer with .223 FMJ, shallowly penetrating varmint rounds, or some other bad bullet type for medium game. Also a general lack of understanding of terminal ballistics. The .223 in 2020 is simply a different beast than it was 30, 20, or even 10 years ago. Idk how you can look at 20 pages of 77gr TMK testimonials and think that the round is anything other than devastating, when you probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between it and a .308 softpoint in terms of effectiveness. It’s good that you’re trying to keep an open mind, but there is so much proof here and in other threads that .223 can humanely take medium and even some large game with the right bullet.

Idk how you can look at 20 pages of 77gr TMK testimonials and think that the round is anything other than devastating

Why bother? You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. You're arguing with someone that dished out a mask insult as the most savage burn they could think of. Let's just keep the thread to more examples. We're in the thick of hunting season, this thread should be popping with good info, not arguments. We can argue again after the season.

cod0396

FNG
Why bother? You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. You're arguing with someone that dished out a mask insult as the most savage burn they could think of. Let's just keep the thread to more examples. We're in the thick of hunting season, this thread should be popping with good info, not arguments. We can argue again after the season.
I agree on all points(y)

Lawnboi

WKR
Got some more data on my 77tmk load today. 5 shot zero confirmation went .7moa, 2748fps average. 4/5 in a 3/4” dot.

Went right out to my max for the bullet, 400 yards and proceeded to hit an 8 inch plate 8/9 times, 15mph swirly winds, I’ll take it. I may not have a lot of confidence yet in the 223 at that range as far as terminal performance, however Iv never been more confident in a hunting gun. Over 600 rounds since last winter started with the nightforce shv, havnt needed to adjust zero more than a half minute left or right depending on load.

At 400yds I’m a nut hair under 2k FPS.

I have 20 days off in November and 2 mule deer tags.... I should be adding to the thread here soon

Fatcamp

WKR
Got some more data on my 77tmk load today. 5 shot zero confirmation went .7moa, 2748fps average. 4/5 in a 3/4” dot.

Went right out to my max for the bullet, 400 yards and proceeded to hit an 8 inch plate 8/9 times, 15mph swirly winds, I’ll take it. I may not have a lot of confidence yet in the 223 at that range as far as terminal performance, however Iv never been more confident in a hunting gun. Over 600 rounds since last winter started with the nightforce shv, havnt needed to adjust zero more than a half minute left or right depending on load.

At 400yds I’m a nut hair under 2k FPS.

I have 20 days off in November and 2 mule deer tags.... I should be adding to the thread here soon

What tags?

CorbLand

WKR
Read through the first half of this thread but haven't through the second half...anyone had luck with an elk yet?

amassi

WKR
Read through the first half of this thread but haven't through the second half...anyone had luck with an elk yet?
Post 386 mentions it's an adequate moose cartridge so elk should be a cakewalk

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

11Justin22

Lil-Rokslider
Add another curious mind to 69 grain. I've got a howa that will put hornady 68gr bthp into a dime size hole

ericwh

WKR
FWIW I shot some groundhogs from 100 to 200 yards with a Hornady 75gr BTHP and it literally blew their guts out the back side. Much more gruesome than the 55gr v-max.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a muley buck at 420 yds with unknown munitions 77 tmk out of my tikka. Broadside double lung, bullet made it through both rib cages but not out of offside hide. Wound through lungs I would say looked comparable to standard 06 or 308 sort of damage. I knew I was getting to the outside of velocity window at that yardage but all in all pleased with performance. I will not hesitate to use it again.