.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Shraggs

WKR
So after reading this thread and becoming educated on the killing power of the 223 and the 77gr TMK, I have a question. Not picking a side or looking for an argument (there's already 20 pages of that). If you had saved for years to hunt true record book elk on the White Mountain Apache Reservation would you take a 223 and use the 77 gr TMK?
Respectfully, seems this missed the point of what we observed... the tissue damage was overtly devastating.

if shots were expected to be well inside of 400 yards,
Wind forecast was manageable,
And the lower recoil gave you better confidence than your bigger caliber,

then I would think this choice stacks in favor and gives an advantage.

I would take two rifles, and choose caliber daily based on conditions.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Personally, there would be no hesitation on my part using the .223 and a 77TMK on any animal inside of its terminal performance capabilities.

Yes, any animal....

fshaw

WKR
Today I guided a brook trout fishing trip in the Adirondacks of NY into a remote pond. At the beginning of the day the client, from an urban area, was asking about how many and how big. I told him we could do one of two different types of trips, his choice. We could go out to slaughter as many fish as possible, or we could have a day in the forest and have fun. We’d go to different places to achieve the two different goals. We went back in and caught a bunch of fish, none very large and they had a great day.

If I was out to slaughter an elk , or a buck, or whatever no matter what, I’d probably bring a 30 magnum something. If I wanted to try to get amongst them I just might bring the 77gr TMK and be selective. Depends what you’re trying to achieve. Full disclosure, I’m a 64 yr old hunting and fishing guide who has taken my share of game and some. Getting amongst them, right there amongst them, is more important to me now than killing another head to go on the wall. Probably sounds like BS but that’s OK.

Good luck to you whatever you choose. Catch a big one regardless of your quarry.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So after reading this thread and becoming educated on the killing power of the 223 and the 77gr TMK, I have a question. Not picking a side or looking for an argument (there's already 20 pages of that). If you had saved for years to hunt true record book elk on the White Mountain Apache Reservation would you take a 223 and use the 77 gr TMK?

If I was a 450’ish yard hunter, I wouldn’t use anything but the 223/77gr TMK.

Bcleck90

WKR
If I was a 450’ish yard hunter, I wouldn’t use anything but the 223/77gr TMK.

@Formidilosus I know you prefer the 77gr TMK from your posts. Would you consider the other choices you’ve mentioned- Gold Dots, AMAX, etc to be good choice also to 450ish yards? I’ve been shooting 75 grain gold dots and just curious on what you feel would be the max range for that compared to the 77 grain TMK.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus I know you prefer the 77gr TMK from your posts. Would you consider the other choices you’ve mentioned- Gold Dots, AMAX, etc to be good choice also to 450ish yards? I’ve been shooting 75 grain gold dots and just curious on what you feel would be the max range for that compared to the 77 grain TMK.

Yes. The BC of Gild Dot hurts it in wind drift a bit, but it’s good. The Amax is good as well.

Juan_ID

WKR
Can someone tell Hornady to make a .224 78g eldx.

I went out and gave my old 75 eldm load a go now that I got the barrel chopped and have an extra 8oz hanging off the end. A load that went 1.5moa average before now makes a 2.5” group at 400. View attachment 293816
I’d rather they not at the moment, I just bought 1200 of the 75 eldm’s in preparation for when I’m able to find a tikka… 🥲

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d rather they not at the moment, I just bought 1200 of the 75 eldm’s in preparation for when I’m able to find a tikka… 🥲

Good call on stocking up. They have historicallyatleast the last few yearsbeen a tough bullet to find.

Next best purchase you can make for the coming rifle imo is a ~5” suppressor.

Good luck finding one, I’d call any scheels that’s within a distance your willing to travel to

Juan_ID

WKR
Good call on stocking up. They have historicallyatleast the last few yearsbeen a tough bullet to find.

Next best purchase you can make for the coming rifle imo is a ~5” suppressor.

Good luck finding one, I’d call any scheels that’s within a distance your willing to travel to
There’s a local store that seemed to have a fairly nice stock of them recently. What suppressor is that you are running on your rifle? And thanks, one will come around soon enough…. I hope!

Lawnboi

WKR
There’s a local store that seemed to have a fairly nice stock of them recently. What suppressor is that you are running on your rifle? And thanks, one will come around soon enough…. I hope!
It’s a Griffin optimus micro. It’s kind of a double duty rimfire/223 rem can for me. It’s pretty small, which is what I wanted. I was surprised though at how much it cuts the noise. Barrel chopped to 20” makes it manageable. It’s 1/2x 28 threaded and I’m running it direct thread. This can with spending more on a taper mount can handle up to 22-250