.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
They’re all mag length. That’s what they were designed for.
I’ve just seen a few remarks that some are loading long, anyhow I’d really like to get my hands on some dang tmk’s. I found some factory loaded tmk’s that I’m debating on but doubt it’s anywhere near as fast as the black hills and others.

Lawnboi

WKR
Those of you that reload the tmk’s are you needing to load them long like the eldm’s or can you go stock mag length and get decent accuracy/velocity?
I’m loading long, .020 off the lands. That’s where I started and never had to mess with seating depth.

Fatcamp

WKR
I’ve just seen a few remarks that some are loading long, anyhow I’d really like to get my hands on some dang tmk’s. I found some factory loaded tmk’s that I’m debating on but doubt it’s anywhere near as fast as the black hills and others.
I have some TMK's I will sell you. No way I will set up .223 this year

Lawnboi

WKR
Pm sent

Only reason I’d like them mag length is so I could buy a couple extra factory tikka mags and not have to go aftermarket.
Give it a go and see what happens. My only thought on mag length is if you’re using varget your going to have some serious crunch to make 2750 FPS. Grab a long drop tube funnel to help settle the powder.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Give it a go and see what happens. My only thought on mag length is if you’re using varget your going to have some serious crunch to make 2750 FPS. Grab a long drop tube funnel to help settle the powder.
I am currently using Varget but also have some H4895 that I’ve read is good with the heavier projectiles. I did a pressure test with it but shot like garbage when I was testing a few loads. Went back to Varget and just loaded a handful of the charge that shot best for now.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is anyone loading 77tmk with xbr and getting what they got or more than with varget? I have 8lbs of xbr I havnt messed with much yet. Don’t know if it’s worth trying to fix what ain’t broken for an extra hundred FPS.

Lawnboi

WKR
Been a while since I loaded 223. Since Sierra isn’t making enough tmk I had to find another option for shooting steel. So I went back to 75 eldm. A few of my older eldm loads shot better suppressed, so I loaded up some more. At 400 yards they shot pretty well.

When the 77tmk become available again I’m going to buy a barrels worth.

Also ended up with 100 rounds of Lapua 223 55grain fmj off midway for 21 bucks a box. Going to burn them up and use the brass specifically for my tmk load, and continue to use Hornady for steel/prairie dog ammo.F4B28035-8083-4F8A-9666-E2E66FA14F9C.jpeg

Attachments

• 42CFAFAB-E64E-4EB7-896F-61226A0B8360.jpeg
    42CFAFAB-E64E-4EB7-896F-61226A0B8360.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Really tempted to get down this rabbit hole. Is $750 a fair price for T3X Lite stainless in .223?

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Really tempted to get down this rabbit hole. Is $750 a fair price for T3X Lite stainless in .223?
I bought mine for $799 about a month ago. I couldn’t seem to find one anywhere after looking for a little while, so when I did I jumped on it.

Sandstrom

WKR
I bought mine for $749.00 about 6 months ago as it was the only one I could find. Literally a week later I found another one for $649.00.... I have not seen another one on a shelf since. It is definitely in the range of what they are going for, if you are ok with the price go for it!
Ryan

Those of you that reload the tmk’s are you needing to load them long like the eldm’s or can you go stock mag length and get decent accuracy/velocity?

The nose of the 75 ELD is quite a bit longer than the 77 TMK. That is by design so TMK could be loaded at mag length without ogive being in the neck.

Like @Lawnboi stated, i just dont like loading TMK over varget at mag length because of how compressed it is. That said, 77 TMK with varget @ 2.295" in ASC AR mags has been my standard AR load for a while but it just kind of sucks compressing it that much. Something like XBR or TAC would do better as far as case fill.

XBR didn't shoot as tight as varget in my tikka. H4895 seems a little closer and I might try to settle with that to have a little less compressed charge.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
The nose of the 75 ELD is quite a bit longer than the 77 TMK. That is by design so TMK could be loaded at mag length without ogive being in the neck.

Like @Lawnboi stated, i just dont like loading TMK over varget at mag length because of how compressed it is. That said, 77 TMK with varget @ 2.295" in ASC AR mags has been my standard AR load for a while but it just kind of sucks compressing it that much. Something like XBR or TAC would do better as far as case fill.

XBR didn't shoot as tight as varget in my tikka. H4895 seems a little closer and I might try to settle with that to have a little less compressed charge.
Noted, I do have 5lbs of H4895 that I’d intended on using with the eldm. Hoping to find some more tmk’s to try with it now. Just out of curiosity what is the problem with the compression?

Noted, I do have 5lbs of H4895 that I’d intended on using with the eldm. Hoping to find some more tmk’s to try with it now. Just out of curiosity what is the problem with the compression?

My main reasons for disliking it is you are more prone to deform bullets in the seating stem and it can result in inconsistent seating depths and case grip on the bullet. Those impacts seemed negligible on performance in my AR but I also took steps to minimize compression.

There are things you can do to help like using drop tubes, vibrating cases, and seating until first crunch and then turning the bullet upside down so powder drops around the sides of bullet before seating to final depth. I'd rather do none of the above if possible. I end up using a drop tube anyway most of the time.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
My main reasons for disliking it is you are more prone to deform bullets in the seating stem and it can result in inconsistent seating depths and case grip on the bullet. Those impacts seemed negligible on performance in my AR but I also took steps to minimize compression.

There are things you can do to help like using drop tubes, vibrating cases, and seating until first crunch and then turning the bullet upside down so powder drops around the sides of bullet before seating to final depth. I'd rather do none of the above if possible. I end up using a drop tube anyway most of the time.
That makes sense, I worked up fairly high with Varget, all bto measurements were close enough that I think any variance was most likely in the bullet itself. I would not mind getting a drop tube to see if that’d help once I start loading tmk’s

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Turns out midsouthshootersupply had 100ct boxes of the tmk in stock last Friday and I missed it.

FLS

WKR
Been a while since I loaded 223. Since Sierra isn’t making enough tmk I had to find another option for shooting steel. So I went back to 75 eldm. A few of my older eldm loads shot better suppressed, so I loaded up some more. At 400 yards they shot pretty well.

When the 77tmk become available again I’m going to buy a barrels worth.

Also ended up with 100 rounds of Lapua 223 55grain fmj off midway for 21 bucks a box. Going to burn them up and use the brass specifically for my tmk load, and continue to use Hornady for steel/prairie dog ammo.View attachment 302090
I use 8208 and TAC with 77 SMKs and TMKs out of a 18” 1-8 twist AR I’m shooting in some local matches. 24.5 grains of TAC or 23.4 grains of 8208 in LC brass lit by a BR4 loaded gets me 2750 with either bullet. The SMKs actually shoot a little better out of my rifle. You should be able to easily get to the speeds you desire in a bolt gun with either powder without compressing the loads.