.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

LimeSpoon

FNG
I don't have a .223 but I enjoy following this thread. I find it pretty amusing that after all of these pictures of animals with gaping wounds, you still get posts like the above.

No data, no evidence. Just a statement that it's a bad idea and doesn't work.

PNWGATOR posted his wife's moose and it looked pretty dead. All those deer? Dead. All of the actual evidence presented here shows these bullets to be terminally effective in a major way. Yet, there is no shortage of people claiming otherwise with no backup.
in my experieints...it is very comon for deer and moose to play dead. even with 4 inch holes in there body. once i hit a deer with 20mm DU penetrator APIFSDS. after a 120 yard run i thought the lihtes had left him...dressed and preped him to cook. later at dinner i got the worst hernea of my life when he woke up and sprinted out of my ass. anyways my point is leave the varmit rounds for varmits. light match bullets like those dont have enugh energy and will blow up on the ribcage. or they will pencil through and leave the deer colecting disability benifits for the rest of its life wasting my taxes. you dont have to believe me but i have 60 years of hunting experieints and kno what ive seen and what im comfertable with...so...take it or leave it. just dont come crying when you lose some game ;)

I don't have a .223 but I enjoy following this thread. I find it pretty amusing that after all of these pictures of animals with gaping wounds, you still get posts like the above.

No data, no evidence. Just a statement that it's a bad idea and doesn't work.

PNWGATOR posted his wife's moose and it looked pretty dead. All those deer? Dead. All of the actual evidence presented here shows these bullets to be terminally effective in a major way. Yet, there is no shortage of people claiming otherwise with no backup.

This thread is also a perfect thread for people doing what the guy above you is doing. Very short “sentences” to increase post count on a new account.

in my experieints...it is very comon for deer and moose to play dead. even with 4 inch holes in there body. once i hit a deer with 20mm DU penetrator APIFSDS. after a 120 yard run i thought the lihtes had left him...dressed and preped him to cook. later at dinner i got the worst hernea of my life when he woke up and sprinted out of my ass. anyways my point is leave the varmit rounds for varmits. light match bullets like those dont have enugh energy and will blow up on the ribcage. or they will pencil through and leave the deer colecting disability benifits for the rest of its life wasting my taxes. you dont have to believe me but i have 60 years of hunting experieints and kno what ive seen and what im comfertable with...so...take it or leave it. just dont come crying when you lose some game ;)
We caught another one boys

Shraggs

WKR
Spelling and grammar in those 60 years too?

LimeSpoon

FNG
You lose the right to tell me about your experiments or experience when you say experieints.
yup...another youngster dowting my wisdom...u should have more respect for ur elders kid...still have rectal prolaps from that deer that woke up. and than when i went to the office for my intestinal disability benifits guess what i saw in their...lots of deer hit with MATCH BULLETS! so i know im right. and arguing with those federal aid workers was something id never wish on any deer...talk about a slow and painful death LOL!!!

@mods let me know if this is filling the thread with too much trash at this point, I didn't expect that first post to get such a followup.

I thought that was the edujumacated word for hold my beer watch this.

u must be another one of those kids that says 20mm APFSDS is too much. well let me tell u a real man drinks wisky and ive never heard of anyone who wanted less penitration when they took the shot. i hear all the time, use high explosiff in 20mm instead...well guess what, if the deer is turned at an angull, that aint gonna work!!! lol...broadside shots only with HEI. no thanks. and besides, wastes too much MEAT!!!

Last edited:
yup...another youngster dowting my wisdom...u should have more respect for ur elders kid...still have rectal prolaps from that deer that woke up. and then when i went to the office for my intestinal disability benifits guess what i saw in their...lots of deer hit with MATCH BULLETS! so i know im right. and arguing with those federal aid workers was something id never wish on any deer...talk about a slow and painful death LOL!!!

@mods let me know if this is filling the thread with too much trash at this point, I didn't expect that first post to get such a followup.

u must be another one of those kids that says 20mm APFSDS is too much. well let me tell u a real man drinks wisky and ive never heard of anyone who wanted less penitration when they took the shot. i hear all the time, use high explosiff in 20mm instead...well guess what, if the deer is turned at an angull, that aint gonna work!!! lol...broadside shots only with HEI. no thanks. and besides, wastes too much MEAT!!!

Naw, real men have beer for breakfast.

That liquor just dehydrates you. My latte's are Bush.

“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
.223 kills a lot of whitetails

bsnedeker

WKR
yup...another youngster dowting my wisdom...u should have more respect for ur elders kid...still have rectal prolaps from that deer that woke up. and then when i went to the office for my intestinal disability benifits guess what i saw in their...lots of deer hit with MATCH BULLETS! so i know im right. and arguing with those federal aid workers was something id never wish on any deer...talk about a slow and painful death LOL!!!

Sorry for going off topic, but what are your thoughts on those Dukes of Hazzard exploding broadheads for archery? They are the only heads I use if I'm shooting a frontal.

woods89

WKR
This was good for a laugh over breakfast this morning.........

davsco

WKR
skipped to the end (mostly). are match HP's in .223 a decent choice for whitetail deer (eg 69g sierra match kings or related hollow points)? or stick with pure hunting bullets?

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
skipped to the end (mostly). are match HP's in .223 a decent choice for whitetail deer (eg 69g sierra match kings or related hollow points)? or stick with pure hunting bullets?
HP’s have inconsistent expansion, much better to stick to a tipped match bullet (eg 77g sierra tipped match king). That particular bullet is an emphatic killer (more so than a pure hunting bullet), evidenced by the pictures throughout the thread