.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Great thread. Thanks for all the data, experiences and photos.

What are the best lead free alternatives to the 77 TMK for those who must go that route?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Great thread. Thanks for all the data, experiences and photos.

What are the best lead free alternatives to the 77 TMK for those who must go that route?

There aren’t any.

DRT ammo maybe, or PVA Cayuga 77gr. Neither will do what the TMK does. Monos suck for killing.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Picking up a Ruger American Predator .223 and some 77gr TMKs this week. I can't wait to throw my suppressor on it and give it a whirl! Lots of doe tags this fall.

TheGDog

WKR
Finally got my hands on some Hornady Match dies for my TMKs. Any pet loads out there? I am running out of my black hills factories. Will be shot out of my hobbit inspired TC build. 20" barrel 1:7 twist.
Zl8tFSX.jpg
Sooo Digging This Minimalist concept here! keeping the weight down and easily packable. And 20" barrel is plenty good enough for most every cartridge to hit velocities needed in most situations.

Finally got my hands on some Hornady Match dies for my TMKs. Any pet loads out there? I am running out of my black hills factories. Will be shot out of my hobbit inspired TC build. 20" barrel 1:7 twist.
Zl8tFSX.jpg
Sorry I meant to quote this one

260madman

WKR
Anybody been successful with the 77s in a 9 twist? My ARs are 8s and 7s but my bolt guns are 9s. I need to remedy that situation.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anybody been successful with the 77s in a 9 twist? My ARs are 8s and 7s but my bolt guns are 9s. I need to remedy that situation.

There have been a couple in this thread that have gotten them o work in a 9”. You’re beyond the edge of stability, and if it is stable enough to group you are definitely losing some BC. Having said that, I would still choose it if it’ll stabilize.

260madman

WKR
There have been a couple in this thread that have gotten them o work in a 9”. You’re beyond the edge of stability, and if it is stable enough to group you are definitely losing some BC. Having said that, I would still choose it if it’ll stabilize.
I have a Varmint Salvage that actually measures at 8 5/8“ when using the cleaning rod method to measure but I don’t want to carry that pig. It stacks 75 Amax. I’d rather use my stainless Ruger Hawkeye though. Guess I can measure it also just for grins and then load some up. My problem is I have too many options when it comes to guns.

Off to the toy room I go.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
You all talked me into the 223 Tikka. Typical additions. MT trigger spring, vertical grip, sportsmatch rings, and a Zeiss conquest scope. Just need the 77gr tmk ammo now. Wish me luck with that!
PXL_20210909_161706831~2.jpg

Last edited:

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsman's warehouse. Ordered online to ship to store. I found it in stock a couple of different times in like a week. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not, but I'd check that site regularly.

Lawnboi

WKR
Finally shot an xbr ladder. 23.6 got me to 2800fps in my 20”. Now time to see if accuracy is there. 24.2 of varget is about as compressed as I’d like to go and got me 2750.

mt100gr.

WKR
Finally shot an xbr ladder. 23.6 got me to 2800fps in my 20”. Now time to see if accuracy is there. 24.2 of varget is about as compressed as I’d like to go and got me 2750.
Tikka?

I haven't started loading for my 20" Tikka yet, as I have a solid stash of 77TMK ammo from Unknown. But I have a few pounds of XBR and some TMKs when the time comes. Just taking notes at this point.

robtattoo

WKR

Heads up, if anyone's looking for a deal on a quality .223 bolt.
I'm happy to play middle man, if needed.